Wonderswan

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
It's a shame about Makaimura, being a big fan of the series I was looking forward to playing this, but two negative reviews on this thread have made me question whether I should bother.

I'm still playing Flash Koibito-Kun on my Wonderswan. Its a lot of fun and quite addictive, its perfect for a quick ten minutes play which is always good with handheld games.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Makai-Mura plays fine on my Wonderswan Colors. Just have to use the contrast dial to find the sweet spot. Not sure what the problem is with you guys.

Awesome game, too.

Never tried it on a Swancrystal though, and that one doesn't even have a contrast dial.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I wouldn't say the comments were necessarily negative about Makaimura, it was just that it wasn't easy to see on a SwanCrystal. Looked fine on my monochrome, never tried it on my colour or crystal though so I can't comment about the difficulty seeing the action properly.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes, I really miss the contrast dial on the Crystal when playing that game! The lighting has to be absolutely perfect to be able to see that game. I did figure out that if I sit on my couch and take the lampshade off the lamp I get perfect lighting for the thing.

Galder

Crossed Swords Squire
Monochrome games are best to play on monochrome wonderswan. They were made for that - simple as that.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Maybe I'll keep an eye out for one, most of my games are B&W.

Btw, like Makaimura, Klonoa is expensive, but is worth every penny you may have to pay. I love it.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Monochrome games are best to play on monochrome wonderswan. They were made for that - simple as that.

I don't know about that. Langrisser looks awesome on my SwanCrystal compared to the monochrome wonderswan. I think it's the fact that Makaimura is such a dark (or has a lot of black at least) game that it makes adjustable contrast such a necessity.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Ah ok, thanks for all the advice. I have both a Swancrystal and a Color, so I suppose I can always use the Color if I do buy Makaimura.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It is much more visible on my Color. I just like playing on the Crystal more.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Got some sunny days recently and noticed that the Crystal screen looks absolutely fantastic in natural light. Much better than most of the lighting in my house. 2nd best is probably the daylight LEDs I have in my bathroom. Noticeably clearer picture and absolutely no ghosting compared to my Color. Bought one of these cases for it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TFROZE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm pretty happy with. Mainly looking for something to keep it in that would prevent scratches. The Crystal is a bit loose in there, but it keeps it well protected and has a 2nd pouch that works well enough for WonderSwan games. I'm sure other DS-specific cases would work too.

Still only have Mr. Driller and FFIV. Mr. Driller is a pretty good port and I've been putting in a few hours the last 2 days. Klonoa is probably my next game given the rave reviews here.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Wonderswan, NGPC, Gameboy Advance 1st ver. Are all best if used outdoors during the day time, it's kinda like Game & Watch, it was awesome playing those during recess at school.

BTW, I'm always dreaming up you're a chick just like your ava, so much love for that cute sprite...what game is it from?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My daughter was out playing with her friends in the yard, I was playing Klonoa and Final Lap while keeping a eye on them. Life is good.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
so much love for that cute sprite...what game is it from?

Pretty Amy from Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf. 1998 arcade golf game by SNK that got ported to the NES. How panties got through Nintendo's strict censorship is beyond me.

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
So I now have a bunch of random Wonderswan games my friend brought me from Japan (though they're mostly japanese), and a second Wonderswan Color. I'm thinking about doing a front light mod to one of the Wonderswans. Have any of you done one before?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So are you going to pull the frontlight out of that and install it into the Swan? That would be awesome, and probably better than hacking in a GBA frontlight.

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
So are you going to pull the frontlight out of that and install it into the Swan? That would be awesome, and probably better than hacking in a GBA frontlight.

That's the plan. It should be fairly simple, I've managed to backlight Game Boy Pockets, so I can't imagine this will be any more difficult than that pain in the ass.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The main difficulty with doing conventional frontlight mods was removing the light itself from a GBA without destroying it. Actual installation was trivial. I did it myself once on a NGPC and it came out terrible, paid a pro modder to do it to a GBC and he did better, but it still had marks on the screen (plus it doesn't work very well in a GBC.)

However, even if it's a pain like that to remove it from these, for $3 a pop who cares? Screw one up, grab another.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Well I ended up ordering the parts (four screens, actually) to do a front light mod. The screens with the proper front light dimensions are only $3 on this site http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G13752

Also, I've been playing a bunch of Gunpey, that game is pretty sweet.

Wow, nice find on those screens!
I think I'll get some too.

I tried using GBA front lights, but they get dust or fingerprints on them so easily and it's IMPOSSIBLE to clean them once it's on there.

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
I'm debating on whether or not I should buy a bunch of screens. The front page of their site says its a sale until the 26th, then it goes back to $20 a pop.

Galder

Crossed Swords Squire
I was playing rockman & forte today, quite addictive game but it is fucking hell in the 3rd stage (top one). I also saw in a video that buffers evolution is a cool and cheap english-friendly game so it is on its way from japan.

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
The four screens I ordered came in today. I'm going to give the front light mod a shot tonight. Hopefully it goes alright.

Buffers Evolution has been on my list too. Its pretty cheap so I might pick it up.

I just got my NGPC and am now in the market for a WS crystal. I looked into doing front light mods, but the reviews for them have been really mixed. I think the biggest complaint has been that the colors get washed out. I believe the best solution I read was "get a lamp".