Good GB/GBC/GBA Shooters ?

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
I've been on a bit of a Gameboy collecting kick lately. I was curious what worthwhile shooters are the GB system(s)? The only ones I currently have are Nemesis and R-Type DX.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
GB: ZAS, Burai Fighter, Battle Unit Zeoth

GBA: Gradius Galaxies

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Iridion II on GBA wasn't terrible. It gets a little repetitive since each level is just the same repeating backdrop, but I guess it's worth $5-$10.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Steel Empire on GBA is great. It only came out in EUR/USA but it's worth importing.

Black IcE

15 Year Member
OK, So far...
GB/GBC:
------------
ZAS
Burai Fighter
Battle Unit Zeoth
Magical Chase
Solar Striker
Aerostar

GBA:
------
Gradius Galaxies
Steel Empire
Bullet (Homebrew)
Iridiom 2

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll report back once I can find a few of them.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Sigma Star Saga is an awesome GBA shooter / RPG hybrid developed by WayForward. Highly recommended!

daijiro_074

Crazed MVS Addict
Nemesis and Nemesis II on GB & GBC, you can find them also in the Konami GB Collection series

Black IcE

15 Year Member
I've got Nemesis but I am still looking locally for Nemesis 2. I find it interesting how much mileage Konami tries to get out of the Life Force / Salamander / Gradius style of game play.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
Off the top of my head, a couple good arcade compilations that haven't been mentioned yet are Arcade Classic No. 3: Galaga / Galaxian for the Nintendo GameBoy and the Namco Museum 50th Anniversary for the Nintendo GameBoy Advance. I also wholeheartedly agree with just about everything mentioned. Finally, while it's classification as a pure shooter may be up for debate, I have to recommend you try Gunstar Super Heroes for the Nintendo GameBoy Advance; simply put, it's just incredible. :)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Off the top of my head, a couple good arcade compilations that haven't been mentioned yet are Arcade Classic No. 3: Galaga / Galaxian for the Nintendo GameBoy and the Namco Museum 50th Anniversary for the Nintendo GameBoy Advance. I also wholeheartedly agree with just about everything mentioned. Finally, while it's classification as a pure shooter may be up for debate, I have to recommend you try Gunstar Super Heroes for the Nintendo GameBoy Advance; simply put, it's just incredible. :)
Came into this thread to make sure Gunstar Super Heroes was mentioned, left satisfied.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
GB: Battle Unit Zeoth, R-Type II, Vattle Giuce/Betelgeuse

GBA: R-Type III, DARIUS R, Steel Empire, Iridion II

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Quarth on the original GB is a neat shooter block-puzzle hybrid.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Project S-11 for GBC is worth checking out. It's not the greatest shooter ever, but I think it's pretty good given the GBC's limitations.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Project S-11 for GBC is worth checking out. It's not the greatest shooter ever, but I think it's pretty good given the GBC's limitations.

It's actually really good. I'll have to fire up my ever drive and get more titles off it. One I have is real impressive.