best way to play NGPC

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
So I really want to play some NGPC soon, but the screen not being lit is killing me.

Ive looked on other topics on Google about putting a GBA SP screen in but its not perfect and cuts out some pixels. Worm lights exist, but I couldn't find one on eBay and reviews are mixed. Also, the resolution on the NGPC screen is great, I just need to play next to a lamp to see anything.

I wanted to know everyone's opinion on how to view the NGPC best and, for modded systems, is it worth it? How is the battery life in a modded system? I want to get the most out of the little guy.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I, too, am curious about modded NGPCs, but I've never seen one in person. I've always just played in a fairly well-lit room and haven't had too many problems.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
If somehow possible I play somewhere where the light is directly behind me and steady. This is NOT true for the most places where you want to play ngpc. Part of the popularity of NTM on the NGPC is for me that i'm not in a hurry doing things and can wait with the drive until the light is good again ;) (e.g.: Train)

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I tried a worm light years ago, while it was decent I found the biggest problem was positioning it to get rid of glare and light enough of the screen. I did have a front-lit modded unit and this was great. If you can do it (or find someone to do it for you) I'd recommend the front-light mod. Can you do a direct replacement with a GBA SP back-lit screen?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The light mod is worth it. I don't see anything cut out. It does white wash the colors a bit. It's not as bad as a gamegear, but it's certainly washed out. It's a shame too, because the screen is actually really sharp in the right lighting.

The worm light is probably one of the items I don't own. If they weren't so rare, it would probably be easy to mod that out for an LED.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I tried the wormlight, and the glare spots made me unable to stand it. I got the light mod done on mine, and it was the best thing I've done for it. True, the bottom most row of pixels is no longer visible, but that hardly is a dealbreaker, or anything that makes it unreadable/unplayable. The extra drain on the battery is honestly barely noticable, and very worth the results. In my opinion, it's the -best- way to play NGPC, being able to play it anywhere, and see what you're doing is a huge step up.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I normally play while I take a shit so I always have a good light source.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
there is a consolized one around here somewhere. :keke:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Get it modded. James at JNX will treat your NGPC right.

I play mine a lot more now that I can see the screen in any lighting setting.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I never tried modded unit, but I really don't have a problem playing my slimunit... just find a good place to sit :)

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Thanks for all the input guys! I'm more than likely going to go the modded route, besides finding cheap GBA sp units online and craigslist, where can k source a good quality screen?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That's really it. The kicker isn't getting the GBA though, it's removing the frontlight from it without damaging it. I tried this and failed once.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
In the blazing sun

Best portable to play outdoors!
I miss handhelds you could actually play outdoors, I used to put soo many hours into my GBC and GBA while floating around in my pool in the summer, you can no longer do that with modern handhelds :(

Ps Geo don't sac a GBA SP, it isn't worth it. If it anything like the frontlit modded GBC I had the colors will be all washed out with the SP screen.

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I just play mine in regular light. If lighting is inadequate I'll move to my easy chair and flip on the lamp.

BOTTOM LINE: Play that shit like it's 1999 again.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

gTpHt72.gif

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I just play mine in regular light. If lighting is inadequate I'll move to my easy chair and flip on the lamp.

yeah.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
In the blazing sun

Best portable to play outdoors!

Right on the nail!

I have a backlit modded NGPC, I'm gonna be honest, it's basically just like the first run of GBASPs, you know, the reflective lines going on and washed out colors just ruin the experience for me. The second GBASP run was much better, excellent screen.

NGPC, wonderswan and GB Pocket is where is at when it comes to daylight gaming.

Get out there and shine on!

Last edited:

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
The best light to play the NGPC in (IMHO) is fluorescent light.
The screen is the best non-backlit of any handheld and just needs to be viewed in good white light.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Get a PSP with CFW and a NGPC emulator. Problem solved.
I love the NGPC but the screen is just shit.

Last edited: