Neo Geo NoOb saying whatup

warbucks

n00b
Finally able to post a welcome thread. I am new to the world of Neo Geo so I am sure I will be asking a bunch of noob questions (of course after googling it and searching forums for the answers.) ;)
I am 37 from Florida, I do not have any Neo Geo items at this point.. but that will soon change.

I am a huge Nintendo collector (have around 625 nes games (going for complete set) as well as a ton of N64, SNES,Virtual Boy, GB, GBA, etc... I also collect turbografx, atari lynx, and a ton of other systems.

I saw a Neo Geo 4 slot cab a few weeks ago that got away from me now I am on the hunt for one. I am from the Tampa Bay area in Florida. I haven't had any luck tracking one down. I am ready to shell out some bucks but nothing to shell it out on :(

I did find a craigslist ad about 6 hours away from me for a 6 slot cab for $600 but I haven't heard positive things about 6 slots. Do you think I should pick up the 6 slot (the guy says it works fine) and replace it with a 4 slot setup? Is that even possible?

Any advice and guidance in getting into Neo Geo MVS carts and cab would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. I am also in Tampa (and so are a few other members). MVS is the way to go but even that's quite expensive now. Deals are few and far between but persistence is occasionally rewarded. The cab supply around these parts is pretty dry so you might consider the consolized MVS route. 6-slots are considered unreliable but so are 4-slots in my experience. There is a wealth of tech knowledge here though, if you're able and willing to get your hands dirty.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Whats up Tampa bro, we have a local group you should join. A lot of us get together often for epic game nights and hit up all the local game spots and play a lot of awesome games https://www.facebook.com/groups/TampaBayRetroGamers/

Good luck on finding a cab. There's a couple auctions every year in FL and there's always a couple neo cabs (usually conversions)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Do you think I should pick up the 6 slot (the guy says it works fine) and replace it with a 4 slot setup? Is that even possible?

Any advice and guidance in getting into Neo Geo MVS carts and cab would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, you can switch boards. Just be aware that the Multislots have a different pinout than the Singleslots (the latter are all JAMMA). Check out hardmvs.com for more info. But why replace the board if it works fine? I'd stick to the 6slot in a cab made for it, if you can, because you'll have 6 mini marques and those can/should be lit up :)

What you should do if you get any MVS motherboard is change the battery (an array of tutorials are for example found on Jamma-Nation-X). Sometimes renewing the Capacitors in the audio section is also a good thing to do to bust the sound. Consider getting a Unibios... if you're going to get into arcade stuff, you should teach yourself a little about electronics, soldering etc.

Also, if you get new MVS games, take out the boards the right way, inspect them for damage and make sure you didn't buy a boot on accident using MVS-scans.com. Clean the contacts with the right cleaner (not alcohol but something like DeOxit D5).

... you'll find a lot of knowledge here and on the rest of the web. Just keep on doing your own research, read and post a little - you'll be on your way into the hobby. It's good to have a thick skin around these part though :glee:

warbucks

n00b
Whats up Tampa bro, we have a local group you should join. A lot of us get together often for epic game nights and hit up all the local game spots and play a lot of awesome games https://www.facebook.com/groups/TampaBayRetroGamers/

Good luck on finding a cab. There's a couple auctions every year in FL and there's always a couple neo cabs (usually conversions)

Awesome, I joined the group.. looking forward to some fun

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
you got punky cyborg and wyo geo local to you, so you are already in good hands ;) from one noob to another, welcome man!

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Welcome warbucks, as everyone has already stated you can find everything you ever need to know on Neo here. You are already trying to be part of the community, which is a very good start enjoy.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Is it worth it to buy a cab shell for $150 and build on it or wait and find a completed one?
Here is the Craigslist add. It is about 1.5 hours away...
http://orlando.craigslist.org/wan/4931491822.html

That cab has been for sale for months. It's probably pretty busted or someone would have bought it already. If the monitor works and it's in reasonable shape, maybe offer $100.

jon713

Camel Slug
I did find a craigslist ad about 6 hours away from me for a 6 slot cab for $600 but I haven't heard positive things about 6 slots. Do you think I should pick up the 6 slot (the guy says it works fine) and replace it with a 4 slot setup? Is that even possible?

600 Seems a bit much I would try to bring him em down to $400-450. 6 slots are problematic best to switch to a 4. Condition and Monitor quality is key, make sure the monitor is tip top or your expenses will start to add up.

Welcome to the Neo (Expensive) Hobby!

John