Hey all!

kotter

n00b
Hey peeps,

thought I'd introduce myself now that I've got thread rights :)

My short story is that I picked up my first neo geo (MV1B) about six months ago along with a copy of metal slug3 and a couple of AES sticks.

Never had one before and hardly played any NG games either, aside from some MS1 in a local game store some 15-20 years ago.
It's now the crown jewel in my small gaming setup along with the SNES and NES that I'm about to do an RGB mod on in the near future.

I've found a love for tinkering with these old systems and an unhealthy obsession with making them all run as clean and smooth as possible through my GBS, which so far has been extremely frustrating (I've most likely managed to pick up a knockoff that is not very reliable) but it'll get there eventually!

That's it for now, I'll most likely be hanging around the tech area whenever I pick up a broken cart that I'm trying to fix :)

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
If you are new to Neo Geo you have so many great games ahead of you! Welcome!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
an unhealthy obsession with making them all run as clean and smooth as possible through my GBS, which so far has been extremely frustrating (I've most likely managed to pick up a knockoff that is not very reliable) but it'll get there eventually!
Hi, I think the GBS (own one myself) is always a lot of hassle to set up with each of the consoles. What issues are you having?

kotter

n00b
Thanks for the welcoming!

@xsq: Getting it to sync. I'd been fiddeling with it on and of for a couple of months and couldn't get it to work even though I followed the exact same setup as everyone else seemed to use. Eventually I found out that I needed a 680 resistor on the sync stripper output and while that didn't fix it, there was an improvement. So I kept upping the resistance just to see what would happen and at 2,2k I was getting a somewhat stable image but I went even further to see where the range was. At 6,8k I was still getting a stable picture and higher then that I would loose it again so I kept it. After playing for a while I noticed that some effects on the snes didn't go too well with the sync so I wanted to tweak the resistance some more.
Brought it back down to 1k since that's roughly where it should be, lost the picture and tried to work the controls to get it to sync.
Didn't work and now I'm not getting any picture at all even when I restore to what I had before or run the mvs sync straight to the gbs (which it should be able to handle right?).

So I'm thinking that I've either tinkered too much with it or I just need to get a proper one that would hopefully be a bit more reliable.

I did notice however when I was measuring the voltage output of the sync stripper that my PSU is not very stable, was getting readings from 4-6v so that might have something to do with it but since it worked every single time once I managed to find a setup that worked I'm not su sure about that.

Do you run a knockoff yourself or did you go for the official one?

kotter

n00b
Hi j.

@Reclaimer: Thanks! yeah I've got a list of 20 games that I want to get to start of, good mix of everything and the ones that are commonly recommended. After that I'm pretty much out of space unless I can convince the mrs that we need a bigger place!

xsq

Concerning the scaler itself: I did not know there were knockoffs of the GBS-8200/8220... I was under the impression those were made in China for very cheap, so it's kinda surprising to me.

As for your sync problem, I have not encountered that one. Try to press the down button on the PCB, the LED should flash a couple of times. That helps with sync for me (I need to use it everytime I change from PAL (50hz) to NTSC (60hz)). Can you see the blue chinese characters right after you power the GBS on?

kotter

n00b
Thanks F4U57

@xsq: yeah I'm not sure about it but I've read in quite a few threads where people talk about knockoffs. I've tried resetting and using the autoscan plenty of times which will work when I've got some kind of sync already but not in this case. When I boot it up everything looks normal (with the Chinese boot screen) and it says no signal. I've tried switching modes, resolutions, autoscanning etc. sometimes I get a quick picture that is completely out of sync when I switch modes and then change resolution, sometimes I just get a green screen with some flicker on it and sometimes the controls will just stop responding.

xsq

that sounds messed up. I can't help you too much, because I'm not that knowlegeble... maybe a thread in the appropriate Tech Subforum would be a good idea. What sync stripper are you using btw?

kotter

n00b
I'm using a DIY lm1881 stripper but I'm pretty sure that it's not to blame since I can't even sync the MVS when I pass it straight on to the GBS (which has always worked before).
For now I'm pretty fed up with it though and will move on to RGB modding my NES instead, will take this in the tech forum at a later date.

Thanks anyway for you time xsq, much appreciated!

xsq

well, then the next step would be to test the GBS with another RGB device... but I can totally understand if you're fed up with it ^^

also: don't mention it.

kotter

n00b
Thanks man!

@xsq: I'd been testing with both the SNES and MVS and funny thing is, I just finished my NES mod and plugged it in to the GBS for shits and giggles... almost immediately synced... one auto scan to lock it in and now it works perfectly for all my systems. I can't say I have any clue on what's going on but I'm glad I didn't buy a new one!

xsq

:) must be the uberNESmod then. Good to hear it worked itself out (miraculously).

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
n00bs welcoming n00bs...

It's like WEIRDVILLE!

xROTx