Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 272

Thread: NGP/NGPC Sales and Auction Thread.

  1. #76
    Handheld Hitter

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    European Union

    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoGeoNinja View Post
    Metal Slug...

    Can't help but feel that your using the mass-exposure of this forum as a platform to falsely inflate and constantly self-reiterate the prices of the NGPC set, to better your own circumstances financially re: NGPC games. Not to mention, falsely validating the NGPC as a platform of value akin to the NeoGeo itself.

    It's a nice, cheap, affordable platform to collect some quality titles for and, quite frankly, anyone driving up the prices on a false pretence that the NGPC is something it isn't (i.e. a rare, expensive and exotic console to collect for... like the AES & Homecarts) by spending lewd amounts of $'s on NGPC carts, is most probably an autistic thick cunt.

    "The prices don't lie... the prices don't lie... the prices don't lie"
    "They're only worth what people are willing to pay... They're only worth what people are willing to pay... They're only worth what people are willing to pay..."

    etc etc.

    Indeed. It only take less than 10 "special" red-headed kids, to falsely drive the prices up between their thick-as-fuck, OCD-retard selves.

    Glad I lived in the UK in 99/00 and was able to get the majority of my PAL/UK NGPC stuff from new, at normal prices, before this shit-show turned up.

    NGPC: becoming the next Atari Jaguar... apparently.
    The facts speak for themselves. People aren't forced to pay anything, they can choose to buy or not to buy.
    Oh, and no disrespect to this forum, but this isn't 'mass exposure' compared to the marketplace of ebay.
    EBay prices reflect what people are actually willing to pay. I seriously doubt if they are influenced by your opinion or mine.

    The only way that 10 people (regardless of their hair colour) can drive up the prices of items, is if the numbers of those items are very limited or the 10 people are buying every example they can.
    So While a limited number of buyers can drive the prices of a limited number of very rare games such as Reversi, they won't have any effect on common titles like KOF-R2.
    Even the less common but desirable games like Last Blade!
    So unless you believe that these people are risking hundreds of pounds on every copy of the expensive games that appear on eBay then you have to admit that some of these games are expensive because they are uncommon, complete and are desirable to own because of their playability and the others are commanding high prices because they are very rare and collectors want them to complete their UK 39 collection.


    I have no idea why instead of sticking to discussing the facts you are turning to abuse, but it's a bit of a shame.
    If you want to discuss the facts then I'll happily do so.
    But if you want to rant and swear then I'm not interested. Take it to the war room.

    The NGPC is something special, whether you can see that or not is beside the point.
    As it's a machine that I am somewhat a fan of, I'll happily explain the reasons why it's so special at length if you wish?
    Thanks to Aruze' horrible decision to recall and destroy the packaging of so many games, complete examples of some are genuinely rare.
    Again, the fact that you can't accept that, is beside the point.

    There are people here who are genuine fans of the NGPC and are interested in the state of the market and collecting scene.
    I'm one of those people and I've been discussing the NGPC here, on and off since 2000.

    I have no interest in driving the prices either way. The fact is that the prices of these games have risen and fallen periodically since the recall. If I have an interest in them being on the rise, it is that I hope it is indicative of a fresh influx of converts to the system competing for the rarer games and that it may even prompt a more healthy homebrew and modding scene for the system if it gains more mainstream retro appeal.


    I can't imagine why you think that my discussing the prices on eBay is of any consequence to the market whatsoever. In fact it clearly isn't.
    However, if Shawn or any of the mods have a problem with my posting and think that my genuine interest in the system and scene is having an adverse effect on the 'market' or these boards, then I'll happily stop posting immediately.

    That said, you calling people 'C**ts' or 'Special' or 'autistic' or whatever, isn't going to affect my view of anyone but you.
    I might not think that AES carts are worth the money that many people shell out for them. I might think that the AES scene is unlikely to be a good investment long term.
    Does that mean that AES carts aren't 'worth' what they sell for at the moment?
    No, the state of the market is what it is and it doesn't require my approval or appraisal.

