Unreal Engine Goes Free

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/ue4-is-free

Being a paying subscriber, I was pretty shocked at my email today from unreal. I don't know what Unity is going to do at this point with their refusal to budge on their pricing. Yeah they have zero fees if you buy the software, but this is only going to appeal to people like Blizzard who know they can make that money spent back.

Unity is really going to have to do something if they want to keep the indie developers. I looked hard into unity before, spent a great deal in it, and decided it isn't worth it for the cost, and lack of source code.

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Wow that's pretty awesome. I'd imagine Unity is quaking right now.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Wow that's pretty awesome. I'd imagine Unity is quaking right now.

I really think unity is oblivious and refuses change. I really do not see how they can continue to charge over a grand per license, per platform, or $75.00 a month and stay in business.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
uhhh, have you used Unity lately? It's ridiculously easy for multiplatform development. It supports practically everything.

Unreal is the one quaking at the moment. Unity uptake has been exponential the last 2 years.
It's $75 a month for Unity pro(that's it), while Unreal demands 5% royalties. Unreal has pretty much always been free. They get their money from the back-end. Unity also has a free option, but it's limited in features. The cost for entry isn't that bad for either.

•Unreal is C++, UNity is C#

•Unreal engine is still top notch, however Unity is surprising people lately.

Unity's problem right now is that everyone associates it with AC:Unity, which didn't use either of these engines.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
uhhh, have you used Unity lately? It's ridiculously easy for multiplatform development. It supports practically everything.

Unreal is the one quaking at the moment. Unity uptake has been exponential the last 2 years.
It's $75 a month for Unity pro(that's it), while Unreal demands 5% royalties. Unreal has pretty much always been free. They get their money from the back-end. Unity also has a free option, but it's limited in features. The cost for entry isn't that bad for either.

•Unreal is C++, UNity is C#

•Unreal engine is still top notch, however Unity is surprising people lately.

Unity's problem right now is that everyone associates it with AC:Unity, which didn't use either of these engines.

I will have to go back and check unity out. It has been awhile. But I still do not see how they make any money. The number of quality games by known studios is pretty much non existent.

The C# & Java script is a huge benefit, but lack of getting source code for your game is a huge letdown.

No doubt they are both great tools, but to some people $75.00 a month or over a grand is a huge determining factor. Plus you have to pay every time Unity is updated. Which is kind of bogus.

I will go on after work and check out the unity news. I would like to switch to unity someday, for the ability to drop C++, but I will never have a grand to blow. I wish they would lower their prices a small amount.

yzrider926

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I downloaded Unity a couple of weeks ago. Still need to play around with it. Just going to roll with the free version as I doubt I'll do anything massive with it. Mainly just want to play around with it, and being a C# developer already I figured why the hell not.