KoF '99 + Altera chip daughter board

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
What's the deal with this?

SCAN0503.JPGSCAN0504.JPG

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Your cart uses both P roms (P1 and P2). I checked my KoF99 cart and it has the exact same boards, but the second P ROM is PG2, not P2. I guess somebody had to replace that chip and needed to decrypt it, the way they found to do it was soldering an Altera chip the way you see it. Everything else looks right (which you already knew, I'm sure).

Regards.

Edit: I just checked mvd-scans and it seems the ROM used was either a P2 or a PG2, so my theory is wrong. Sorry.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Yeah, it's weird. I have other copies that appears to be exactly the same, only without the daughter board.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Question: Are you able/willing to remove the daughterboard and post a pic of it here? maybe taking a look at it, and knowing how it is connected (3rd pic) somebody here can help understand what it is for.

Regards.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Question: Are you able/willing to remove the daughterboard and post a pic of it here? maybe taking a look at it, and knowing how it is connected (3rd pic) somebody here can help understand what it is for.

Regards.

I'd prefer not to but if no one chimes in over the next week I will do it in the interest of science.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
That certainly doesn't look like a repair, and everything else looks original. Does the game run any differently from the other copies without the daughter board?

Last edited:

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
It's not a first, as it looks:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?18876-ALTERA-MAX-chips-amp-MVS-carts!! (two posts thread only)

Razoola here refers to this thing as some decryption thing.

leonardoliveira (decryption CPS2) refers here to Altera chips and MVS carts.

@ neogeodev:
Some carts like King of Fighters '98 - Dream Match Never Ends had Altera MAX CPLDs as protection devices.
https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=MVS_cartridge

So my money is on: legit cart, decryption thing.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
That certainly doesn't look like a repair, and everything else looks original. Does the game run any differently from the other copies without the daughter board?

Not that I can tell.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
The Altera MAX is a CPLD, and it looks like it is connected to all of the lines of the ROM chip (I am assuming the left side of pins is connected on the other side). Likely it is there as hardware decryption, and it may do checks to be sure it is read the correct way so a bootlegger can't simply read the ROM "through" the decoder to dump it unencrypted.