Favorite Joystick to Play With

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Thanks for the feedback, guys. She may not look like much on the inside but she's got it where it counts. Maybe one of these days, I'll clean up the insides. For now, it's working perfectly and I'm kicking some ass with that rapid fire. When I get around to modding my Dreamcast stick, I'll post some pics as well.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Yeah, I'm with you there: As long as it works, is solid and looks alright from the outside it wouldn't bother me much either. As for Dreamcast stickmods, be sure to check out what Atro did with his recently (and my ideas to improve upon his design :glee: ...man, I whish I had the time to mod mine right right now.)

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Atro's stick is awesome. I can only aspire to mod like that. Like you said, xsq...I wish I had TIME to do it...

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Ok, I'm in the process of making some custom sticks. With the help of several members here of course. Going to be using Seimitsu LS-40 sticks, (sticks have translucent blue ball top, translucent shaft covers as well.) Seimitsu 30mm translucent MVS colored buttons.

Here's the enclosures I'm using:

http://www.okwenclosures.com/en/Comtec/A0629109.htm?var=f30d2022-633f-11e3-937d-00163e72470b

Having a member here help me think of a collage design on SNK characters for the overlay to match my buttons.

Here's my design on my buttons I like how they turned out. The translucent buttons separate and have a white plunger type button under the colored one. Found some small images I wanted to use.

xsq

nice idea... but I would've stayed within one game (series) instead of mixing... like make a set of buttons all with Metal Slug characters.

However you decide... and let us know how it turns out :)

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
nice idea... but I would've stayed within one game (series) instead of mixing... like make a set of buttons all with Metal Slug characters.

Thanks bro, well the reason I did this was I want a collage of a bunch of characters form different Neo games for the overlay.

Here is a few examples of something similar how I want it done like these are just for reference purposes only.

http://arcadecontrols.com/images/News/2007-01-26-metalslug.jpg

http://8bitfoundation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/XX.png

This one is badass love to get it like this maybe not as much but w/ random Neo characters, vehicles, etc.

http://www.gameongrafix.com/sc_images/products/FightingCPO.jpg

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Six years or so after selling my cab, I got back into Neo tonight with my Omega and Hori stick II. I have to say I'm really impressed with the Hori stick, I thought playing on my couch I would like the Neo CD pad better, but the Hori stick is amazing. The only negative is it seems looser than my Sanwa sticks I had on my cab, it threw me off in a few spots on Metal Slug. I'll need to look into modding the stick, but otherwise I have to admit I was really impressed how great of a home stick it is. Although my opinion may be skewed by the fact I was excited to be playing MS1 again.

Last edited:

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
my fav is the neo geo hori fighting stick(both versions) a solid stick that you can mod if needed

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Got my enclosures last week from okwenclosures.com really happy with them. Hell I contacted them asking some questions about the particular part #'s I was interested in and they sent me two of them as a free sample! Here is a few shots of them got the button layout done up just got to transfer it over.

Really like the look of these about as close to the original sticks as you are going to find. Very sturdy as well.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Got your PM about this, looks great! Meant to answer but mind as well just let you know I think they're gonna be great. I suggest some weights, it helped my enclosures 'cause I found them rather light.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Got your PM about this, looks great! Meant to answer but mind as well just let you know I think they're gonna be great. I suggest some weights, it helped my enclosures 'cause I found them rather light.

Thanks man, yeah i dig the look of the enclosure's. Btw, where do you guys get a 30mm & 24mm hole saws from? Hell Lowes, Home Depot dosen't have nothing metric. Didn't have much luck looking online either. :scratch:

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I bought mine online. Dewalt makes them, maybe their website can sent you on the right direction? There's also the step bit those are awesome as well but I rather the holw saw bits. Stay away from spade bits at less you're working on wood.

xsq

damn, those enclosures do look good!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member

I'm with you here.
Although it doesn't look bad, sticking to a game pattern would look even better.

It's still really cool imho.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Thanks guys I appreciate it, got some time to work on them today. Going try to get the stick mounted in one of them tomorrow.

xsq

nice and clean! Where are you going to put the connector/cord?

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Thanks James and xsq. :cool:

nice and clean! Where are you going to put the connector/cord?

I haven't ordered my female DB-15 connectors yet. But I'm putting them on the lower half of the enclosure right below the start & select buttons. It has to be very close to the top edge because that part of the enclosure is on a angle pointing down. Cord will hit table/ desk and be in a bind. It will work though I done several clearance checks to be sure.

Oh, I couldn't resist installing one of the sticks last night lol. Sit up until 1:30 am getting it fitted perfect. I wanted the stick hole to be small as possible for a cleaner look. The dust washer is mounted between the stick plate & the top half enclosure. I used fender wshers that were slightly thicker than the dust washer so it wouldn't bind up. Got some sweet button head hex bolts 4mm for the sticks. I originally wanted to mount the sticks to the bottom half of the enclosure to avoid bolts on top. But that would be a major pain in the ass. Because the enclosure has to slide into place to lock into to the 4 small tabs.

Pic's:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
it looks gorgeous.

I would recommend you just to replace the stick screws with flat ones for greater comfort. ;)

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
it looks gorgeous.

I would recommend you just to replace the stick screws with flat ones for greater comfort. ;)
I agree, really efficient design and you nailed it on the first try. Well done. A few domed chrome screws (painted black if you like) would really dress it up, along with a dust washer for the stick.

I imagine that people who are good at working plexi could also do great things with that case, since it has a depression where a panel would look great seated in.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I agree, really efficient design and you nailed it on the first try. Well done. A few domed chrome screws (painted black if you like) would really dress it up, along with a dust washer for the stick.

I imagine that people who are good at working plexi could also do great things with that case, since it has a depression where a panel would look great seated in.

Thanks Atro & SmokeMonster.

Well you might not be able to tell in the pic's but the button head hex bolts are about the slimiest bolt you can use. They look like very small pop rivets. And I mounted the dust washer in between the stick and top half enclosure. I don't like a dust washer on top but that's just my personal preference, I like a cleaner look. Now I could have counter sink the holes and use those type of bolts to be almost smooth. But, when you counter sink those holes it will leave the plastic very thin and could possibly crack from intense use. It wasn't worth risking for that and plus these buttons types are very smooth it doesn't feel awkward at all on the hand.

Here's a close up of the button head hex bolts I use these on almost everything I build.

I can work plexi & lexan I have done it several times on my old supergun. I just don't know if I want to put more holes in the enclosure. :( Because the lower corners would definitely need it there I would assume. But I agree it needs something but not sure what yet. Maybe a SNK logo sticker right below the stick and buttons centered in middle of enclosure?

Maybe one like this:

https://lockgamer.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/snk-logo-1.gif?w=500&h=100

Last edited: