Is Border Down Worth the Asking Price?

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Seems to go for around $150, I'm dying for something new but I've never played BD.

Is it worth it?

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
If you love shoot-em-ups then Border Down is definitely one of the great ones. It's developed by ex-Taito developers, so it has a G-Darius / Darius Gaiden feel to it IMO. Looks gorgeous on the Dreamcast with a VGA adapter as well.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I really didn't think too much of it at all. I didn't like the '3D' graphics and found the fact that it just gets harder as you lose ships quite annoying. I played it on a backup disc that someone threw in when I bough Ikaruga, so maybe if I'd actually paid the money for it I might have given it more time, but it certainly didn't make me want to own it.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
It's a great game and worth it, IMO. Most people who knock it don't know how to play.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'll hook you up with a boot if you're interested before you take the plunge. Game is great, is it worth 150?...haven't bought it yet, not quite sure if I ever will.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
If you like the play games with rank control its fun. If you just stay green border to clear the game its not worth the price. Red border for score is where its at!

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Border Down is one of those games you just need to sit down and spend a lot of time with. If someone is looking for a game to toss in every once in a while to "just shoot stuff", this won't be worth it.

Since this is the Dreamcast we're talking about, there's always the option to try before you buy. No shame there.

Also is $150 the price for a sealed copy or a collector's edition? Seems a bit high. I saw a couple regular used ones go for under 100 a few years back.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
No, it's not imo. Burn a copy and try it for yourself before you take the plunge. What kind of other shmups do you like?

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
No, it's not imo. Burn a copy and try it for yourself before you take the plunge. What kind of other shmups do you like?

I'm a fan of the older, late 80's/ early 90's Toaplan style. Pskiyo and Toaplan are my favs. Sadly, I can't burn at the moment.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I'm a fan of the older, late 80's/ early 90's Toaplan style. Pskiyo and Toaplan are my favs. Sadly, I can't burn at the moment.

First, I'd say go for it on Border Down. It was a popular pick on people's top 5 hori/tate shmups lists. If it's good enough to be top 5 for several people, at what price point is it not worth it - when there's a healthy resale market if all goes wrong?

Second, a left field suggestion. Ever check out Jamestown? It's on Steam, and I just did a quick google search and it's on PS4 under the title Jamestown Plus as well, apparently. If you're looking for something new but a bit familiar with your tastes, it's really worth a shot - especially at the price point between $5 and $15 (maybe even with a playable demo?). They pay homage to several game companies, but I'm with you as a Toaplan fan.

lidiaandmichael

Crazed MVS Addict
I really enjoyed it but it is a game that you need to play alot and not just every now and then. Just get the regular edition.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Dude I can make you a copy, just lmk. I'd say Border Down has more in common with Darius than any psikyo or toaplan game.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Border Down is one of my fave hori shmups ever made. Dunno if it's worth $150 for you but it definitely is a great game.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Fuck yeah, it's worth it. The only shmups on top of it - on my list anyway - are Batsugun and Futari.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Got both, love both, I'm keeping both, but Saturn is still king.