    P.S. I'm a middle aged professional. I 'collect' many things. Mostly antiques. So I recognize the huge difference between nostalgia collectables and items that have a genuine historic and/or intrinsic value.
    Last edited by Metal Slug; 11-06-2014 at 01:44 PM.
    Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
    -Nietzsche

  2. #77
    Art of Typing Wiz


    Viewpoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas

    Posts
    4,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Slug View Post
    So you'll be putting in an offer then?
    Fuck no. All these prices getting inflated like this is utter bullshit. These games are not and never worth that much to begin with.

  3. #78
    Handheld Hitter

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    European Union

    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Fuck no. All these prices getting inflated like this is utter bullshit. These games are not and never worth that much to begin with.
    LOL, Well we've both been there from the start BonusKun.
    I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised that the b/w titles are getting such high prices.
    I should have bought them years ago it seems!

    Who decides worth? The answer is the person pulling out their wallet.
    $480 for a mint copy of a genuinely rare complete copy of Reversi on the Pocket?
    $600 for a bashed crushed copy of ET on the 2600?

    I might roll my eyes at these prices. I certainly have rolled my eyes at the prices of some homecarts over the years.
    But if nobody bought these games, the prices would go down.
    Last edited by Metal Slug; 11-06-2014 at 02:44 PM.
    Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
    -Nietzsche

  4. #79
    Ghost Of Captain Kidd
    whisper2053's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Frozen Wisconsin

    Posts
    1,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Slug View Post
    But if nobody bought these games, the prices would go down.
    See, this is the point at which I'm going to have to somewhat disagree with you on. Empirical evidence over the past years recently has shown this to not really be the case. With the way ebay has been changing it's terms/fees for sellers, combined with the lack of overhead necessary to continually re-list items ad infinitum (something that has been discussed on these boards several times already), it means nearly nothing for a vendor/seller to list an item at a ridiculous price-point and just sit on it...for weeks, months, or potentially longer. The mindset is that (regardless of whether anyone *does* buy it) eventually someone who "needs" it *now*...will. There's absolutely zero incentive for the seller to reduce the price at any time, and 100% incentive for other sellers to see these longstanding prices and adjust their own accordingly.

    The current state of the retro market is one based upon artificially inflated false capitalism. There are, admittedly, a few holdouts (the community pricing on these boards being one of them) that attempt to maintain some semblance of sanity. This is rare, however, and should in no way be judged to be indicative of the greater 'market'. Thinking otherwise is just fooling yourself.

  5. #80


    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Germany

    Posts
    324
    NeoGeoNinja

    well you lived in the UK and got thease snapcase versions very easily. In the US, in Germany later in Asia also they did sell the paperboxes later.
    While this seems easy to get for u in the UK most real Neo-Geo Poket collector prefers thease Snapcases and english Version.
    Some of the games are hard to find in good condition and complete. So its no wonder some collectors raise the price more and more. Sellers just watch ebay and look how much money they can fetch for a game.
    If i hadent sold some of my rare AES games back then i could get at least double the amount now.

    Aside from that the NGPC is not a common system, maybe in the UK and the USA or in Japan too. Here in Germany not many ppl know that system and to be honest it is one of the best handheld systems ever made.

    If you go crasy on the price increase, well dont buy em. There are also two flashkits if u want to play the games cheap otherwise loose cart versions are mostly very cheap too. For the price of one flashkit you might already get most good games as loose cart.
    Dont know i wont buy Pocket Reversi, its a game im not interested to play on NGPC. I guess a lot ppl thought so back then thats why its kinda rare now. Well and collectors they want a complete set so they buy it anyway.
    SNK the future is now

  6. #81
    Handheld Hitter

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    European Union

    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by whisper2053 View Post
    See, this is the point at which I'm going to have to somewhat disagree with you on. Empirical evidence over the past years recently has shown this to not really be the case. With the way ebay has been changing it's terms/fees for sellers, combined with the lack of overhead necessary to continually re-list items ad infinitum (something that has been discussed on these boards several times already), it means nearly nothing for a vendor/seller to list an item at a ridiculous price-point and just sit on it...for weeks, months, or potentially longer. The mindset is that (regardless of whether anyone *does* buy it) eventually someone who "needs" it *now*...will. There's absolutely zero incentive for the seller to reduce the price at any time, and 100% incentive for other sellers to see these longstanding prices and adjust their own accordingly.

