best neo cab to get?

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Hey, Im looking to get a neo cabinet so i can play neo geo the way it was meant to. Im curious which is the best cabinet to get, the 1 , 2 , 4 or 6 slot? I heard the 6 slot is god awful, but havent heard much of the other 3 in terms of performance and reliability.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Any of them will be fine. 6 slots work just fine but they are temperamental with a fluctuating power supply. 6 slot is huge though. IMHO a 4 slot rev. 1 or a 2 slot.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Basically what EG said. It all boils down to your preference.

Personally I have a 4-slot big red Rev 3 (the one with the taller top and the front facing speakers), and a 6-slot big red. The 6-slot board has given me no issues, but if you go that route, its important to have a rock solid power supply, and even with that, mixing too many of the newer games together in all six slots can give you problems as they have a higher power draw just being plugged in. If that happens, you're likely to experience issues with distorted sound, or unexpected reboots.

The same thing can occur with the 4-slot (and it did with me, requiring a new power supply), but its less likely.

If you're just getting started with your first cabinet, I'd say just look for the best deal you can find for a Big Red or Candy, and buy it regardless of how many slots it has. That way you can get your feet wet with it.

One other thing, whenever you buy your cabinet, make sure to visually inspect the boards first for any corrosion, and see if it still has the Neo factory battery of doom. If it has that battery but there's no corrosion, you're safe to purchase, but make sure you get it replaced ASAP.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?203428-The-bad-battery-thread

TobyPC

n00b
I personally use a 4-slot Big Red (without front facing speakers) I have no issues with mine whatsoever.

I personally like the standing position...but if your legs get tired from extended sessions a bar stool is a good thing to have!

edit:
Like mentioned before make sure that battery did not eat any traces on the motherboard if it is leaking. Also, contact cleaner is your friend.

Last edited:

ThGame

Geese's Thug
I have a two slot and it is a tank. Never an issue and always works great with everything. id recommend a 2 or a 4. If the only option at the time of purchase is a 1 than do your research. Some of the older 1 slot boards can have issues.

The main thing is to find a cab though and then you can buy a board of whatever type to place in it

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
I love my 4 slot setup. The machine I picked up had a 1 slot in it with a multicart. When I started collecting games for it, constantly switching games out got frustrating so I picked up a 4 slot board and remedied that.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
MVS U4 if you can score one for a good price. I swear by that cab, it's built so sturdy. It isn't as pretty as a super neo though. I'd go candy if possible.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
MVU4 was my first candy, I second that recommend. I actually like the look way more than any other Neo candy. The only flaw I see on that cab as far as candy goes is the lack of rotating abilities, but then again if it's just for Neo, I think is a top choice if you can find it. Gorgeous Monitor.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i went from a 6 slot deluxe big red to a neo 29.

i have never regretted it once.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I've got a pair of Super Neo 29s and a 4 slot big red and I've had friends with 6 slots, 4 slots, MVU4s, and other neo cabs that I've got to play and work on, and I can tell you you do NOT want a six slot. They are really difficult to transport and get through doorways, and they have the exact same monitors as the 4 slots, just with a wide bezel. Keep in mind you don't need a six slot cab to use a six slot board. I've got a six slot in one of my Super Neo 29s and it works fine.

Aesthetically I prefer the Super Neo 29 and I don't think there is a better Neo cab out there, but the MVU4 is a great sturdy cab and not too difficult to find. The 4 slot big reds are also pretty sturdy and easier to source parts for. It really depends on what's available around you and your preference for US/Japanese sticks and buttons.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm pretty happy with the Super Neo 29 but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for an MVS U4.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I'm pretty happy with the Super Neo 29 but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for an MVS U4.

What does it for me is the control panel. The Super Neo 29's cp has a much better layout and as a result is much less crowded when there are 2 players. Both are excellent cabs.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
super neo 29 panel is prettier then the U4 in appearance, but the U4's second panel under the top panel makes it more sturdy then super neo.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Speaking of sturdy, the super neo 29 is 75% metal which is great... but that other 25% is cheap plastic. Here’s me doing a stress test on a spare control panel upper enclosure:
15030476211_51bff404b3_c.jpg

I still like the SN2, it’s considerably bigger than the 25” MVU4, but not gargantuan like a blast city.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I don't feel the plastic is cheap, it's decent enough, considering it sits on the metal frame and the top panel is in there. It feels better if you level your panel cam locks so it locks good and tight. The tension you show is probably a benefit more then a problem, because the harder the plastic, the less resilient it is to people's stupid behavior. Much rather have ABS that flexes then some that doesn't and can crack more easily.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I didn’t think of it that way, but my bezel frame has a crack and small chip. I did finally get the proper locks and latches for the panel sorted, and you are right about it being good and tight. No sound amp kinda annoys me, on one hand it might just be another thing that can go wrong, but it is annoying having to adjust sound directly from the boards imho.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Goldie or gtfo

He's not gonna find a Goldie and if he does he won't know what he's looking at. Goldie cabs are only for the faithful, most of the Goldies out there don't even get the Black Label Society Black Star treatment, such a disgrace.

I JUST missed out on a Neo Candy listing and now I'm on tilt :mad:

Hunting desperately for an MVS-U4 or Neo Candy at the moment.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I JUST missed out on a Neo Candy listing and now I'm on tilt :mad:

Hunting desperately for an MVS-U4 or Neo Candy at the moment.

This is the second old ass thread I have seen you bump today, stop it. You have one post, you don't come on here trying to buy cabs this way.

vinnieboy1

New Challenger
I have a mvs u4 and I love it. It's solid, made of metal and you can put a 6 slot in if you really want to through the rear door. I had a six slot very temperamental. Got rid of that one and now I just use a 4 slot. Works great never looked back