Favorite Joystick to Play With

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
WOW, ElectricGrave, those all look so good! Well done!!!

^ this agreed 1000%. I don't know shit about wood or metal working but this makes me want to learn.

ElectricGrave, if you do joystick-work-for-hire (giggity) let me know. I'm newb around here so I have no idea what your secret project is, but I hope it goes awesomely well.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'll just keep going through the catalog of stuff on digikey and mouser in the 8.5-10mm square range until I find one that works just right.
If you find something let us know. It'd be pretty cool to have replacements for the NGCDpad.

Wanna join my neo geo joystick club? You have my permission to use my sig
are you working on becoming most unpopular member of the year? Sure seems that way.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Thanks for the compliments guys. Those sticks were built years ago, not really thinking of doing any commission work anymore. There's so many folks doing commission work that I'm sure it won't be hard to source something. SRK has a strong scene for custom sticks with builders that surpass me a tenfold, check it out!

Wanna join my neo geo joystick club? You have my permission to use my sig

lol, stfu noob, you're an idiot.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
So is there a go to site for wooden boxes for DIY projects? I want to build 2 joysticks for a supergun and it looks like all the sites that I use to go to have all closed down.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
That black controller is the nicest neo controller ive seen yet. Looks like it would be a fingerprint magnet with the glossy top, but its damn classy nevertheless!

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
I am going to build a joystick with your desktop console idea. I love how clean it looks! You do great work!

I like the SNK sticks for non fighting games. Fighting games I prefer something a bit bigger or with a better button layout (old AES stick ugh), love the Hori stick. If you're looking for a very cheap alternative you could get a desktop enclosure, get some sanwa or whatever brand you prefer and build it, it's super easy, the Neo is the easiest console to build sticks for.

1. Desktop Enclosure
3756150.jpg

2. Break out DB15
$(KGrHqRHJDgFIr3IO95GBSSS!KUkR!~~60_35.JPG

3. Arcade parts
mVWhgM6h1md0usV-CFQHkEg.jpg

4. Neo Geo DB15 extension cable.
$_35.JPG

ext-cable.jpg

As you can see the generic cables need some modification to reach the pins in your console/cmvs, so cut gently with any given blade and you'll be fine.

5. 30mm holesaw, 24mm holesaw, hardware to mount stick (bolts), drill.

You won't spend a whole lot with this and you'll be rocking the best money can by, if you want a larger case I'm sure you can find something out there.

Here's a sample of what can be done with a desktop enclosure.

Boat200

New Challenger
I am going to build a joystick with your desktop console idea. I love how clean it looks! You do great work!

Those look awesome! Love the idea of getting standardized boxes, and then building them for different consoles. But, how does the slant feel on that desktop enclosure? Isn't it a bit too angular? Other less angular alternatives that are good?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The angle is fine. I play the NES one very frequently, the slant has never been a problem.

xsq

slant depends on what you like and how you hold your hand... try it.

EtotheNGSPD

Mr. Big's Thug
That is by far one of the best sticks I have seen in this thread (Mai stick). Good job man.
...or you can go custom, building a wood case isn't really that hard if you have the tools and means for the job but it's pretty time consuming.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I might commission a stick from someone soon. All of the cool designs on here are giving me that itch.

Question though-I haven't seen a stick yet that has rapid-fire. Is that something that's feasable / reasonable to add?

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Im assuming thats a modded hrap. Love it but can't stand extra buttons on a neo stick. Would slap some plugs in place of those white buttons.

No not a modded HRAP, some Euro stick. The idea for the extra buttons are for other games via Supergun.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
For me either 6 or 4 buttons. I much rather use a 6 button and just use the 4 button as A and the top 3 respectively over having 7 buttons, it's like those cabs with 7 buttons, I dunno what Taito was thinking when they designed their vewlix, maybe they saw people's pics of their cabs. Every time I see that done on a super Neo 29 or any other cab for that matter it makes me cringe a little.

That stick could have been super hot if it was just 4 buttons.

xsq

II haven't seen a stick yet that has rapid-fire. Is that something that's feasable / reasonable to add?
feasible: yes, there are a number of circuits that can be used. Reasonable: that's really up to you.

For me either 6 or 4 buttons. I much rather use a 6 button and just use the 4 button as A and the top 3 respectively over having 7 buttons. [...] Every time I see that done [...] it makes me cringe a little.
This.