Neo Geo CDZ Capacitor Replacement Chart

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I'm helping Console5 make a CDZ capacitor kit. Below are charts of the two PCBs that I made, along with top-down photos that I took.

You can download the original PDN (paint.net) schematics and two extremely high-res TIFFs of the two top-down photos here (107 MB)

Notes:
-Polarity is marked on the caps in the schematic with + and -
-Replace the white thermal compound on the voltage regulars if you are so inclined.
-The Neo Geo CDZ's laser is a Sharp H8151AF that you can get for $9-12 shipped. Make sure the laser's label says SHARP on it, otherwise it's generic. Gamedoctorhk sells the exact same laser at five times the price...

Last edited:

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Here is a chart for the CDZ power supply POWCD-J2. The original PSU caps are all excellent quality Nichicons.

Download the original paint.net PDN and TIFFs here (27 MB)

Last edited:

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I used my chart and console5's CDZ kit to install the caps. Everything works perfectly, so it's good to go. Even though it's not listed on their site, console5 will probably sell you the kit if you email them. It should be about $15, and the caps are all Nichicon brand.

Alternatively, you can use the same chart to just buy your own caps from mouser or digikey, although after shipping it comes out to about the same price--for one kit at least.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Nice job!

Every older console needs a cap replacement guide.
The more live consoles in circulation the better.
At least with the CDZ, it looks like they largely resisted the trend of using those shoddy surface mount electrolytic caps that are so regularly a problem in other consoles like the PCEngine and Game Gear.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Agreed, its caps looked very good compared to what I see in some consoles, although I've only had my hands on one CDZ so far.

TeamShake

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Was there a problem with your CDZ, or was it just for preventative maintenance? I had mine opened recently and the caps looked ok. I opened it, thanks to your other thread, to remove the bottom shield.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Was there a problem with your CDZ, or was it just for preventative maintenance? I had mine opened recently and the caps looked ok. I opened it, thanks to your other thread, to remove the bottom shield.
It was just maintenance and mine all looked good too. With the big price tag on the CDZ, it just seemed like it deserved it. It's probably not a system that is in dire need of recapping unless there are problems.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Noob question because I value the life of my CDZ: What are the symptoms of needing a recap?

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Noob question because I value the life of my CDZ: What are the symptoms of needing a recap?
I only have experience with one CDZ, so maybe others can chime in with specific symptoms for them.

With other consoles in general, the signs can include: no audio, low audio, no video, dim video, video artifacts or noise, a weak laser (CD read errors or the inability to read discs), damaged PCBs from leaking caps, no power, etc.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I just saw that the pack's link went down, so here is a mirror with all of the schematics & high-res TIFFs (156mb).

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Great info! Does anyone know if any seller actually has the Sharp branded lasers? I ordered 3 via EBay listed as "genuine Sharp" but of course coming from China there's no brand marking anywhere and I'd be surprised if Sharp is still actually making these.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I ran in to the same thing. I even bought one from a Chinese seller than had pictures of an actual Sharp laser in their listing and assured me it was made by Sharp, and it turned out to be generic. I doubt they still make them, so even if you did find one it would probably be NOS.

gtdoering

New Challenger
Thank you for the great info! I've been searching for a suitable replacement laser for awhile now. Great job on the Cap replacement chart! Your efforts are appreciated.