    The current state of the retro market is one based upon artificially inflated false capitalism. There are, admittedly, a few holdouts (the community pricing on these boards being one of them) that attempt to maintain some semblance of sanity. This is rare, however, and should in no way be judged to be indicative of the greater 'market'. Thinking otherwise is just fooling yourself.
    High start prices and BIN's aren't the whole story.
    To suggest that unrealistic starting prices are leading the market is a massive oversimplification.
    And it's one that's not supported by basic economics or the actual evidence of the completed listings.
    Reversi is a prime example. Start price $14.99, final price $480.00.
    A straightforward auction where the market decided the price.
    Even the less rare, but desirable titles have made good money at auction in recent months.

    I agree that eBay allows for low-risk relisting ad-nausea. But not all sellers can just afford to sit on stock indefinitely and doing so comes with it's own set of risks, as the prices may drop even further while you hold out for that historic high that you used to price your item.
    And not all sellers are listing using that format.
    Look through the listings now. It's a mixture and even among the BIN listings many sellers are open to offers.
    Last edited by Metal Slug; 11-06-2014 at 06:03 PM.
    Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
    -Nietzsche

  7. #82
    Handheld Hitter

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    European Union

    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster View Post
    NeoGeoNinja

    well you lived in the UK and got thease snapcase versions very easily. In the US, in Germany later in Asia also they did sell the paperboxes later.
    While this seems easy to get for u in the UK most real Neo-Geo Poket collector prefers thease Snapcases and english Version.
    Some of the games are hard to find in good condition and complete. So its no wonder some collectors raise the price more and more. Sellers just watch ebay and look how much money they can fetch for a game.
    If i hadent sold some of my rare AES games back then i could get at least double the amount now.

    Aside from that the NGPC is not a common system, maybe in the UK and the USA or in Japan too. Here in Germany not many ppl know that system and to be honest it is one of the best handheld systems ever made.

    If you go crasy on the price increase, well dont buy em. There are also two flashkits if u want to play the games cheap otherwise loose cart versions are mostly very cheap too. For the price of one flashkit you might already get most good games as loose cart.
    Dont know i wont buy Pocket Reversi, its a game im not interested to play on NGPC. I guess a lot ppl thought so back then thats why its kinda rare now. Well and collectors they want a complete set so they buy it anyway.
    Exactly right!
    Nobody is being forced to buy complete games at any price, when there are loose carts and flash kits available.
    Not to mention replacement boxes with homebrew artwork!

    It's all personal preference. Some people happily spend four figure amounts on AES cartridges and think nothing of it.
    Collectors on eBay are spending large amounts buying Atari cartridges dug out of a landfill site right now!

    There is a good chance that none of this stuff will be worth more than a fraction of it's current value in 25 years!
    Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
    -Nietzsche

  8. #83
    NeoSneth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    St Louis , MO

    Posts
    8,422
    nobody cares about the B&W games anyways.


    Steam: SnethSS
    XBL:Sneth
    PSN:Sneth
    3DSxl: 1907-7977-5467
    Switch

  9. #84
    Kuroko's Training Dummy
    turq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Earth

    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSneth View Post
    nobody cares about the B&W games anyways.
    Please send me a set.

  10. #85
    Yamazaki's Pupil

    SteveNK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK

    Posts
    4,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Slug View Post
    LOL, Well we've both been there from the start BonusKun.
    I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised that the b/w titles are getting such high prices.
    I should have bought them years ago it seems!

    Who decides worth? The answer is the person pulling out their wallet.
    $480 for a mint copy of a genuinely rare complete copy of Reversi on the Pocket?
    $600 for a bashed crushed copy of ET on the 2600?

