Wii U or PS4, which should I get?

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
The Nintendo WiiU seems to be almost done with released since the NX was announced. Whatever titles they have left to release hopefully are good.

Gooby pls.

Seriously, though. The then known 'Ultra 64' (though I think when it was announced as 'project reality' at the time..I might be wrong.) was rumored and announced about 2-2 1/2 years into the SNES life cycle, and in turn the Gamecube (announced initially as the Dolphin) was announced roughly the same time into (maybe a few months more, give or take) into the N64 life cycle. Both systems hung in there for a long while after said announcements and gave us lots of goodies to chew on before the next system saw the light of day, then there was the closing overlap between systems we always see.

TL/DR; The time for this kind of announcement feels plenty right, and the Wii U still has awhile yet before it'll be laid down. Plenty of good stuff is still yet to come, and that's just stuff that they've actually confirmed, as Neorebel said.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I ended up buying a PS4 today. Axiom Verge comes out at the end of the month. Definitely getting it. Weird that it took two years for this game to be released when it was announced back in 2012. I think that, The Last of Us, and then Bloodborne will keep me occupied for a while.. and maybe Chasm.

Check out Helldivers. It took me by surprise, and got me to power-up my PS4 after a 2-month hiatus from Destiny.

Helldivers is a twin-stick shooter, but with more team-based tactical gameplay. The difficulty is high, and so is the skill level needed, but for $15 the game is high value. Lots of fun, and pretty addictive.
It's also got a Starship Troopers vibe going on, which is a win for me.

It was developed by the same company that made the first Magicka, and has some similar traits, especially when it comes to hilarious team kills. :D

Completely a sleeper hit IMO.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
nice! congrats!

word of advice- upgrade the hdd right away.
I take it because it's a PITA to upgrade the HDD?
If so, I just read the new firmware upgrade for the PS4 that might address this problem. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015...te-2-50-available-tomorrow-features-detailed/

Back-Up and Restore HDD to USB — Back-up and restore your hard disc drive data associated with users on your PS4, including settings, saved data, screenshots and video clips as well as games, patches and download data, to and from an external USB drive.

Suspend/Resume is neat too, but it looks like it all depends on whether games support it.

the7k

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I have a Wii U. It's collecting dust, but at least I've got a good bit of fun out of Bayonetta, Shantae and Smash.

As I look at the PS4 and XB1, I see literally no games I actually want on either of them aside from Bloodborn that I can't get on PC and have run a thousand times better.

Take whatever money you would spend on a PS4/XB1, upgrade your mobo/graphics card/CPU/whatever needs to be upgraded, and call it a day.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Check out Helldivers. It took me by surprise, and got me to power-up my PS4 after a 2-month hiatus from Destiny.

Helldivers is a twin-stick shooter, but with more team-based tactical gameplay. The difficulty is high, and so is the skill level needed, but for $15 the game is high value. Lots of fun, and pretty addictive.
It's also got a Starship Troopers vibe going on, which is a win for me.

It was developed by the same company that made the first Magicka, and has some similar traits, especially when it comes to hilarious team kills. :D

Completely a sleeper hit IMO.

that was a fun trailer, quite suprised. cheers

I am Wii U owner since day, and I enjoying it quite a lot.
The main point is that, what kind of game do you want to play. If are not that interested in Nintendo stuff, go for a PS4, because the odds of AAA third parties games be released for the console is quite high.

Nintendo home consoles, are "born" to be second option for most people. Besides me, I don't know any other person that just have a Nintendo console.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I bought a WiiU for my GF for Xmas, this way I can play a bit of it and be done. Not getting one for myself though, don't feel the need...yet. PS4, well maybe when SFV comes out. XBOX One...maybe if Raiden V is awesome...maybe.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I bought a WiiU for my GF for Xmas, this way I can play a bit of it and be done. Not getting one for myself though, don't feel the need...yet. PS4, well maybe when SFV comes out. XBOX One...maybe if Raiden V is awesome...maybe.

Well said. Fighters and shooters are my favorite genres and exclusives or 'best ways to play' these titles are what would entice me to buy a console, with RPGs coming in next after that...

Slugger

Marked Wolf
I have a Wii U and love it. The line-up is much better than the PS4 currently has imho. The PS4 doesn't have anything interesting besides bloodborne. It's even better off getting a PS3 right now. Tons of quality games available cheap. I think the PS4 will kick in 2016-2017 when the heavy hitter games get released.

Last edited:

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
I have a Wii U and love it. The line-up is much better than the PS4 currently has imho. The PS4 doesn't have anything interesting besides bloodborne. It's even better off getting a PS3 right now. Tons of quality games available cheap. I think the PS4 will kick in 2016-2017 when the heavy hitter games get released.

I agree that the PS3 has an awesome lineup and a lot of life left in it but not anything interesting on the PS4 besides Bloodborne? Here are some titles for you

1) The Order: 1886
2) DRIVECLUB
3) Toukiden: Kiwami

It all depends what you want though. It has some good remasters (TLOU, GTAV), tons of indies especially through PS Plus and many good upcoming titles (Batman Arkham Knight, Uncharted 4, etc)

Really depends on what kind of gamer you are to be honest.

statix138

Crossed Swords Squire
I like them both but I only recommend people get a Wii U if they like Nintendo 1st party games like anything Mario or Zelda. Most, not all, of the 3rd party stuff is pretty underwhelming or you can find it on another console.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member

If you do end up getting a ps3 I recommend checking out Gamefly's selling section. They frequently run awesome sales and everything I've bought from them has arrived in minty condition - much better alternative to Gamestop.

Slugger

Marked Wolf
I agree that the PS3 has an awesome lineup and a lot of life left in it but not anything interesting on the PS4 besides Bloodborne? Here are some titles for you

1) The Order: 1886
2) DRIVECLUB
3) Toukiden: Kiwami

It all depends what you want though. It has some good remasters (TLOU, GTAV), tons of indies especially through PS Plus and many good upcoming titles (Batman Arkham Knight, Uncharted 4, etc)

Really depends on what kind of gamer you are to be honest.

So true. I'm definitely buying a PS4 at some point.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Anybody going mostly digital with their purchases? Was considering it for remote play via my PS Vita.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Wii U is great to play co op games with wife and kids. PS4 is more for playing alone or online, but that too has the occasional family friendly game. I have both and no regrets about either machine. PS4 is the more all around package with greater variety and more potential. Wii U you should almost only think in terms of what games in its library that are already available would appeal to you. Get it for the first party games.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
So funny story.. someone broke into my apartment on Friday and stole my PS4.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
If you had bought a Wii U it'd still be there.

Bing147

n00b
LMAO, I'm really sorry to hear about your system. I went with both and no regrets. I probably play the PS4 more because I have NBA 2k on it and I'm addicted, but the Wii U has more good games at the moment.

alsmoneo

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi have the PS4 and had the Wii U... The PS4 ...is collecting dust. next gen has way to many rehash/ HD version... mult player is somewhat better on the Wii U (if your definition of multiplayer is playing with friends and family at home). I only got the PS4 (I think mainly due to all the hype and maybe Uncharted 4). If you like playing shooters I would go with Xbone.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Anybody going mostly digital with their purchases? Was considering it for remote play via my PS Vita.

No. The repeated problems that people have had with digital copies of games (Far Cry 4 on XB1, preorders for, fuck, what was it, something on PS4, the accidental 35 GB patch for digital copies of AC Unity on XB1, some other Ubi game locking people out) have strongly pushed me to the side of preferring physical media. Vita isn't quite the same, there's a shit ton of stuff on there that you can only get on digital, and I haven't heard of problems with stuff on there, but I'm not overconfident in the consoles.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
For handhelds, I've found it much more convenient to go mostly digital, I've never once had a problem with it (speaking as a 3DS user, don't have a Vita, yet) But for consoles, no way. Physical every time its possible. Unless of course you just went the PC route this gen, then you really don't have a lot of choice in the matter. Even if you do buy physical, they all require an additional online client of some kind to even launch.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Wii U is worth it for the Mario games alone, if that's your thing. I gave up on my PS3 a few years ago, got sick of putting a new game in and waiting 2 hours for the updates to download, though I suppose I can go back and see what's good that can be had on the cheap.