NGP/NGPC Sales and Auction Thread.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
The following decade-old thread is interesting in relation to this thread...

UK Pocket Reversi count: again.

Hi Turq,

It's an interesting thread. Some of the information has turned out to be right, some wasn't.
Example below:

Reversi WAS absolutely easy to find, as were all of the UK NGPC games. There were a few UK websites (I wish I remembered their names) that had these games in stock for months. No one cared at the time. In fact, I can remember quite a few threads on the forums here about how "uncollectible" NGPC games were. Ha!
I'm not sure if RB did put together a full set of 39 at the time, but take it from those who did, if you were really quick and had time to do the legwork, it was manageable.
If you weren't so quick, it was still doable, but took a bit more cash!

Now? It would take a lot of money at the moment, and even more patience.
There may have been several UK sites that showed ALL the upcoming releases on their inventory for a while but most didn't actually have them.
There are many threads, from the actual point of recall, where people in the UK are actively searching for these games and telephoning these retailers only to be given excuses as to why the games were listed but not in stock.
Whether some used these titles to attempt to drive sales? Or whether some thought they could operate a kind of pre-order system and hopefully obtain stock? Well, I know of sites employ those tactics now, so I'm sure many did back in the 'early' days of e-commerce.

turq

Quiz Detective
Too bad it's not an auction - - we'll never get to see the real final selling price.

£2500/$4000US is overpriced for the UK color set without the 5 B&W titles.

It's worth maybe £1500 in the current market.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Too bad it's not an auction - - we'll never get to see the real final selling price.

£2500/$4000US is overpriced for the UK color set without the 5 B&W titles.

It's worth maybe £1500 in the current market.

It's difficult to gauge a price, especially without individual condition reports for the games.
I do agree that the seller is being somewhat 'hopeful' with his BIN price, but he is allowing offers.
Buying them individually, you'd also have to add individual postage. It's a rare chance to score them all in one go, so there is the fact that it's a huge time saver.
How close to mint are the rare ones?

I think your estimate is a bit mean. You'd be lucky to get them all individually for that.

EDIT: Actually, I've just done the maths and his price isn't that far out. There are a few games there that haven't come up for sale in a fair while. They could certainly be considered 'speculative' in their pricing.
Then there's Reversi £300, LB £200, Evolution £200, Cotton £150, Faselei £100.......

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
People here don't much like collectors - I can see why, games were made to be played and not playing them is both a bit weird and also annoying to people who do actually want to play them. But hey, people are weird and I can also understand why people like to own nice things for the sake of owning them, hence collections are born.

But by far the most interesting part in collecting for a system has to be the actual sourcing and collecting of them?

I can't see anything to redeem buying a load of games in one hit that you just toss up on a shelf and move on from, it's like an hours worth of effort and enjoyment, for 2 grand.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
People here don't much like collectors - I can see why, games were made to be played and not playing them is both a bit weird and also annoying to people who do actually want to play them. But hey, people are weird and I can also understand why people like to own nice things for the sake of owning them, hence collections are born.

But by far the most interesting part in collecting for a system has to be the actual sourcing and collecting of them?

I can't see anything to redeem buying a load of games in one hit that you just toss up on a shelf and move on from, it's like an hours worth of effort and enjoyment, for 2 grand.

