Wii U or PS4, which should I get?

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I want to get a new game console but I'm not sure about which one to get. The only other true consoles I have right now are N64 and an NES, which are stored in the closet. I recently got a 3DS and have really enjoyed that, which has moved me to looking into a console.

I had a PS3 and a 360. Probably played the PS3 more.

Wii U: I'd mostly be getting this for Mario Kart, and then maybe for that Toad platformer. Other than Mario Kart and possibly Wind Waker, I don't see any other games that really appeal to me. I really, really want to play a lot of Mario Kart.

PS4: I'd mostly be getting this to play The Last of Us and Dragon Quest Heroes, and possibly Axiom Verge and Disgaea. I'm a HUGE Dragon Quest fan.

Last generation I probably enjoyed Mod Nation Racers, Lords of Shadow, and God of War 3 the most of all games I owned. Need for Speed as fun, too, I guess. I don't care about the media functionality of xbone.

So which should I get? A Wii U or a PS4? Should I just not get one and wait to see what comes out later? I've already got several 3DS games I haven't even started, but playing on the big screen would be nice since I never really use my TV anymore.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
As a Wii U owner I can safely say skip it. There really isn't any good games for the system other then Bayoneta 2. I haven't looked into the PS4 much but from what I've seen it sounds like the better choice.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
sounds a lot like you need to decide what kind of games you'd be playing more of. Wii U has a lot of platformers that are a ton of fun, as well as the best version of Bayonetta and Deus Ex I've seen so far. PS4 is more on the modern, shinier games that are heavy on online multiplayer; I'm not too keen on what PS4 offers beyond TLOU, Diablo 3, and some upcoming stuff like Bloodborne and such. Check out some of the integral games of each system, and see if they look like fun.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
if you cant live without 1st party nintendo games, then thats your answer.

im very happy with my ps4. Im having a blast with the ps+ free games every month plus a few other titles. I always have something new to enjoy. It's still early yet in this gen- so the games will come, even if it seems like it is taking forever.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Kind of sucks that there are only a few "winner" games out there. I hate spending $300-400 just to play a game or two (Neo Geo aside).

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
you can browse the forums on the gamepad of wiiu?

I'm still not sure which one you want more though?

I would recomend wiiu for all the ''kidstuf'' mario games like whatever the new 2d one that can has the lugi addon and 3dworld because of all the bright cheery colors.

ps4 is probably more hardcore gamer by far. how long until they go down to like 150 us$?

edit:its not exclusive? or is it, thats right it was spose to be but then it wasn't. anyhow I like being able to be Ayane in Razors edge. gotta try to get that wall running crystal skull again now that I have the pro'?' controller.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
The PS4 has a brighter future.

But seeing as you only own NES, N64 & 3DS... either a WiiU or SNES might be the better choice for you ;)

Here's a list of WiiU titles btw: http://www.nintendolife.com/wiiu/games?title=&region=pal&publisher=&players=&genre=&submit=Filter

WiiU has some solid (i.e. a great few), quality titles available for it right now. But, depending on your gaming habits, you'll either stomp through these really quickly or enjoy replaying them until newer titles release.

The culture is, nowadays, to buy a game on release day, spend 40+ hours playing it continuously the following week, cite it as 'enjoyable' whilst accepting you'll never play it or discuss it again in your gaming lifetime pending the inevitable sequel, then trade it in the following release day of so-called longly anticipated sequel 'x' at a considerable loss to ones self (approx 50% value loss on part-ex) and then repeat process continuously until PS5 releases. Then all your PS4 equipment and 10's of games gets traded in towards PS5/XB2/WiiBe (or whatever) to the value of 2x Large Domino's Pizza with a 1.5L bottle of Coca Cola.

By contrast, I reckon the Nintendo 1st party titles will retain value and replayability.

The choice is yours...

Last edited:

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
If you have young kids, get a wii U. The Mario games are really top notch and very family friendly. If you do not have kids, go with the PS4, it will last you longer and the DQO will be a great game (hopefully). PS4 if you want RPGs. XB1 if you like FPS. WiiU if you want Mario/Zelda/Pokémon/FireEmblem

ThGame

Geese's Thug
Ps4 is the way to go. Its been doing everything right. The indie lineup is fantastic and has your retro style games covered like you said axiom verge transistor bastion binding of issac rogue galaxy ect. bloodborne. ... nothing left to say but bloodborne Fuck i cant wait to get my hands on that game

PublicEnemy

Cheng's Errand Boy
I am surprised most of the people in the thread are saying PS4 when it's exclusives aren't any good.

NeoGeoNinja

The whole situation is underpinned by any individuals subjective opinion on the matter.

However, more realistically, the PS4 WILL be successful and even the XB1 has room for growth whilst trying to move forward from Don Mattricks horrible launch failings (read: Microsofts arrogance after the 360's success)

The WiiU is very much tailored to specific tastes and, they're not everyone's tastes (re: "kiddie games" or, as I like to think of/term them, games designed for anyone and everyone to enjoy). By contrast, the other consoles have a wider gamut of titles and genres available to them, suitable for differing age demographics as opposed to being solely targeted at the widest possible audience with every release, which, coming back to it, is oddly quite a specific aspect.

WiiU has (critically speaking) some great, solid games. But, ironically, as much as they're designed for everyone, they're not for everyone.

Long term, the PS4 or even XB1 are the better 'bet'. Bloodborne, for a start, will be the best game seen so far this generation...

Last edited:

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Wow Bloodborne looks pretty awesome. Will probably go with PS4.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Wow Bloodborne looks pretty awesome. Will probably go with PS4.

Good choice. You can always grab a used Wii U later to play Mario Kart 8. With the upcoming Xenoblade and Zelda, there will be like 10 Wii U games really worth owning. It isn't much but you know they're pretty damn good. My favorite are Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Rayman Legends (best version of the game IMO), Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong, Pikmin 3 and Smash Bros.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
had a ps4 and sold it after 6 months or so. don't miss it. it's a souless system, not what I would even deem a console that much.
will probably pick up a WiiU at some point, see what Nintendo are up to.

Bloodborne is the only game that makes me want to own a PS4 and that is a very weak reason indeed, since it's a single game. Uncharted is as fun to me as watching paint dry - SFV is years away.
the indie thing is by and large pretentious unexciting crap.
the industry is probably putting their efforts in what may next be big (VR) I dunno.
since games have practically stopped being made by the japanese at a consistent rate, it's all stagnated.

sorry about being so negative but the whole playing field is mightily disappointing to me these days, and I would probably advice to get a Wii U if you can pick it up cheapish. at least it's a console, a toy, something to play with and play on. PS4 is more of a device, something for simulators and pc-style 'fun'.

NeoGeoNinja

had a ps4 and sold it after 6 months or so. don't miss it. it's a souless system, not what I would even deem a console that much.
will probably pick up a WiiU at some point, see what Nintendo are up to.

Buys PS4 within first year. Sells it after owning half a year of consoles entire 1yr lifespan, citing: "PS4 is more of a device, something for simulators and pc-style 'fun'".

Well. That was money wisely spent.

If you're interested, I'm selling a car, but be... forewarned; It has 4 wheels, a roof, seats inside, can be *gasp* driven BUT only withon certain speed restrictions and will, sadly, need refueling from time to time. Just in case you weren't aware...

NeoGeoNinja

Good choice. You can always grab a used Wii U later to play Mario Kart 8. With the upcoming Xenoblade and Zelda, there will be like 10 Wii U games really worth owning. It isn't much but you know they're pretty damn good. My favorite are Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Rayman Legends (best version of the game IMO), Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong, Pikmin 3 and Smash Bros.
MarioKart 8. MarioKart in general.

So. Overrated. Good, solid games but... so overrated.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Buys PS4 within first year. Sells it after owning half a year of consoles entire 1yr lifespan, citing: "PS4 is more of a device, something for simulators and pc-style 'fun'".

Well. That was money wisely spent.

If you're interested, I'm selling a car, but be... forewarned; It has 4 wheels, a roof, seats inside, can be *gasp* driven BUT only withon certain speed restrictions and will, sadly, need refueling from time to time. Just in case you weren't aware...

que?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
point I was trying to make - PS4 does not provide a console gaming experience in the manner previous gaming consoles have done. gaming consoles had up until the 128bit generation a symbiotic relationship to arcade games. obviously that stopped being the case for various reasons and one of them is that gaming as a world wide phenomenon has become westernized like it was back in the days of the atari 2600. that may be your cup of tea but it isn't mine. it's like we are now following the Mortal Kombat timeline and no longer the Street Fighter 2 one.
in any case, yes it was money well spent, I like to try out consoles when they come out, what money I lose doing so is still money well spent.

NeoGeoNinja

point I was trying to make - PS4 does not provide a console gaming experience in the manner previous gaming consoles have done. gaming consoles had up until the 128bit generation a symbiotic relationship to arcade games. obviously that stopped being the case for various reasons and one of them is that gaming as a world wide phenomenon has become westernized like it was back in the days of the atari 2600. that may be your cup of tea but it isn't mine. it's like we are now following the Mortal Kombat timeline and no longer the Street Fighter 2 one. in any case, yes it was money well spent, I like to try out consoles when they come out, what money I lose doing so is still money well spent.
I'd disagree with your last sentence personally. Money well spent is making an educated decision on what hardware to buy based on the software available for it that YOU want to play, not determined by any specific time scale. But, opinions vary. As such, I'm still using my PS3 for 'modern' gaming vs a backlog (just bought The Evil Within for £10 today, as it happens).

I agree with what you're saying though re: change of tide concerning gaming since the 128-bit gen. I hate to say it, as I am a broken record in this regard, but you can thank Microsoft for taking matters so strongly in this direction. The OG Xbox started it and, was a solid enough effort to make those who had invested 'believe'. Fast forward to the 360, with it's SEGA DC inspired design and well established online factors built off the back of the Xbox's mild success and the PS3 being late to the market and then arriving in unspectacular Spiderman font laden fashion, constantly trying to play catch-up with a Western driven console, more popular throughout the West > Japan/ASIA... and here we are!

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I ended up buying a PS4 today. Axiom Verge comes out at the end of the month. Definitely getting it. Weird that it took two years for this game to be released when it was announced back in 2012. I think that, The Last of Us, and then Bloodborne will keep me occupied for a while.. and maybe Chasm.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I ended up buying a PS4 today. Axiom Verge comes out at the end of the month. Definitely getting it. Weird that it took two years for this game to be released when it was announced back in 2012. I think that, The Last of Us, and then Bloodborne will keep me occupied for a while.. and maybe Chasm.

nice! congrats!

word of advice- upgrade the hdd right away.