Wonderswan

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
SUCCESS! The colors are a little more washed out, but meh, I have a second wonderswan I can leave unlit. The banding in the picture isn't there in person.

I did have to trim the diffuser down a bit, but aside from that the front light on the screen I linked above is nearly perfect. Now I just need to shorten the wires and put the thing back together :P

rXuWBwQ.jpg

I can throw a little guide together for that screen above, if anyone wants it.

Last edited:

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
Okay, I spoke a little bit to soon... When I closed it up, I didn't notice the light bar was putting too much pressure on the top of the screen, so when I screwed everything together the screen cracked. Whoops.

I have a second Wonderswan so it wasn't a huge deal, but I would have preferred that not happen. Anyways, that meant two options. You can either leave the screws a bit loose, or flip it around and cut away at the bottom to get it to fit and close flush (provided you remove the four foam pads on the back of the motherboard). I chose the latter since I didn't want to risk pressure cracking the screen. It sucks that I broke one screen, but at the same time I'm kind of glad I did since otherwise I wouldn't have been comfortable cutting away at the body, but since one Swan was already toast there wasn't much else I could do to ruin it. Half of the screen still works, so it gives me a corpse to try and improve the mod on (and try other front lights with.) Here's a picture of the cuts, in case anyone else wants to do it the same way.

a5g3Xfy.jpg

zT5xyl8.jpg

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
I just bought a crystal on ebay. It was mislabeled as a color and BIN for $40. Aww yeah.

I'm not sure if that makes me a bad person.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Okay, I spoke a little bit to soon... When I closed it up, I didn't notice the light bar was putting too much pressure on the top of the screen, so when I screwed everything together the screen cracked. Whoops.

Forgot to shave down that lip below the screen, eh?
I got some of those screens too, and popped one in my WS Crystal.

Where are you pulling your voltage from?
I'm pulling mine from a capacitor on the right.
I think 3.2V. Maybe a little too much, it's a little washed out.

Edit:
Pics
IMG_20150515_212510.jpgIMG_20150515_213030.jpgIMG_20150515_213202.jpg

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I just bought a crystal on ebay. It was mislabeled as a color and BIN for $40. Aww yeah.

It does.

For penance, mail it to me. Include a bag of beef jerky in the box too.

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
Forgot to shave down that lip below the screen, eh?
I got some of those screens too, and popped one in my WS Crystal.

Where are you pulling your voltage from?
I'm pulling mine from a capacitor on the right.
I think 3.2V. Maybe a little too much, it's a little washed out.

I'm pulling from pin 23 on the cart connector. It's 3.3 and has been fine so far. 24 also works. For GND I used pin 1.

It does.

For penance, mail it to me. Include a bag of beef jerky in the box too.

What kind of beef jerky?

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member

Not really. I got my Crystal off eBay for $53 shipped back in March which isn't that much more. $40 isn't crazy.

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
Judgement silversword.

The catch being I hope you like hunting for unicorns.

Jesus I wish I'd never sold this!!!!!!!! I can't quite recall but I bought mine I think for like $150 and bought my crystal wonderswan just to play it. Awesome game. ebay has it at 3-5x what I paid! not so much a unicorn just rare and hella expensive!

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Jesus I wish I'd never sold this!!!!!!!! I can't quite recall but I bought mine I think for like $150 and bought my crystal wonderswan just to play it. Awesome game. ebay has it at 3-5x what I paid! not so much a unicorn just rare and hella expensive!

I still generally sells for under $200. Don't be fooled by the ridiculous Buy It Now listings that no one will purchase.

Schiggidyd

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Awesome work, Delti! I also just got a Wonderswan, I'm not sure I want to start collecting for it though!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Are there any WonderSwan fans still around here? I picked up a WSC and FF1. Despite the language barrier, I'd love to check out what the Swan has to offer. What do you guys like to play on it? Also, is the original B&W WonderSwan any good? I heard it's the better option for B&W-only titles.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Of all the games I picked up and played my favorite by far was Gunpey, the black and white version.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
A friend fully combo'd DJ Battle on beatmania for Wonderswan using that crappy and hilarious turntable attachment. No small feat!

Also I recently learned there was an enhanced port of Gunpey (WS version) on NTSC-J PSX and bought a copy. I'll try to report back after I sit down with it!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Is it just me, or have Wonderswan prices gone up since a few years ago? Color units tend to cost around $30 - $40, the more english-friendly games are creeping towards $100 in some cases.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's a great piece of hardware, but still no decent backlight available. Once that's developed, prices will skyrocket and we'll be nostalgically think back about these posts.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's a great piece of hardware, but still no decent backlight available. Once that's developed, prices will skyrocket and we'll be nostalgically think back about these posts.

Even with a good backlight, the wonderswan is very washed out. Mine is fairly well done, and it's not quite as good as playing it near a light source. The colors are just better with a good desk lamp.

Kzero

n00b
Been wanting to get one of these soon. Anything I should know before diving in? :P

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Get both. Crystal has no contrast setting, sometimes you need it if playing outdoors.

MidnightAbyss

Mr. Big's Thug
I hate frontlights with a passion. Even if you go and LOCA the damn things they still kill the colors and look like shit. I frontlit a GBC and couldn't stand it. Same thing with the NGPC. I'd rather deal with worm lights than play anything on a frontlit screen.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I agree frontlits aren't so hot. I have a NGPC that's frontlit and it's nice for a night run in bed or whatevs but only as an alternative...