Wonderswan

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Awesome handheld, I have dicing knight and rhyme rider 9same person who made parapa the rapper iirc). Only thing I hate is no backlight and the dpad is ass.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Gunpey is great, but it's taking far too long to get my other games through the mail from Japan.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The Guilty Gear Petit D-Pad Coin helps a lot, doesn't look great but it makes the experience way better until you manage to get used to the cumbersome D-Pad.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've been looking for the coin without luck, good to know it comes with Guilty Gear, maybe I can get a complete copy that comes with one.

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
I've been looking for the coin without luck, good to know it comes with Guilty Gear, maybe I can get a complete copy that comes with one.

This copy on ebay is the only game I can find that actually has the coin. It looks like something I could easily 3d print though. I might look into that tomorrow.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
The issue is that Maikamura, Pocket Fighter, and Klonoa all look awesome, but are all expensive.

It just so happens that I still have the first and third games you mentioned sitting in storage. Since I have zero intention of playing either cart anytime this year, would you like to borrow 'em both until 2016?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Funny you should mention that. I bought both over the weekend. I appreciate the offer though!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
image.php

Internet is your friend

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So, I got the Swan Crystal, Klonoa, and Makaimura this week. The Crystal is definitely the system that the Wonderswan should have been to start with. It feels better, it looks better.

Klonoa is fantastic, probably my favorite game on the system now.

Makaimura is almost impossible to see on the Crystal, and the sound is odd. It's fun when you can see it, but given the price I might sell it when I'm done.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Some games are better on the regular wonderswan, I have both and they both have their pros and cons, they were so cheap back then. LMK when you're ready to let go of Makai.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
What kind of price should I be looking at for Klonoa and Makaimura? I'd love to get both but I'm not sure if eBay prices are reasonable or not and there are no auctions.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I dunno what's reasonable, I paid ebay prices since I couldn't find them anywhere else. I paid $60 shipped for Makaimura and $40 for Klonoa.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
You know, one of my big complaints about the WS besides the lack of a backlight is the very quiet sound. It's almost impossible to hear unless you're in a dead silent room on max volume on the 3 models I played on (Swan Crystal blue, Final Fantasy Color, and a smoke color).

Is that normal, or are their failing caps on the ones I used?
If it's normal, is it possible to replace it with a better speaker and maybe mod it with some kind of small audio amp?

Also, I seem to remember reading on some french forum via google translate that someone had managed to figure out how to add a headphone port to the expansion out on it, but I can't really read french and google translate only does so much.

Anyone know if that's a thing?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I have a headphone socket adapter that plugs into the EXT socket of the machine so that is a real thing. My sound seems to be okay on my Crystal, Color and monochrome. Not ear shattering, but listenable.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The sound on both of my units are plenty loud, but if I have it on max level it sounds like the speaker is clipping or something. A headphone mod should be relatively easy as it's probably just two of the pins on the expansion port + ground, but I don't have a clue where you'd actually mount the jack. There's not much room in there!

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I guess I'll just have to pay the going rate. Missed out on a copy of Makaimura on eBay UK for £30 which sold a couple of days ago. I wish I hadn't hesitated now.

Regarding the sound, I've not found them too quiet. I'd never play with the sound on in a busy environment anyway, only if I was alone at home. It is a shame they don't have a standard headphone port though.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
The sound on both of my units are plenty loud, but if I have it on max level it sounds like the speaker is clipping or something. A headphone mod should be relatively easy as it's probably just two of the pins on the expansion port + ground, but I don't have a clue where you'd actually mount the jack. There's not much room in there!

You'd be surprised!
The audio data off the exp port is digital, not analog. The official WS headphone converter has an 8 pin IC in it to convert it.

You can see it inside this compact version.
800px-Headphoneadapter_wonderwave.jpg

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
You'd be surprised!
The audio data off the exp port is digital, not analog. The official WS headphone converter has an 8 pin IC in it to convert it.

You can see it inside this compact version.
View attachment 24492

This is the exact one I have, does exactly what it should...I haven't used mine in a while but I'm sure it has a volume dial on it as well and it controls the volume from the adapter rather than the Wonderswan...not sure if the IC has anything to do with that.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It took me months to track down that headphone adapter.

The sound on all my units is plenty loud, but I wanted stereo sound and for that I needed the adapter.

It works great, but it was still a bitch to find at a decent price.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I wanted stereo sound and for that I needed the adapter.
Is the stereo sound worth it? I found that on the NGPC it is... hell of a lot nicer, some of the soundtracks are quite rad.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Is the stereo sound worth it? I found that on the NGPC it is... hell of a lot nicer, some of the soundtracks are quite rad.
Yeah, it was ultimately worth it. It just took some patience, and like 40$.

There are a few different models but I'm not sure about any differences. I just know I have the one in the picture, and I haven't been able to play without it since I got it.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Klonoa has been on my list for awhile, but it's a little overpriced for a B&W game.
I gave away Makaimura. for some reason i didn't consider its value because it's not really playable.

I really parsed down my wanted list because I realized many were just not that great without some serious Jp background.