Favorite Joystick to Play With

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
So what are the part numbers?

Got my enclosures last week from okwenclosures.com really happy with them. Hell I contacted them asking some questions about the particular part #'s I was interested in and they sent me two of them as a free sample! Here is a few shots of them got the button layout done up just got to transfer it over.

Really like the look of these about as close to the original sticks as you are going to find. Very sturdy as well.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
EG- some good looking stuff going on there.

I've got a Saturn pad hack in the works.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
Thanks James and xsq. :cool:

I haven't ordered my female DB-15 connectors yet. But I'm putting them on the lower half of the enclosure right below the start & select buttons. It has to be very close to the top edge because that part of the enclosure is on a angle pointing down. Cord will hit table/ desk and be in a bind. It will work though I done several clearance checks to be sure.

Oh, I couldn't resist installing one of the sticks last night lol. Sit up until 1:30 am getting it fitted perfect. I wanted the stick hole to be small as possible for a cleaner look. The dust washer is mounted between the stick plate & the top half enclosure. I used fender wshers that were slightly thicker than the dust washer so it wouldn't bind up. Got some sweet button head hex bolts 4mm for the sticks. I originally wanted to mount the sticks to the bottom half of the enclosure to avoid bolts on top. But that would be a major pain in the ass. Because the enclosure has to slide into place to lock into to the 4 small tabs.

Pic's:

This is an awesome built. Looks really clean too.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
They are about $52 each, I wonder if we can do a group order to get a better price on these.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
They are about $52 each, I wonder if we can do a group order to get a better price on these.

They might just do that, they are awesome to deal with i know that. I talked with Travis, they sent these two as a free sample no shipping cost nothing.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Not a build, but this thing is great for the Saturn...
ASC0602Cfront.jpg

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Got stick #2 done tonight finally, turned out pretty good imo.

Wanted to say thanks to several members that helped me on these: mjmjr25, Xian Xi and ElectricGrave I appreciate it guys very much.

All I need now is the DB-15 connectors and then they are going to Xian Xi for the wiring job. :cool:

Here is a way better pic's of the second stick took my time making a good pic so you guys could see them better.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I love it! Suggestively speaking, Scott @ Gamesongraphix has this bullet proof material that's adhesive and would be perfect for your CP as it has a bevel on it and would look like it was meant for it. You should do it!

No need to thank me brother, you had a pretty good idea of what you wanted to do from the get go, all you needed was a bit of direction, glad it came out so awesome! Congrats!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
normally I'm not into such colorful sticks, but yours look very nice. Yummy!

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Thanks EG & xsq, everything turned out great so far. The DB-15 female connectors will be a mild challenge though. Because the lower half of the enclosure where I want to mount them is on an angle. My extension cords I got, if the male ends didn't have the extra shoulder on them it would be easier as far as clearance goes. But since the case is so thick and my placement of the connector will be just right I think it will all be good maybe. I'll snap a few pic's when I get the connectors and get the layout done before I start to drill into plastic & get some input here from you doods.

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Those are gonna be boss, Marty. Glad you found something you're going to love!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Hey Marty, what type of DB15 are you gonna be using, a solder cup one, a crimp one or a breakout one? The first two are small enough that space won't be an issue but the breakout one although my favorite, it's always a space monger, you could always place the breakout DB 15 inside and just have the wired plugged in at all times, not as cool as having a disconnect setup but still pretty decent. I have soldercup DB15s if you want one.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Hey Marty, what type of DB15 are you gonna be using, a solder cup one, a crimp one or a breakout one? The first two are small enough that space won't be an issue but the breakout one although my favorite, it's always a space monger, you could always place the breakout DB 15 inside and just have the wired plugged in at all times, not as cool as having a disconnect setup but still pretty decent. I have soldercup DB15s if you want one.

Hey bro, yeah I'm going with the solder cup style already got them coming. The spot I'm wanting to put them has a pretty big angle on it. I could do what you said and have it hard wired at all times but really like having the cord be able to unplug. So I'm going to half to actually use some angle aluminum for the actual DB-15 to mount to. Then the angle mount to the bottom of enclosure. Them I'll trim out the plastic to the shape of the DB's lots of work but I just don't see any other way to do it. I could just mount the DB's to the enclosure itself but its going to make the cord bind bad.

Thanks for the offer on the DB's man I appreciate it very much. I'll post some pic's of what I have in mind to do maybe today or tomorrow.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Suggestively speaking, don't do it on the bottom half, do it on the top half next to the select start button but over the abcd side instead over the stick side. I can see the bottom half being a problem as it is angled low, at least by the looks of it. The cup solders DB15s take very little space, I think you should be fine.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Just don't use the crimp kind, they are fucking awful.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Not if you have the crimping tool and the right stranded type of wire, they're actually pretty cool and easy as hell to do.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Maybe it was the ones I got or my technique, I had the proper tool. It works fine, but some of the pins don't stick out as far as others, drives my ocd insane.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Got some more done on the sticks. Man I should have took EG's advice on mounting the DB's under the ABCD buttons been a lot easier. But, since they turned out like I wanted and I plan on keeping these for a long time I didn't mind to put in the extra work get it perfect.

Got the DB style holes cut out in the enclosures they turned out good as well.

Here's the problem you run into on these enclosures. The lower half of enclosure on back has a steep angle. So your cord is going to bind if you mount the DB flush to that area.

So I needed some black plastic that I could use as a mounting bracket for the DB's. Everything I found was to thin and flimsy. Happen to be in my garage and looked a bolt organizer & knew this was perfect.

After some cutting and sanding they look like they were meant for the sticks.

Now I have a perfect flat surface to mount the DB's on. As soon as I get them it will be pretty much done on my part then ship to James for the wiring.

Last edited:

PSICODROMO

Crazed MVS Addict
this cases looks awesome but are a little expensive, I think that is a better solution buy a cheaper stick like Mayflash and change the buttons and stick for Sanwa\Seimitsu

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
^Maybe you're are right but when this is done, it's gonna be way better than any case with 8 buttons would ever be. There's something to be said about an arcade stick with just the right amount of buttons for the job, even if plugged, extra buttons are just in the way.

I'm loving the McGuyvering Marty, very cool.

Edit: What did you sue to make the DB15 hole? Looks very clean.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
^Maybe you're are right but when this is done, it's gonna be way better than any case with 8 buttons would ever be. There's something to be said about an arcade stick with just the right amount of buttons for the job, even if plugged, extra buttons are just in the way.

I'm loving the McGuyvering Marty, very cool.

Edit: What did you sue to make the DB15 hole? Looks very clean.

Lol, thanks bro. I traced the shape of the end cable into paper, then transfrered it onto the plastic. I just cut it out by hand with hobby blade then took my time sanding it. I build a lot of model cars so have plenty of patients with stuff like that. Btw, did you get the package from me yet?

PSICODROMO

Crazed MVS Addict
If you make a mod of your old arcade stick or a cheaper stick, you also can change the top case if you only want have 4 buttons, you can make a new top cover or you can just put plugs.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
If you make a mod of your old arcade stick or a cheaper stick, you also can change the top case if you only want have 4 buttons, you can make a new top cover or you can just put plugs.

Those enclosures i used i got for free from the manufacturer. So all i have as far as monies is the sticks, buttons, etc..