Collectors = Speculators

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,

The prices of NGPC games really haven't suffered from that as far as I can see.
The prices of the rare complete games are comparable with those of many other retro formats and the price of the 'very rare' games simply reflect their scarcity and the supply and demand of those wishing to own them and even then are selling for far less than comparably rare games of more mainstream systems.
Yes there's a big disparity between loose carts and complete games, especially the rarer titles. But that's natural. I've never wanted loose carts.
Most game collectors are players and most players of retro games are collectors.
I remember when I was 'young' buying one or two games at a time for my snes and trading them to be able to afford different games when I was bored of them. So at that stage, I was really just a 'gamer'.
My Dreamcast collection is about 170 games and 5 consoles. Many of the games I played extensively. They are all still perfect and mint and as new. Not a single mark on the disks, not a single fingerprint. The manuals are not dog eared, the inserts are uncreased and I've got DC games to play until hell freezes over frankly.
So I'm a collector and gamer both.
Game prices are only a problem when you get into a system after the fact. I bought all my DC, N64, NGPC, NGC, XBOX, PS1/2 games etc at the time so they were bought at retail prices.
Overall, if I sold the lot (all minty fresh) on fleabay I'd still not get close to recouping my outlay as most are worth much less than their RRP.
AS for NGPC games, I've said it before, that magic number of 39 UK clamshells feels achievable when a full collection of N64 or DC or SNES etc doesn't.
If you look at other retro systems where there are games that possibly have such limited numbers as Reversi (even the next tier of games) the prices can be sky-high.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
£2.5k for a load of NGPC titles is, imo, bollocks.

I definitely think £1.5k is definitely closer to the mark. Definitely no more than £2k! Jesus!!

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
If you paid roughly in the middle of what the basic titles seem to have sold for over the last month and got the rares that haven't appeared for a while at reasonable prices, then you should be able to get the lot individually for a shade under 2k including the nice boxed console.
If you work out the individual postage as being anything over £50 going by special delivery or international signed for then you are looking at another couple of hundred quid on postage.
Not to mention god knows how long to find them all.

Some price guesswork:
Lets try and figure it out based on all complete in VGC:

1/Neo Geo Cup 98 Plus -£10
2/Turf Masters -£10
3/Bio Motor Unitron -£30
4/Pac-Man -£20 (with crossrings)
5/Pocket Tennis -£15
6/Metal Slug -£20
7/King Of Fighters R2 -£15
8/Puzzle Bobble Mini -£15
9/Crush Roller -£25
10/Fatal fury (first contact) -£15
11/Samurai Showdown 2 -£20
12/Dragons Wild -£10
13/Cherry Masters -£10
14/Mystery Bonus -£10
Followed by but not in this order)
15/Card Fighters Clash- Capcom Ver -£35
16/Card Fighters Clash- SNK Ver -£35
17/Puyo Pop -£25
18/Baseball stars -£20
19/Neo 21 -£20
20/Dark Arms -£35
21/Shanghai pocket mini -£50
22/The Match of The Millenium -£30
23/Puzzle link -£25
24/Puzzle link 2 -£50
25/Magical Drop Pocket -£20
26/Gals Fighters -£150
27/Sonic Pocket Adventure -£30
28/Dive Alert- Matt ver -£40?
29/Dive Alert- Becky ver -£75+
30/Faselei -£60
31/Last blade -£200
32/Metal Slug 2nd mission -£50

Post Pullout/Cancelled Releases:
33/Cotton -£150?
34/Neo Baccarat -£50+?
35/Cool Boarders -£100?
36/Picture Puzzle -£75?
37/Pocket Reversi -£300
38/Dynamite Slugger -£50
39/Evolution -£200

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Last Blade & Gals Fighters prices are NGPC newbie misnomers.

They're not worth that.

I bought both mine a couple of years ago for well under £50 each. I wouldn't expect them to fetch more than £150 between them today... let alone £350?!!?!

turq

Quiz Detective

They're not worth that.

I bought both mine a couple of years ago for well under £50 each. I wouldn't expect them to fetch more than £150 between them today... let alone £350?!!?!

Metal Slug did some nice work laying out the prices above, but he's definitely taking a seller's perspective.

(Beyond the generous pricing estimates, the give away is that he factors in savings on postage and ease of acquisition. ;) )

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,

They're not worth that.

Well, now's the time to sell if you want a profit!
The fact is that the last complete LB to sell on ebayUK went for £180 on BIN and the one before that went for £200 on BIN.
There are no complete Gals Fighters on either site to show in active or completed but I think that the last complete ones were around the £150 mark.
Expensive yes indeedy!
But they are 'worth' whatever people are paying.
Remember Reversi the other week, £300?
Some people thought that would scare some out of the woodwork! Didn't happen.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Metal Slug did some nice work laying out the prices above, but he's definitely taking a seller's perspective.

