Cyber-lip > all slugs except 1,2,X. (3 close to acceptable.)

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
So this shit came up, and I was told to start the thread by Sloanmage... So here we are.
let me recap what has been said, keep in mind, you will always be wrong because we are old, and you are new, and if you are older than us, then blame Lonesage.
ORIGINS:
MS 1 > all.
i know it has been done but 2>X.
i have not spent enough time with 5. really want to buy a copy finally.
now the flameball. cyber-lip > 3,4,6.
if you know which gun to use in which area, it can be 1cc'ed. i have beat it with having 1 life from using my second credit, its one of my favorite neo titles. cannot place a finger on why. the sound effects used in the game are really cool imo. nostalgia mostly i am sure.
LS:
cyber lip being more fun than 3, 4 and 6...i agree except for 3 (which goes on for too long but at the time remember SNK was dying and would have been the last slug for all they knew). make it a general discussion thread.
MEGAY:
you listed my only gripe with MS 3. otherwise i would love 3. we are like spirit homo-bro rage brethren. being from VA is no consequence. its something in the water. regardless. lonesagegay.
LONETITS:
Make a Cyber lip > Slug 3 thread and look at how many lil fags throw a hissyfit

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Slug 3 is a product of its time. SNK was going under. Staff knew this, they were working on 3 at the time. They thought better to get out with a bang, so they jampacked 3 with the most ludicrous shit at the time. The word gets thrown around a lot, but the game was epic. It was a masterpiece.

Then SNK had to go and fuck it all up by coming back to life. And making two more Slugs on the Neo.

Suddenly, the final stage that was as long as the rest of the levels doesn't feel as epic anymore. It feels tired. It makes me tired. It goes on, and on, and on, and on.

Slug 3 is Michael Jordan saying he's retiring and then coming back a few years later.

But let's look at Cyber-Lip. This game, along with the rest of the Neo library from 1990, has no pretensions. It is exactly what it is, an early run 'n gunner on the Neo. It's goofy. The bosses are big and one of them is like a penis. The voice acting is endearing. The ending is on par with works by master filmmaker M. Night Shamalamadingdong. If you like Cyber-Lip, you probably like Robo Army, Eightman and other early Neo games. Most importantly, though, it doesn't drag on forfuckingever like Slug 3.

Now.
Which is the better game? Slug 3 or Cyber-Lip?
Slug 3 IS the better game.
But I'll never want to play it again.
I could definitely go for some CYBER-LIP right now, though.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I absolutely love Cyber Lip, so I'm not going to argue. No one is ever going to consider it the better made game, but when I feel like a quick run and gun I find Cyber Lip going in my Neo Geo more than any other single game.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
I've never played Cyber-Lip and now I've got the play urges and I'm at work :(

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
how does this need to be discussed? Let's all go back to the war room and make love.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
CyberLip has weird controls when rolling the stick from running to ducking. If you're in the middle of shooting, sometimes the duck will kick in right away, sometimes you'll take a few more steps before it kicks in. It's so damn annoying that I really can't take the game seriously because of it.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I don't disagree with this at all. Cyber-Lip is totally under-appreciated. Whether or not it is better than MS3 or not I am not sure about, but both are lots of fun so whatever.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Today: Cyber Lip > MS3

At the time of MS3's release: MS3 > All things Neo

I've played the heck out of MS3 over the years, it's not a game I plan on revisiting anytime soon as it takes about an hour for me to clear if I really get on it.

Cyberlip on the other hand, I can play that no problem. I can knock it out in about 20 minutes and move on with my life.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
IMHO Cyber-Lip is better than most of the Slugs. You are able to change weapons on the fly (you keep the unused ones even if you lose a life). Bosses are not cheap bastards, and things move fast (it takes forever and a day to bring down a tank/zombie using a gun in some Slugs ).

Last edited:

mr.2jz

n00b
I think Cyber-Lip is a great game.

It's what got me hooked on the NeoGeo as a kid, and was the first game I ever played on the console.

It was a pretty well balanced game, with great graphics, and sound too. Like others mentioned, if I want a quick run & gun, it's pretty much the first title I go for.

Hehe..the ending yes was pretty good.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
soooo... cyber lip > a few crappy games. bold statement dude.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
haha hadnt looked at it that way alec, but yes. pretty much.
to all others, i guess the common consensus here is that the future of a series really can actually do harm to a previous title in some ways.
also i agree that the duck can be tricky at times, it like many other early neo games really wanted super precise directional control inputs or more often than not things didnt go as you wanted them to (im looking at you art of fighting one.)
the ending to cyber-lip really tripped me out the first time i saw it, i still love it. the first KOTM had a pretty awesome ending as well.
as far as penis shaped objects in the game, of course there is the penis boss, but there is also the alien level with the Cell DBZ like monsters and the giant rod shaped moon rock silos in the background as well. lot of dick in that game.

Like the seasons of Dexter after the 4th, the Star Wars prequels, and the last two Matrix movies I pretend they don't exist. Metal Slug 3 was the last Metal Slug, I actually just got a copy of CyberLip. Sure I bitch about the controls they are kinda clunky, however I find myself playing it a ton.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
Cyber-lip really is a good game I think however switching from playing MS to cyber-lip is a huge gear change. Personally I grew up on many many hours of MS before I found cyber-lip. Cyber-lip feels like a slower paced game compared to MS in my opinion, clunky controls and hard to get used to after playing and getting the feel for MS. Cyber-lip isn't a bad game really just a feels like a different style game-play vs MS.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Cyber-Lip is awesome but in no way better than Slug 3, "oh is too long!" Oh well, time to roll up your sleeves, it's not like you can 1CC the other slugs anyway so mind as well go for it.

Slug 4 and 5...5 > 4 and with that said X > 2 but I do love 2.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
If I ever play MS3 these days, I just stop when I get to the rockets. I have no interest to play the ship stage anymore. Like many things in life, it's good to know when to quit, before you stop enjoying something :D

That being said, I do love Cyber Lip.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
At least the game gives you a pause before you board the helicoptor in the final stage, perfect time for a bathroom break.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
i agree with the majority of these recent posts. CL is absolutely different from all MS games, but for me, it along with WH1, kotm, mag lord, and blues journey cemented what the neo geo was and is to me. i fucking worship it. all the later improvements just make me love my favorite system even more.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Cyber-Lip has way-cooler writing than Metal Slug as well.

"I am not insane. I was just evilly reprogrammed."

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Cyber lip was bad, ya'll blinded by nostalgia. metal slug 4 was worse than cl tho, the game just didn't feel right. Metal slug 5 seemed unfinished to me, not a bad game, just lacking.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Dude, you need to stop. MSlug4 ok I'll give you that and I also understand a personal point of view, but you're just generalizing and well, you're just a scrub.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
All those games suck balls!

PS- left to play some decent shmups (oustside the MVS) :cool: