Is Border Down Worth the Asking Price?

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I love border down, its my favorite shooter on the DC. It isn't for everyone, burn a copy and try it before you buy.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I've actually never played the PCB. I've 1CC'd (nearly 2 loops arg!!) Special but not Original. Gotta try that sometime soon.

I've only played the PCB once, I was at VBA's place and he had it in a Pony cab. The first credit I got to stage 5. The second credit I got to stage 5 on loop 2. Game looked and played crazy in later levels.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Why is that, EG?

Better sound, better config options. That alone is reason enough but then you have both modes available, special and standard. Owning the PCB is great, I love playing it but if I had to choose I'd go Saturn. Same thing goes for Battle Garegga, Kingdom Grand Prix, Sonic Wings Unlimited, Cotton 2 & Boomerang, I seriously could go on and on.

From here on don't question my preferences, just trust me and go with it, you'll be happier for it, I guarantee it! ;)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Pretty sure we should just have a mass crew border down circle jerk pizza party at your place.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
So what's your impressions of the game?

I spent some time with it last night and it's pretty sweet but I'm thankful I didn't dive head first into buying it.

There is definitely room for it to grow on me. Graphics are sweet, weapons are slick and I like the gimmick overall. There is something about G.Rev games that don't click with me right away.

omegasit

Crossed Swords Squire
Border Down was probably my favorite DC shmup. My friends and I played a lot of it.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
played it like crazy when I had a Dreamcast and I'd still be cautious about recommending it. It's a nice looking game, no doubt, but very cold graphics-wise and gameplay that I feel just isn't as satisfying as other shooters you can get for less money.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
played it like crazy when I had a Dreamcast and I'd still be cautious about recommending it. It's a nice looking game, no doubt, but very cold graphics-wise and gameplay that I feel just isn't as satisfying as other shooters you can get for less money.

Pretty much nailed my feelings about the game. I'm very happy I did not reach into my pockets for this one.

Last edited:

powerflower

Banned
Seems to go for around $150, I'm dying for something new but I've never played BD.

Is it worth it?

Is it the special edition with music CD or normal? Either way, BUY IT, instantly!

Perfect grafhics, killer presentation, and a gamesystem which is so unique and challanging (four different endings and lots of stages with the option to "cheat" a little bit...Oh man and the scoring system with your beam (Metal Black members worked on it) and combos and stuff, killing the boss when the timer is zero and things...Not to mention the three borders and to score properly. Even the boss explosions are bombastic.

Do you a favor and buy it. Your Dreamcast will be happy:)

It was hard for me to get it at the beginning but then I found it very satisfying to beam the shit out of everthing. You have to study how it works. Otherwise you will miss completely how it's meant to be played.

Last edited:

sir arthur

War Room Troll
It is a good game but not a great one

The regular version w/o the obi shouldn't cost you more than $80

Border down is amazing...probably ,y favorite shooter. Just be sure you have the dream cast candy stick...it's worth the asking price if you play it a lot. It's one of those games where it's easy to learn from your mistakes and when you screw up you know exactly why. I paid $185 for mine but it was sealed on eBay about a year ago

powerflower

Banned
It is one of those maaany games that screams SEGA DREAMCAST!!

Just perfect nothing less.

Last edited:

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
I'd go ahead and buy it. I think if you're on the border about it....ha!....I'd go ahead and get the regular edition. It is a good game with a good in-game soundtrack. The scoring system is kind of deep. The guys are right. It's not a game you just pick up and run with from time to time. You should talk to the guys over on the shumps board about it. Those guys are insane about these games.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Slowly I've been developing a desire for this game myself and I would LOVE to find it for a hundred bucks someday.....maybe I'll be lucky.
150 is really steep but I will not go the "burn a boot to try it out" route; the pics are so amazing so that I just KNOW I will love "Border Down". No trial necessary. :)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Border Down has the best bass lines in any game OST.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Border Down has the best bass lines in any game OST.

I bump that soundtrack ALL the time. SFEX2 Plus, as well. Love the synth & bass.

I have friends that aren't into videogames at all, that dig them...granted, Return to Forever is a major band in this circle-it's just neat to see the cross over.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
This game is awesome, personally I'm happy with the boot, once the price comes down I might get it.