(Beyond the generous pricing estimates, the give away is that he factors in savings on postage and ease of acquisition. ;) )

Hi Turq,

I tried to calculate where the seller was coming from.
And you can see their rationale.
If you want to get the full 39, you have to take a deep breath and jump into the retail market.
Offset the known quantities against the unknown and calculate the 'worth' of the lot.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
I tried to be fair on the estimates. For example Faselei at £60. It's only sold for that recently and usually sells for £100+
Also where the games are pretty common and 'can' be had cheap, I've tried to reflect that they should be available cheap, even if sometimes they sell for more.
So I am trying to base these prices on 'now' where possible, rather than just historic highs or the upper end of the scale from completed items.
If you actually recalculate them using the high end of what these games have sold for in the last month it's a fair bit more.

The only difficult part is the other genuinely rare post recall games that haven't been on ebay in ages.
Someone picked up a cheap Dynamite Slugger recently, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a bit of a fight over the next complete copies of the others next time they appear.

Last edited:

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
It's a pity that he decided to go the ebay route :(

turq

Quiz Detective
Well, now's the time to sell if you want a profit!

That remains to be seen, at least in regards to the complete set being discussed in this thread.

It can't be that hot of a price - - it still hasn't been snapped up by a collector - - not even an offer recorded yet.

Perhaps he would have had more luck breaking up the 39 game collection. Of course, that would leave the 30 relatively common titles to take ages to sell...

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
That remains to be seen, at least in regards to the complete set being discussed in this thread.

It can't be that hot of a price - - it still hasn't been snapped up by a collector - - not even an offer recorded yet.

Perhaps he would have had more luck breaking up the 39 game collection. Of course, that would leave the 30 relatively common titles to take ages to sell...

I agree. I think he's priced it at the upper end of what you'd have to pay separately and included individual postage frankly.
He's going to be hoping that someone will want to save themselves a long search and get them all in one go.
You're right about splitting them as well.
His problem is that it's likely that most people will already have a partial collection. He needs a newbie with deep pockets or someone who's only got loose carts and has decided to upgrade.
He's also not helping himself with the lack of individual descriptions and condition reports and clear pictures of all the manuals and rares.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
I

Then there's Reversi £300, LB £200, Evolution £200, Cotton £150, Faselei £100.......

Oh do those really fetch that kind of money ? I got LB, Evo and Faselei im my collection too.
Was quite had back then to get calmshell games because the dumb german sellers changed to the paperbox games so i had to order the later games from austria.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Oh do those really fetch that kind of money ? I got LB, Evo and Faselei im my collection too.
Was quite had back then to get calmshell games because the dumb german sellers changed to the paperbox games so i had to order the later games from austria.

Reversi has only been up once in recent times and it made £300.
The others have been up fairly regularly and were making around the prices mentioned.
There was a Faselei that sold for £60 recently, but usually it's selling for £100-£110

NeoGeoNinja

Metal Slug...

Can't help but feel that your using the mass-exposure of this forum as a platform to falsely inflate and constantly self-reiterate the prices of the NGPC set, to better your own circumstances financially re: NGPC games. Not to mention, falsely validating the NGPC as a platform of value akin to the NeoGeo itself.

It's a nice, cheap, affordable platform to collect some quality titles for and, quite frankly, anyone driving up the prices on a false pretence that the NGPC is something it isn't (i.e. a rare, expensive and exotic console to collect for... like the AES & Homecarts) by spending lewd amounts of $'s on NGPC carts, is most probably an autistic thick cunt.

"The prices don't lie... the prices don't lie... the prices don't lie"
"They're only worth what people are willing to pay... They're only worth what people are willing to pay... They're only worth what people are willing to pay..."

etc etc.

Indeed. It only take less than 10 "special" red-headed kids, to falsely drive the prices up between their thick-as-fuck, OCD-retard selves.

Glad I lived in the UK in 99/00 and was able to get the majority of my PAL/UK NGPC stuff from new, at normal prices, before this shit-show turned up.

NGPC: becoming the next Atari Jaguar... apparently.