    I might roll my eyes at these prices. I certainly have rolled my eyes at the prices of some homecarts over the years.
    But if nobody bought these games, the prices would go down.
    The growing prices of NGPC games and MVS games for that matter are off the back of the AES carts status as the holy grail of console collecting.

    The problem with the NGPC is it doesn't have anything to back up these prices - it's not like a NES game that everyone had at the time and now wants to recreate in their 30's or 40's and it's not like the AES that everyone wanted at the time but couldn't get their hands on - it's a system that was available to anyone but wanted by nobody.

    They just don't stack up in any way as collectables because of these facts - the only thing that they have going for them is their link to the AES. Once people realise this the arse will fall out of the NGPC and the MVS market completely. It's little more than a price bubble.

    I don't see anything wrong with picking them up if you like them, but talking up the prices on them only further inflates the bubble and therefore the inevitable crash.

  11. #86
    Occult Archmage
    F4U57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    NSW

    Posts
    5,605
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenk View Post
    it's not like the AES that everyone wanted at the time but couldn't get their hands on - it's a system that was available to anyone but wanted by nobody.
    Considering the rarity of the high-fetching NGPC post-pullout releases, I would say that is a perfect example of why they're priced the way they are.

    People see collecting a complete set of only 39 carts as an achievable feat, but they need to cross those massive hurdles when they get to that particular cart.

    Why is KE: STB Euro AES worth so much? Rarity.

  12. #87
    Art of Typing Wiz


    Viewpoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas

    Posts
    4,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Slug View Post
    Exactly right!
    Nobody is being forced to buy complete games at any price, when there are loose carts and flash kits available.
    Not to mention replacement boxes with homebrew artwork!
    The thing is these games are not AES games. The price some people ask for these things is stupid. Ebay imo shouldn't be used as a base for value on shit because people with too much money are stupid and everyone else thinks just because one person will buy it @ a fucked up price someone else will. And like it was said before, once prices get stupid high then the chance of them ever going back to what they should be valued at will be next to none.

    Straight up these games arn't that rare nor should they be that high priced because some fucknuts want to charge an arm and a leg for shit.

    P.S. About Kinuza Encounter, I've had a hunch for years that game might have possibly been faked by someone because with a count of less then 5 carts to exist seems to be an utter wall of bullshit that nobody's been able to prove otherwise.
    Last edited by Viewpoint; 11-07-2014 at 02:29 PM.

  13. #88
    Yamazaki's Pupil

    SteveNK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK

    Posts
    4,350
    Quote Originally Posted by F4U57 View Post
    Considering the rarity of the high-fetching NGPC post-pullout releases, I would say that is a perfect example of why they're priced the way they are.

    People see collecting a complete set of only 39 carts as an achievable feat, but they need to cross those massive hurdles when they get to that particular cart.

    Why is KE: STB Euro AES worth so much? Rarity.
    You're missing the point though - rarity alone isn't enough to make something valuable, it needs to be both rare and desirable. The NGPC is not a desirable system other than to people who want to collect AES but can't afford it. It has no interesting story to it, nothing unobtainable about it at the time, no massive club of fan boys with rose tinted glasses looking to the past, it's just a moderately succesful half decent at the time middle of the road handheld. If anything it maybe devalued the super exclusive Neo brand name.

    Just because it's got neo geo in the name people think it must be somehow collectable but it isn't, not everything from the past will automatically become collectable in the future. Rarity alone is not enough.

    Every time I go for a shit I lay an absolutely unique egg - it is truly one of a kind. You can't get rarer than that.

    How much will you pay me for my next shit?

  14. #89
    Handheld Hitter

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    European Union

    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSneth View Post
    nobody cares about the B&W games anyways.

    lol, unless they have English packaging!
    Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
    -Nietzsche

  15. #90
    Handheld Hitter

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    European Union

    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenk View Post
    You're missing the point though - rarity alone isn't enough to make something valuable, it needs to be both rare and desirable. The NGPC is not a desirable system other than to people who want to collect AES but can't afford it. It has no interesting story to it, nothing unobtainable about it at the time, no massive club of fan boys with rose tinted glasses looking to the past, it's just a moderately succesful half decent at the time middle of the road handheld. If anything it maybe devalued the super exclusive Neo brand name.

    Just because it's got neo geo in the name people think it must be somehow collectable but it isn't, not everything from the past will automatically become collectable in the future. Rarity alone is not enough.

    Every time I go for a shit I lay an absolutely unique egg - it is truly one of a kind. You can't get rarer than that.

    How much will you pay me for my next shit?
    Sorry Steve, I know this post wasn't directed at me.......
    But

    The NGPC is a desirable system, hence the rare games making the prices they do.
    The attraction of the NGPC is certainly not solely SNK's homecart system.
    After all 99% of gamers have never played an SNK game.
    Fact is that back in '99 the new guns in town were the DC and the NGPC.
    Both were technically advanced systems that put their competitors in the shade.
    The NGPC was certainly not 'middle of the road'.
    Compared with the GBC is was miles ahead.
    Better screen, far better controller, nicer to hold and 16bit!
    That combined with the support of not only SNK (which for me meant Metal Slug) but also the support of two of the industry giants: Sega and Capcom.
    And of course, a pretty good advertising campaign that teased at it being less 'kiddie' oriented than the GBC.

    As for not being able to 'afford' AES.
    I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense.
    WHat connects the two? DO people buy the NGPC because they secretly yearn for the AES?
    Even though the games are for the most part rather different versions?
    If you want to play AES games you can do so without spending any money.
    And not that I'm trying to get into a "who's got the bigger one" discussion with you..... I could afford to collect AES.
    I have downsized my VG collection by about half and it's still (in financial terms) more than a match for most AES collections.
    I also have an impressive collection of antique blades, ethnography and metalworks that would easily buy a rather extensive AES collection.
    There are many reasons why people like the NGPC.
    There are many reasons why people don't buy AES carts.
    I've said it before, the AES scene is a mess!
    You want to talk about devaluing the Neo Geo name?
    Oh please!
    I think Aruze did a good job on that score.
    Apart from that, dodgy carts, reprinted inserts, defaced manuals and fakes have done a fair job too!

    If anything the niche that the NGPC holds in the retro market is actually the most accessible and fakery free area of SNK's back catalog.
    Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
    -Nietzsche

  16. #91
    Handheld Hitter

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    European Union

    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    The thing is these games are not AES games. The price some people ask for these things is stupid. Ebay imo shouldn't be used as a base for value on shit because people with too much money are stupid and everyone else thinks just because one person will buy it @ a fucked up price someone else will. And like it was said before, once prices get stupid high then the chance of them ever going back to what they should be valued at will be next to none.

    Straight up these games arn't that rare nor should they be that high priced because some fucknuts want to charge an arm and a leg for shit.

    P.S. About Kinuza Encounter, I've had a hunch for years that game might have possibly been faked by someone because with a count of less then 5 carts to exist seems to be an utter wall of bullshit that nobody's been able to prove otherwise.
    Hi BK,

    I can't see why you use the AES as a benchmark for attacking the value of NGPC games?
    I personally think that some of the prices paid for AES games is crazy!
    Especially the 'altered' ones of one one type or another.

    Especially compared to MVS prices.
    Is it about the games? Or the inserts? Is it about the play or the kudos?
    Who cares. We go to work and spend our cash on what pleases us.
    I just can't quite grasp why AES owners slate the comparatively restrained prices of complete rare NGPC games, while spending a fortune to get that 'perfect' homecart!



    It's not the people who buy and sell NGPC games that caused them to be rare and the prices to be artificially high! It was Aruze who did something unique in gaming history (in my experience).
    They cancelled a system and instead of letting the stocks sell through, they recalled everything!
    The NGPC didn't die the natural death that most systems do when their time comes or their parent company decides to pull the plug! Aruze told us we 'couldn't have' any more games and then set about destroying thousands of the games we wanted.
    They created the 'exclusive' feel and rarity.
    They then took a deep breath and sold off the loose carts and systems!
    So lots of people got a cheap intro to the system after the event.

    Is it any wonder that the system has a little mystique and a loyal following?

    I've never played Kizuna or even seen one of the 'fabled 5'. Can't comment.
    Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
    -Nietzsche

  17. #92
    Occult Archmage
    F4U57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    NSW

    Posts
    5,605
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenk View Post
    You're missing the point though - rarity alone isn't enough to make something valuable, it needs to be both rare and desirable. The NGPC is not a desirable system other than to people who want to collect AES but can't afford it. It has no interesting story to it, nothing unobtainable about it at the time, no massive club of fan boys with rose tinted glasses looking to the past, it's just a moderately succesful half decent at the time middle of the road handheld. If anything it maybe devalued the super exclusive Neo brand name.

    Just because it's got neo geo in the name people think it must be somehow collectable but it isn't, not everything from the past will automatically become collectable in the future. Rarity alone is not enough.

    Every time I go for a shit I lay an absolutely unique egg - it is truly one of a kind. You can't get rarer than that.

    How much will you pay me for my next shit?
    No, I'm not. Because your point is moot.

    The NGPC is rare because of it's recalled titles.

    It is desirable because the games are fun.

    It's got nothing to do with AES, but it has plenty to do with SNK and Neo Geo, and I'll concede that some of the outrageous pricing involved with some of these titles rests firmly with those two names.

    I understand that many people are upset with the state of Neo Geo pricing as a whole, but I don't see it settling, like some are hoping it will. We're probably at a peak right now, and it will drop a little once the sparkly attraction fades for all those hipsters buying up now, but all things Neo Geo are firmly grounded in gaming history and they'll never be mass affordable.

  18. #93
    Yamazaki's Pupil

    SteveNK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK

    Posts
    4,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Slug View Post
    Sorry Steve, I know this post wasn't directed at me.......
    But

    The NGPC is a desirable system, hence the rare games making the prices they do.
    The attraction of the NGPC is certainly not solely SNK's homecart system.
    After all 99% of gamers have never played an SNK game.
    Fact is that back in '99 the new guns in town were the DC and the NGPC.
    Both were technically advanced systems that put their competitors in the shade.
    The NGPC was certainly not 'middle of the road'.
    Compared with the GBC is was miles ahead.
    Better screen, far better controller, nicer to hold and 16bit!
    That combined with the support of not only SNK (which for me meant Metal Slug) but also the support of two of the industry giants: Sega and Capcom.
    And of course, a pretty good advertising campaign that teased at it being less 'kiddie' oriented than the GBC.
    Dude, just compare the NGPC to the PC Engine GT, a handheld that came out almost a DECADE earlier. That system will play an almost arcade perfect SF2 port. Fire up KOF on your NGPC and tell me if it looks arcade perfect. Fuck, it doesn't even look NES perfect, it flies completely in the face of everything that gave the AES it's mystique.

    So we've established it's in no way top end of the market.

    Maybe it was exclusive like the AES was - nope again, it was available in every toys r us in every country on earth, I quite distinctly remember walking past it and not turning my head on a thousand occasions.

    Price wise? Pretty average price - like 70 quid or something, direct competitor to the other handhelds at the time so nothing there either.

    Ok so it's not exclusive, it wasn't best in class (in fact even best in decade), it wasn't excessively expensive or cheap - it was distinctly middle of the road.

