New to 3DS, what games do I get?

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
So I thought the head tracking thing the new 3DS XL does was pretty awesome and got me to buy one today.

I've picked up Mario Kart 7, Shovel Knight, and a Shantae game. Been enjoying Mario Kart a lot.

What else should I get? I've never played Majora's Mask (or really even Ocarina of Time). I really like platformers and grindfest JRPG's (Dragon Quest, Etrian Odyssey, etc). Racing games can be good, too. Theatrhythm any good?

I think I need to get some sort of hand grip for it, too, as my hands are cramping. I had a nice one for my old DS XL, but can't seem to find one for the new 3DS XL.

Halp.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Fire Emblem Awakening
Shin Megami IV
Animal Crossing New Leaf

These should keep you busy for a while.

Also, Avoid Sonic Racing Transformed. Framerate is terrible for 3DS

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
So I thought the head tracking thing the new 3DS XL does was pretty awesome and got me to buy one today.

I've picked up Mario Kart 7, Shovel Knight, and a Shantae game. Been enjoying Mario Kart a lot.

What else should I get? I've never played Majora's Mask (or really even Ocarina of Time). I really like platformers and grindfest JRPG's (Dragon Quest, Etrian Odyssey, etc). Racing games can be good, too. Theatrhythm any good?

I think I need to get some sort of hand grip for it, too, as my hands are cramping. I had a nice one for my old DS XL, but can't seem to find one for the new 3DS XL.

Halp.

I am also a new 3DS XL newbie; my view is that you can't really go wrong with a Nintendo title. So far been playing Super Mario 3D Land, Zelda - Link Between Worlds and Pilotwings Resort and these are must haves, in the future I plan on picking up New Super Mario Bros 2, Mario Golf World Tour, Mario Tennis Open and Zelda Majora's mask. FYI there is a pretty decent demo version of Mario Golf World Tour available in the eshop so you can try that to see if its something you may want.

As for the comfort levels when playing - no denying the 3DS XL is a pretty big system to hold, after an hour of two of gameplay you can kind of feel its weight somewhat.

Concerning the head tracking, my observations here are limited to the three titles I currently have, but it seems to work better with the newer titles SM3DL, Zelda than with an older title like Pilotwings. For Pilotwings I also found that I need to fiddle with the 3D slide control for best results, whilst with the other two games I just leave it maxed out for 3D. I think its possible that while the head tracking also works with older games, it is the new software which will be taking full advantage of its capabilities so hopefully the best is still to come.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
If you dig Animal Crossing, and it's hard not to, check out Fantasy Life. The main story is a bit... 'eh, but if that's what you end up doing with the time you spend in the game, I'd be surprised. The world is very big and completely wide open, allowing you to just veer off track at any point and just explore. It's so rewarding to take a low level cook out and venture into caves, woods and strange towns finding all sorts of cool new ingredients and weapons. It was one of those really great gaming experiences, and when you go and change up your life to something else like the Magician, things completely change again.

It took me about 70 hours to get my fill of the game, and I mastered four lives, including the Cook, which wasn't easy... and became a Hero/Legendary Wizard before I actually finished the main story. Taking breaks, doing my own thing, and then returning to the story made for a game I will definitely go back and experience again... With a whole new path of lives.

Tomodachi Life is also something very odd and very special. Less of a game and more like a little weird life/apartment simulator. If you see it cheap, I'd grab it... Or give the demo a go in the eShop.

Luigi's Mansion 2 is incredible, and is the old-school Nintendo game, full of old-school Nintendo love you've been missing. So much charm in that game, but the difficulty does ramp up toward the end and you may want to punch your 3DS when you finally fight the clock boss. Even if you stop right there, and don't finish the game, you'll have had a blast with it.

Legend of Zelda - Link Between Worlds is really good. Classic 2D Zelda, a bit easier than normal, mostly due to being able to rent all of the weapons/items right away, but that just makes it a lot more chill to experience the game and allows for some good puzzles. I liked this so much better than the Ocarina of Time remake, which I ended up just giving up on... Too old school... Too clunky... Stick with the 2D Zeldas for sure.

Kid Icarus and Starfox 64 will set you back a pretty penny now, but both are cool games in their own right. If you see a copy used for cheap, I'd grab them.

Man, I could go on and on. There are so many great little games on the 3DS :D

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'd second pretty much any title by Nintendo. I'm currently playing through A Link between Worlds and I'm loving it. I also played through OOT which was incredible too.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Super Mario 3D Land
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
Pokemon X/Y
Professor Layton
Professor Layton bs phoenix wright
Star fox 64 3d
Zelda link between worlds
Zelda ocarina of time/Majoras mask
Tales of the Abyss
Smash brothers
Animal crossing
Fantasy life
Dkc returns
Fire emblem
Kid Icarus
Metal gear solid 3d
Resident evil revelations
Zero escape
Monster hunter 3/4
Theatrhythm/curtain call

Phew.

Last edited:

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Supposedly Curtain Call has everything the first one has and more.

groundzero

Cheng's Errand Boy
Everything by Nintendo, Mario , zelda, I still need to pick up star fox my self

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I got Curtain Call and it's surpisingly fun. So far I think I'm going to grab:

Bravely Default
Etrian Odyssey Untold
Fire Emblem: Awakening
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Shin Megami Tensei IV

May grab Pilotwings too, but not sure yet.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
All 3 zeldas
fire emblem
kid icarus
mario 3d land
and Definitely Bravely default

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
I recommend the following digital only titles:
Azure Striker Gunvolt (aka megaman)
Pokemon Shuffle/Trozei
HarmoKnight
Crimson Shroud

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I recommend the following digital only titles:
Azure Striker Gunvolt (aka megaman)
Pokemon Shuffle/Trozei
HarmoKnight
Crimson Shroud

On top of that, pushmo is a great DL title that uses the 3D very well.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
+1 to all the games suggested in this thread. Another recommendation I haven't seen yet is Persona Q-excellent dungeon crawler / grind-fest. I'm enjoying it immensely.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
+1 to all the games suggested in this thread. Another recommendation I haven't seen yet is Persona Q-excellent dungeon crawler / grind-fest. I'm enjoying it immensely.

I looked at that. It looks like it's basically Etrian Odyssey with Persona characters?

Been playing Bravely Default since yesterday and it is fantastic so far.

daijiro_074

Crazed MVS Addict
3DS and New 3DS are both great systems, i got one the last year with Ocarina Of Time and at this time i looking for Majora's Mask. All the games suggested in this thread are great but i personally recommend you the three Zeldas.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
3D Galaxy Force II will rock your fucking nuts off, hands down the best 3D I've seen on the system. The rest of the Sega 3D Classics line is great, but this one is especially great.

Gunman Clive 1 or 2 is a snazzy game. Unlike most overpriced e-shop rubbish it's 2 bucks and worth every penny. Even if you don't like it, it's 2 bucks, if you played it for 5 minutes you've gotten your money's worth.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Mario Golf: World Tour - If you like Mario golf games. Really well done.

cybersp78

n00b
If you like tactical RPGs like Fire Emblem, a great launch title that you should be able to find cheap is Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
+1 to every recommendation here, and here's some more.

Xeodrifter (eShop)
Retro City Rampage (eShop)
Citizens of Earth (eShop) (if you dig EarthBound, this is worth checking out)
Shovel Knight (eShop)
Pretty much all the Sega 3D Classics (eShop)
Ultimate NES Remix (basically NES Remix 1 and 2 combined, less the dud games, like Clu Clu Land)

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
The lack of Pushmo recommendations in this thread hurts my soul.