Wii U or PS4, which should I get?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Last night I figured I'd waste some time on Mario Kart on the U. By the time my Wii downloaded all the system updates that let me play online I was onto something else.

I say get both...two very different systems. The first party Nintendo stuff is amazing. The wii u library has a good 25 must have blockbuster titles and will keep you occupied for a while...wait on the ps4 there is not a whole lot of exclusives or anything worth bragging over yet. I owned a ps4 and sold it. The wii u hasn't left my shelf since launch day and gets played weekly if not more.

NeoEsteria

n00b
Wii U has amazing first-party exclusives. The Mario, Zelda, and Kirby games are divine. And I'm pumped for Splatoon which just came out yesterday(?).

PS4 gets a big "meh" from me at this point. The flashy AAA stuff does nothing for me - I crave simplistic old-school gameplay, not realistic graphics and cutscenes. I'll concede that my views may change years from now. Initially the PS3 didn't do it for me but games like 3D Dot Game Heroes, Demon's Souls, and Valkyria Chronicles had me changing my mind pretty quickly.

katsudoro

War Room Troll
I would get the PS4 for the dark souls/bloodborne games. Totally worth playing.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Pretty nice Wii U bundle coming out for Black Friday.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Something to consider. Getting a WiiU also nets you a Wii. You may have the AES / MVS versions already, but the Wii does have a huge amount of retro games on its virtual console. The WiiU has earthbound. And its rather nice to play some of these classics on the WiiU pad.

The WiiU has some of the best platformers from its Wii BC and for the WiiU.
It has as other people said the best version of Bayonetta, Sonic Racing, and Deus X

Smash Brothers WiiU is amazing, Tekken WiiU is worth it just to see Heihachi in a mario costume.

PS4 may get some decent titles next year making it a more interesting sell, but considering its current library, I'd wait and see, they may reduce price.

Another option is the Vita. It has a lot of amazing niche japanese games for it, and it also lets you play a decent chunk of PS1 titles and PSP titles.

I also think the WiiU games will become rare and collectable in the years to come. The system is selling worse than dreamcast, so I doubt there are huge production runs of its games. So its library will probably end up like the Saturn's games, some will become dirt cheap, but all the good games may fetch Saturn-like prices. (Around $200 to $300 ).

Horii also made a solid fight stick for the Wii, which does work with WiiU titles.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
I like my Wii U and play it often. We moved about 6 months ago and I still haven't even hooked up my XB1 yet (although Halo 5 is tempting). I was given a free PS4 about a month ago and I still haven't even bought a game for it. Overall this generation sucks IMO.

Splatoon proved to be pretty good. I actually liked it more before the updates. It's disappointing because it could have been great, stellar even.

I loved Captain Toad, fantastic game.

3D World was good, but 3D Land was so much better.

Mario Kart 8 rocks. This alone is worth getting a Wii U for.

Yoshi's Woolly World is mediocre to terrible. Really disappointing.

Rayman Origins is one of the best platformers to come out in years. Legends isn't as good, but the Wii U version is the best one if this series interests you.

DK Tropical Freeze is good, but not as good as DKC Returns.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
This thread got me fetch my horri pads, and play Samuri Shodown on it again. (I have the Anthology Wii disc). Really want to get the originals when I can.

I also ordered the Data East Anthology (which is becoming rare in and of itself) to find out is up with Magical Drop 3. ($60 much cheaper than 1.5K)

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
I love my Wii-U Nintendo has great Games it what they do, only games I've wanted to play on the other 2 consoles I picked up for my ps3- Transformers Devastation (runs same on Ps3), MGS ( plays well on ps3) and the only one i can't play is the last Batman Arkham but it didnt sound like it was as good as advertised and the WiiU got the last one after a year exclusivity so ill wait and see. Buy Wii-U now and a PS4 in 3 years when its dirt cheap and theres some quality games released.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I love my Wii-U Nintendo has great Games it what they do, only games I've wanted to play on the other 2 consoles I picked up for my ps3- Transformers Devastation (runs same on Ps3), MGS ( plays well on ps3) and the only one i can't play is the last Batman Arkham but it didnt sound like it was as good as advertised and the WiiU got the last one after a year exclusivity so ill wait and see. Buy Wii-U now and a PS4 in 3 years when its dirt cheap and theres some quality games released.

No offense bro but the Wii U version of Arkham City is a freaking joke. Stay away from it. Oh and I wouldn't get my hopes too high about a Wii U version of Arkham Knight. It wouldn't make any sense for them to make such a move at this point. They didn't even bother making PS360 versions of the game so yeah.

I own both systems and I kind of agree with FinalbossNYC to a certain extent. It really depends on what kind of player you are. The Wii U library is great but it won't last long if you play a lot of single player games.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I own both and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I prefer the PS4. I'm one of those guys that actually like the remasters, plus we're getting that Final Fantasy 7 remake in the (near, hopefully) future...if you're into that. At this point, if you want a Nintendo console, you might be better off waiting for the new one. MK8 and Rayman Legends ARE awesome though.

Qcf+lp

Kuroko's Training Dummy
PS4, the Wii U has some good games, but the PS4 has a much bigger library.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Hey lamer, what's the deal? trying to coop some posts or WTF?!

At any rate, the right answer is both, stop being cheap bastards and get on with it.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Nintendo just released Nintendo Selects versions of Pikmin 3, DK Tropical Freeze, Mario 3D World and a few others all for $20. I'd go with the Wii U.

Im guessing the OP of this thread mad a decision a while ago......but if not, I would say get a Wii U for sure but wait a couple of months as given the announcement and release date confirmation of its replacement, I would imagine it will begin to come down in price.