    This is a departure from the norm for SNK. They priced it well, they didn't go over the top with the hardware, they released it at about the right time, and it did fairly well for a while. Middle of road.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Slug View Post
    As for not being able to 'afford' AES.
    I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense.
    WHat connects the two? DO people buy the NGPC because they secretly yearn for the AES?
    Even though the games are for the most part rather different versions?
    If you want to play AES games you can do so without spending any money.
    And not that I'm trying to get into a "who's got the bigger one" discussion with you..... I could afford to collect AES.
    I have downsized my VG collection by about half and it's still (in financial terms) more than a match for most AES collections.
    I also have an impressive collection of antique blades, ethnography and metalworks that would easily buy a rather extensive AES collection.
    There are many reasons why people like the NGPC.
    There are many reasons why people don't buy AES carts.
    I've said it before, the AES scene is a mess!
    You want to talk about devaluing the Neo Geo name?
    Oh please!
    I think Aruze did a good job on that score.
    Apart from that, dodgy carts, reprinted inserts, defaced manuals and fakes have done a fair job too!
    I'm not questioning what you can afford, I know zero about you, you might be bill gates for all I know. I'm talking about people in general. There are plenty of people who can't afford the setup required to get a decent AES collection going. NGPC makes the world of SNK much more financially open to those people. I remember looking at the system myself all those years ago for exactly that reason, and being disappointed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Slug View Post
    If anything the niche that the NGPC holds in the retro market is actually the most accessible and fakery free area of SNK's back catalog.
    I agree with what you say here, but I'm afraid that far from being something to sing the praises of the system over, what it actually illustrates is that nobody gives enough of a shit about the system to bother.

    I don't mind the NGPC, I think it was a good crack at aiming for a genuine commercial success, but the fact remains if it wasn't for SNK's other systems the NGPC would have been completely forgotten by now.

  19. #94


    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Germany

    Posts
    324
    AES was not expensive back then. The Gold System was almost 1000 Deutsche Mark as far as i remember and the Games 300 DM. A Megadrive ( Genesis) and SNES was indeed less expensive but games where 100-150 DM depending if it was released locally or a imported game.
    So if someone wanted real arcade at home it was quite afordable then. As time passed the games became more expensive 369DM, 400 DM 450-500 DM, 600 DM and at least they did cost 1000DM (My KOF2k and Metal Slug3 did cost that much back then).
    For metal slug 1 i did only pay 600DM when it was released, AOF3 was 500DM, Last Blade 2 700DM, Mark of the Wolves ( cant remember have to check invoice but i think it was 800-900 DM or even less), all english versions. Now the prices for some games gone down and some did go up by a lot. Overall i think if i would sell all items of my collection i would go even or maybe earn a little bit.

    Basicly would a buy a Metal Slug 1 enlish AES now ? hell no. I did stop buying games because 1000DM was way to much for em.
    Would i sell games now yes, since i rarely play em anymore.
    The problem for the new collector is, get the game he wants is quite hard when its a really good game everyone wants and no one wants to part with.
    If someone decides to part with it and enought ppl want it really bad the price increases. Its just that simple.
    If you wherent around at the time the game was released and bought it then, well then u are unlucky now and have to pay inflated prices.

    As for the Pocket Color. Its a good handheld and its from SNK with smaller versions of the arcade games.
    Any serious SNK fan had to own one back then and most games are also quite good so its still good to own.
    Personally i got two color ( i have bought at realease) and one BW i bought 2 years ago NOS with 2 BW games for really cheap money.
    The B&W sys is really crap but mostly because of the screen.
    On a side note some games did support linking between the Pockets and also some to Dreamcast.
    NGPC was an awesome system back then, at least for me and everone that saw me playin with it. 40 hours playtime with two batterys, name me one newer system that can do this.
    I still enjoy play NGPC but i dont do it that often.
    Oh and if u have an english AES collection you actually need snapcase NGP games for the sake of the look.
    SNK the future is now

  20. #95
    Handheld Hitter

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    European Union

    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenk View Post
    Dude, just compare the NGPC to the PC Engine GT, a handheld that came out almost a DECADE earlier. That system will play an almost arcade perfect SF2 port. Fire up KOF on your NGPC and tell me if it looks arcade perfect. Fuck, it doesn't even look NES perfect, it flies completely in the face of everything that gave the AES it's mystique.

    So we've established it's in no way top end of the market.

    Maybe it was exclusive like the AES was - nope again, it was available in every toys r us in every country on earth, I quite distinctly remember walking past it and not turning my head on a thousand occasions.

