Hori fightstick 1 worth restoring?

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Great work!

I restored a Hori Saturn stick a while back. It's nearly the same as the Neo from the looks of it. If I'm right and they are the same dimensions, you will have trouble fitting any stick because the Hori's case is too shallow.

I had to dremel out the plastic mount in the Hori (underneath the joystick) and drill holes in the top panel to get anything to fit. You might also have to remove the top metal mounting panel from the replacement stick.

Last edited:

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
Thanks! :D
Still a long way to go but at least I started today!

Ouch... man I hoped that I could skip ye ole dremler. .. hmm. And I just checked the seimitsu stick I have and there are no mounting holes in the plastic either. I wonder if any seimitsu has it at all. What I mean is holes in the plastic that the 4 pins that are visible in the hori case when removing the joystick will go into.

JLF sticks seems to have some hexagonal holes that might fit?
But they are probably to small and needs to be drilled.

I'll need to confirm if there are any chance at all at finding a stick that'll fit. JLF or ls-xx doesn't really matter as long as I don't need the dremel!

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Thanks! :D
Still a long way to go but at least I started today!

Ouch... man I hoped that I could skip ye ole dremler. .. hmm. And I just checked the seimitsu stick I have and there are no mounting holes in the plastic either. I wonder if any seimitsu has it at all. What I mean is holes in the plastic that the 4 pins that are visible in the hori case when removing the joystick will go into.

JLF sticks seems to have some hexagonal holes that might fit?
But they are probably to small and needs to be drilled.

I'll need to confirm if there are any chance at all at finding a stick that'll fit. JLF or ls-xx doesn't really matter as long as I don't need the dremel!
If it's like the Hori Saturn stick, the LS-32 will require a dremel and a lot of patience! I couldn't find anything that was shallow enough.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
If it's like the Hori Saturn stick, the LS-32 will require a dremel and a lot of patience! I couldn't find anything that was shallow enough.
Thanks for that... This stick looks just like the PS hori sticks I have. I'll keep that in mind when I upgrade those.

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
Will check it out!

The cleaning and restoration is going really nice but I am so fekkin stuck on wich color to choose for the faceplate ... man its difficult to choose!! I can't decide if doing it black again and just make some gold text similar to the original or if I should buy another color... I have red,blue,green,black from other projects, but I don't know if it will look any good :/.

Was thinking about making it a brighter color with matching mesh ball and white text but daaaaamn it's hard to choose.

What do you think?

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
Aw man... couldn't wait. Paint ordered... fingers crossed it'll look good :/..

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
You'll see soon :). I don't want to spoil it.. and in case it looks like shit, I'll save myself the embarrassment :D

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
Maaaaaan i am such a moron... did I really think that first spraying with a base color and after that make a stencil and spray a pattern with another color would be simple??? Really?? Yeah I did.. man was i wrong. What the he'll was I thinking? :(.. lol.. this will take some more time since it looks like shit now. Cut out patterns in a paper stencil... yeah right..

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
can't you post a picture? ..so that we can learn from your mistake ;)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
ah, don't worry, you can make it right again. You can always start fresh if necessary. My suggestion for more complicated stencils is to have them plotted out in a print shop, material that sticks to the plate would be ideal. Then just spray the ground color, put the stencil on, spray again and seal.

Or just go with one color :glee:

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
So sorry all for the lack of updates.. I got so dissapointed with the results and then I never got to the point of uploading them.

Here you are, and this is how to not do it :(.. I would remove the paint again if it wasnt so damn difficult.

Problem is that the metal CP plate is so thin that it was greatly deformed during the paint removal process, and I spent FOREVER to get it nice and straight again. :(

http://1drv.ms/1IZkBck

Why for the love of all neo geo things did I choose orange????

Well.. at least I did my best to give it a facelift. Even repainted the screws an all :(

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think it looks nice but the button colors clash with the orange, I'd put some black and white buttons on that thing. Maybe white for A and B and then black for C and D.

bytestorm

Armored Scrum Object
Mm.. I should have just made it white or black.. *sigh*
Well at least it feels awesome and handles like new :D

Did actually not change the stick.. the original is really nice when cleaned and added new silicone geese.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I think it's damn impressive that you were able to pull this off. Replacing the buttons and stick was no simple feat. Great work, seriously :D

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Great work!

I love my Hori Saturn Fighting Stick. Amazing quality for price.

15212373052_12e8aed34f_b.jpg

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Also, I couldn't find any pictures of the Neo Fighting stick's PCB but in my Hori PSX Fighting Stick, the PCB actually had headers for Saturn as well. That made it easy to solder on a controller lead and have a dual PSX/Saturn stick. I did a little writeup here. It's not likely the header is in there since the button layout is completely different, but it's worth looking into.

Hori_FSPS_SS_2.jpg
It kind of makes your eyes bleed a little

Last edited:

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
I bought my Hori Fight Stick II it was disgusting. The joystick was super loose and the metal plate was rusted and ugly. So I just replaced all the buttons and the joysticks, then sanded down the metal plate and had one of my painters give it a few coats of automotive paint. I sacrificed an extension cable and rewired it because the original cable had several broken wires. After all that, it's now one of my favorite sticks. It's practically brand new and well worth the time and energy. I recently bought an original Hori Fight Stick and it was perfect so I'm leaving that one stock.

18911_10153235894879736_1703470526504080224_n.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
^Awesome! Is that hammered paint or just metallic? Either way it looks great, a black paint finish would have been sick as well.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Very nice dude. That's the beauty about the Neo Hori stick, most of the surface area is the top and bottom plate so they are easy to replenish with some new looks. I have one as well that had a bad cord and the top plate is ugly as hell so somewhere down the line I'm gonna have it powder coated when I have time, maybe thrown in a JLF and some other special things.