Castlevania: Spectral Interlude

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Saw this from the gaming press lately. Looks pretty dope, and the soundtrack is hard fire! :buttrock: :very_ang:

http://spectralinterlude.com/

Even if Konami lost all interest in making proper Castlevania games, Dracula's Castle can’t be kept in the void forever. It just so happens, that this time fans were the ones to aid in it’s return.

It was originally invisioned as a „demake” of Castlevania II: Simon's Quest but eventually turned into an original independent game for ZX Spectrum.

Castlevania: Spectral Interlude is an action-adventure platform game with elements of RPG. It merges well known elements of classic games with some new ideas. It tells a new story which tries to remain consistent with the canon of original franchise and explains why Belmonts disappeared for many years.

Dracula's Castle is awaiting new guests!

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
loaded it up on my +3 speccy yesterday. Hard as nails. I've beaten the first boss and am loving it

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Saw this a couple days ago. I need to buy me Spectrum sometime. Tons of cool stuff and demos on the platform.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Looks pretty badass.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Interesting. The townspeople sure talk a lot more than they did in Simon's Quest.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Maybe the developer will release this game on cassette tape. I don't know why, but I think that would be a boss move.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The platforming looks kinda weak from what I'm seeing. The music is boss though.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Played a couple hours of this last night. I'm really enjoying it so far. Yeah, the first few townspeople dialogue are pretty long-winded, but it definitely gets better.

The platforming portions so far are fairly rudimentary, but I'm hoping that it gets better as the game goes on. Right now I'm playing it on my GCW-Zero, through the Unreal Speccy Portable emulator. I'm not sure if it's the emulator, or this is a design decision, but mapping jump to the UP button on the d-pad is cumbersome when playing. I keep accidentally hitting up and jumping when I don't mean to. Changing the in-game control config doesn't help because it seems that if you want to jump forward, you have to be hitting the diagonals. It's kinda weird to explain.

But in any case, so far I'm diggin' this.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I downloaded a Speccy emulator and this game. Got the game to load but once the title screen comes up, it doesn't accept any inputs. Not in the mood to fuck with it tonight.

The game is amazing. It made me buy a Speccy, a system i didnt know much about. Had to go through all the hustlle of importing one from Europe all the way here to mexico. And now i am discovering the whole Spectrum library of games, and i am loving it.

Cant wait to see what the next project from the creators of this game is... they are truly talented and passionate about the Spectrum. And they are giving it away for free...they rock!

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
One system I have never ventured into, but this looks fun.

Are you all using this emulator? I downloaded it and the game, but still trying to figure out how to navigate to my rom folder and boot a game.

http://www.zxspectrum4.net/emulator.php

Is this possible to play on a real system? If so which spectrum version is the best, and how would I go about obtaining this game?

One system I have never ventured into, but this looks fun.

Are you all using this emulator? I downloaded it and the game, but still trying to figure out how to navigate to my rom folder and boot a game.

http://www.zxspectrum4.net/emulator.php

Is this possible to play on a real system? If so which spectrum version is the best, and how would I go about obtaining this game?

I dont know about emulators, but you can actually play it on real hardware with a flashcard. You need a Spectrum with 128K of ram. I am using a Spectrum+2 and a flashcard called Interface 1bis.

Its a really good Castlevania game, and really impressive compared with most of the Spectrum library of games, it looks and sounds very impressive given the system limitations, and it plays just as good as the NES games...minus the scrolling, but its no big deal.

The Speccy actually has pretty cool hombrew support, many good games coming out for it.