    Price wise? Pretty average price - like 70 quid or something, direct competitor to the other handhelds at the time so nothing there either.

    Ok so it's not exclusive, it wasn't best in class (in fact even best in decade), it wasn't excessively expensive or cheap - it was distinctly middle of the road.

    This is a departure from the norm for SNK. They priced it well, they didn't go over the top with the hardware, they released it at about the right time, and it did fairly well for a while. Middle of road.



    I'm not questioning what you can afford, I know zero about you, you might be bill gates for all I know. I'm talking about people in general. There are plenty of people who can't afford the setup required to get a decent AES collection going. NGPC makes the world of SNK much more financially open to those people. I remember looking at the system myself all those years ago for exactly that reason, and being disappointed.



    I agree with what you say here, but I'm afraid that far from being something to sing the praises of the system over, what it actually illustrates is that nobody gives enough of a shit about the system to bother.

    I don't mind the NGPC, I think it was a good crack at aiming for a genuine commercial success, but the fact remains if it wasn't for SNK's other systems the NGPC would have been completely forgotten by now.
    Hi Steve,
    Hmmm, the NEC was 'ok' but the fact that it played 'full size' games didn't make up for the fact that it was like playing them looking through your neighbors window across the road. Expensive, horrible screen, didn't like the layout or controller, Didn't they blow the sound like Gamegears? Oh, and I get all weird about dead pixels. Not to mention that it could suck six batteries dry in what, 2-3 hours?
    If handhelds are going to play unaltered console games, they have to choose a screen that you can see them on.
    The nec was far too many compromises.
    Personally I'd rather have a good handheld conversion, so I preferred the Lynx! And it was earlier than the nec.
    If you are going to play a battery sucking brick, it might as well have a screen you can see and roadblasters!
    For me, to play actual console versions handheld, it has to be the Nomad a few years later. I much prefer it to the nec and at least you could just about read the onscreen text.

    But the NGPC is a totally different solution to handheld gaming.
    Small, chic, with a unique style to it's games, the best non-backlit screen of any handheld, the best controller of any handheld, nice to play, endless battery life from 2 batteries!
    I actually made the point myself that the NGPC doesn't play AES games when I pointed out that people don't buy it for that reason.

    When the NGPC came out, most people buying it were too young to remember or couldn't give a hoot about the AES.
    Far more bought it because of the DC/Sega connection frankly.
    The sales of Sonic show what was attracting people to the system. So much so that Sonic was even bundled with the console!

    So it was competitively priced, with a unique quirky chic style, great feel and controls and was technically advanced with excellent battery life.
    For me that makes it by far the best in class
    Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
    -Nietzsche

  21. #96
    Kuroko's Training Dummy
    turq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Earth

    Posts
    85
    Less than 24 hours to go and so far there has been one retracted offer, two declined offers, and a third offer remains pending...

  22. #97
    Handheld Hitter

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    European Union

    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by turq View Post
    Less than 24 hours to go and so far there has been one retracted offer, two declined offers, and a third offer remains pending...
    I can't see the offers, that's weird.
    Where are they showing?
    I can only see 17 watchers?
    Last edited by Metal Slug; 11-09-2014 at 06:24 PM.
    Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
    -Nietzsche

  23. #98
    Kuroko's Training Dummy
    turq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Earth

    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Slug View Post
    I can't see the offers, that's weird.
    Where are they showing?
    I can only see 17 watchers?
    Need to be logged in to an eBay account.

    ______________________________


    BTW, the most recent offer expired with less than 8 hours to go now.

    ...and the 4 offers were from two bidders - one person retracted their initial offer and had their second rejected, and the other made two unsuccessful offers over two days.
    Last edited by turq; 11-10-2014 at 06:01 AM.

  24. #99
    Kuroko's Training Dummy
    turq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Earth

    Posts
    85
    Three hours to go and there's a last ditch offer from a new player.

  25. #100
    Handheld Hitter

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    European Union

    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by turq View Post
    Three hours to go and there's a last ditch offer from a new player.
    I think it's sold!
    Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
    -Nietzsche

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •