Wii U or PS4, which should I get?

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Mario Kart and SSB are 'kiddie games?' Funny, I think kiddies are more interested in COD...

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Mario Kart and SSB are 'kiddie games?' Funny, I think kiddies are more interested in COD...
LOL.

Inability to comprehend context whereby the same sentence's subsequent text inferred sarcasm.

Continue?

-

(p.s. you have 0 Credits and no "quarters" at this point, btw)

ThGame

Geese's Thug
I ended up buying a PS4 today. Axiom Verge comes out at the end of the month. Definitely getting it. Weird that it took two years for this game to be released when it was announced back in 2012. I think that, The Last of Us, and then Bloodborne will keep me occupied for a while.. and maybe Chasm.

Nice!! Youll be happy with it im sure. Also look into binding of issac rebirth, dont starve, rogue legacy for sandbox type indies that can provide a ton of quality gaming time and transistor, bastion (coming soon) child of light, and valiant hearts for awesome story driven experiences!!!

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
You should still pick up a wiiU at some point, it's a fantastic system with a ton of first party games, not to mention the backwards compatibility giving you access to a slew of Wii games worth owning as well.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Based solely on what you said, I think it's pretty clearly the PS4. If you're even lukewarm about Nintendo's in-house games, the Wii U isn't gonna do it for you. There is ZERO third party support and, outside of Bayonetta 2, there are very few interesting risks being taken on the platform. It's all just Nintendo's incredibly polished, safe iterations on their franchises. I'm hopeful Splatoon brings Nintendo's unique magic to 3rd person shooters but the rest is cute platformers and Zelda.

All of the independent development is happening on PS4 and, to a lesser extent, the XBOne. All of the best Japanese games are coming to PS4 (that aren't in the mobile space) and while there's very little exclusive stuff currently, there's plenty in the pipe and we all pretty much know what the Wii U is going to be a this point (the Gamecube: a handful of great Nintendo games, a couple of fantastic third-party games that Nintendo pays for limited exclusivity on and not much else).

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
LOL.

Inability to comprehend context whereby the same sentence's subsequent text inferred sarcasm.

Continue?

-

(p.s. you have 0 Credits and no "quarters" at this point, btw)

I wasn't addressing your posts specifically man, just making a general comment. I just think it's funny how people talk about certain video games as 'for kids,' and others are 'for adults.' (teens+?) I was pointing out that most 'adults' I know are interested in Nintendo titles.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Based solely on what you said, I think it's pretty clearly the PS4. If you're even lukewarm about Nintendo's in-house games, the Wii U isn't gonna do it for you. There is ZERO third party support and, outside of Bayonetta 2, there are very few interesting risks being taken on the platform. It's all just Nintendo's incredibly polished, safe iterations on their franchises. I'm hopeful Splatoon brings Nintendo's unique magic to 3rd person shooters but the rest is cute platformers and Zelda.

Theres ZombiU, Ninja Gaiden 3, Bayo 2 (which you mentioned), Hyrule Warriors, Wonderful 101. I'm curious what you consider interesting risks on Xbone or PS4. From what I'm seeing it's the typical AAA churn and burn, safe as can be bewlshit we saw last gen.

Most of the above games have very mature language and content, and completely fly in the face of the typical Nintendo systems are for kids line of thought. These risks didn't pay off very much, but were risks when you get down to it.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Theres ZombiU, Ninja Gaiden 3, Bayo 2 (which you mentioned), Hyrule Warriors, Wonderful 101. I'm curious what you consider interesting risks on Xbone or PS4. From what I'm seeing it's the typical AAA churn and burn, safe as can be bewlshit we saw last gen.

Hey now, I know you aren't trying to dog Dragon Quest Heroes! :)

qurao

n00b
Based solely on what you said, I think it's pretty clearly the PS4.
I completely agree, it seems beigemore pretty much answered his own question. I personally had both a PS4 and a Wii U, and I chose to sell the PS4 off while keeping the Wii U; for me Nintendo's first-party titles make the console worth it, and since my PC can blow the PS4 out of the water, I'd really only have been keeping the console for Bloodborne and Persona 5.

pepharytheworm

Super Sidekicks 3
I haven't seen the new consoles take risk with any new ips
Splatoon seems like a new risk ip from Nintendo. Hopefully it catches on, not because I neccessarily want that game but so Nintendo will make more ips. Wonderful 101 also a new IP that was a risk and sadly they lost, as the game is enjoyable.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
oh and the reason why there are very few games of any worth announced at this point for either next gen system (apart from the fact that they probably cost ridiculous amounts to make) - people are buying the systems anyway. from that standpoint there really isn't much incentive to bring out The Last Guardian or anything of that ilk. you don't have any risk taking anymore and that means new IPs are few and far between.

100proof

10 Year Member

Most of the above games have very mature language and content, and completely fly in the face of the typical Nintendo systems are for kids line of thought. These risks didn't pay off very much, but were risks when you get down to it.

I started writing this post like 3 times and erased it because I don't want to beat up Nintendo or fight about console bullshit. "Mature" and risk-averse are two totally different things. My point was that if you like Nintendo's games, that's great but they suffer from the exact same "churn and burn" that every other major publisher works under. Nintendo releases 5 or 6 games a year and usually all but one are sequels or re-imaginings of popular franchises. Hell, they've even gotten in to the same lazy HD reimagining bullshit that plagues the PS4/Xbone. Nintendo makes terrific, highly-polished fun video games but if those games aren't your style, there's not much else available on the Wii U and there ain't a lot more coming.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I own both a Wii U and a PS4 and I'd say neither of them are must-haves at this point.

If you like Nintendo games then you need a Wii U, there are already plenty of them to enjoy, but not a lot else. I'd say I've spent more time actually playing games on my Wii U because I really enjoy Nintendo games, but my PS4 gets a lot more use because it's used to watch films (although this is nothing the PS3 can't do). The free games on PS plus give me another excuse to use it, I haven't put a lot of time into any of these games but it's fun giving them a try.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
I haven't seen anything to lure me away from my WiiU. SSB, MK8, Mario 3D World, Hyrule Warriors, Pikmin 3, Virtual Console that can do Off-TV play and a vWii that I can still run homebrew on kept me loyal.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I started writing this post like 3 times and erased it because I don't want to beat up Nintendo or fight about console bullshit. "Mature" and risk-averse are two totally different things. My point was that if you like Nintendo's games, that's great but they suffer from the exact same "churn and burn" that every other major publisher works under. Nintendo releases 5 or 6 games a year and usually all but one are sequels or re-imaginings of popular franchises. Hell, they've even gotten in to the same lazy HD reimagining bullshit that plagues the PS4/Xbone. Nintendo makes terrific, highly-polished fun video games but if those games aren't your style, there's not much else available on the Wii U and there ain't a lot more coming.

With most any other platform I would agree, but I feel Mature and Risk are mutual when it comes to a Nintendo platform given the majority of their userbase and the console having a family centric stigma. It is a risk for them to put out games on this console with those themes because most fanboys who only see a correlation between violence/mature = hardcore haven't had a nintendo console since the SNES, that demographic was lost long ago.

I can't deny that they also put out HD remasters and some rehash either but it sounds like we agree on what Nintendo puts out is quality. I was more interested in what you felt was a risk or cutting edge on either of the new systems, because really I just don't see it.

100proof

10 Year Member
With most any other platform I would agree, but I feel Mature and Risk are mutual when it comes to a Nintendo platform given the majority of their userbase and the console having a family centric stigma. It is a risk for them to put out games on this console with those themes because most fanboys who only see a correlation between violence/mature = hardcore haven't had a nintendo console since the SNES, that demographic was lost long ago.

I can't deny that they also put out HD remasters and some rehash either but it sounds like we agree on what Nintendo puts out is quality. I was more interested in what you felt was a risk or cutting edge on either of the new systems, because really I just don't see it.

I suppose that depends on what you mean by cutting edge. The AAA companies mostly just iterate and churn out sequels but even within them there's some risk-taking (EA putting out Dead Space and Mirror's Edge last gen, Ubi releasing the Ubi-Art games Child of Light, Valiant Hearts and Grow Home, etc.).

The big difference in my mind (and where the risks are being taken at this point) is the investment in to the digital platform and the small-team independent scene. Where as Nintendo has shown little to no interest in courting indie games even in cases where the developers were excited to have their games on Nintendo's platforms, Sony has spent time and money investing in the next generation of developers. Granted, indie games are just as hit and miss as any other breed or size of game and there's a lot of Metroidvanias and puzzle-platformers coming out but you can't deny that the PS4 digital store already has a wide breadth of non-standard (non-FPS/TPS, non-western RPG, non-same old shit) games that people actually want to play where as the Wii U store is a wasteland of full-priced retail games and shovelware bullshit.

Probably half of my 10 favorite games from the previous generation were $10-$15 downloadable games and the fact that Nintendo hasn't figured that part of this business out yet is depressing as shit.

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
The big difference in my mind (and where the risks are being taken at this point) is the investment in to the digital platform and the small-team independent scene. Where as Nintendo has shown little to no interest in courting indie games even in cases where the developers were excited to have their games on Nintendo's platforms, Sony has spent time and money investing in the next generation of developers. Granted, indie games are just as hit and miss as any other breed or size of game and there's a lot of Metroidvanias and puzzle-platformers coming out but you can't deny that the PS4 digital store already has a wide breadth of non-standard (non-FPS/TPS, non-western RPG, non-same old shit) games that people actually want to play where as the Wii U store is a wasteland of full-priced retail games and shovelware bullshit.

Probably half of my 10 favorite games from the previous generation were $10-$15 downloadable games and the fact that Nintendo hasn't figured that part of this business out yet is depressing as shit.
I was quite disappointed to see the WiiU's downloadable offerings. I never thought I'd say this, but they need to get better at advertising. The WiiU store feels sluggish and sterile, and it takes way too long to grab a trailer or demo. I'm not going to buy a DRM-locked non-refundable $30 title without at least playing a few minutes first.

PublicEnemy

Cheng's Errand Boy
The Nintendo WiiU seems to be almost done with released since the NX was announced. Whatever titles they have left to release hopefully are good.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
The Nintendo WiiU seems to be almost done with released since the NX was announced. Whatever titles they have left to release hopefully are good.

I think the Wii U has a while yet. Nintendo is always working on their next console, as usual. We still have Zelda, Kirby and Starfox titles, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, a Grounding Inc title of some kind, possibly some sort of Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem game, and that's just the big ones we know about right now.

statix138

Crossed Swords Squire

While the Wii U is considered a financial disaster I see it still having a bit of life left in it. The Nintendo first party titles always attract a bunch of people.