MVS Board Leaking

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I was checking my MVS carts on the weekend to make sure they weren't boots and noticed one of them appears to be leaking.

One of the smaller chips(?) in the middle has what looks like a brown puddle around it that has dried onto the board.

The game is still working, so does anyone know what has happened here and will it start to affect the game? Is there anything I can do? Possibly clean it?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
:O Sounds like a blast city multi-sync chassis!

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I will take a pic tonight, I should have thought about that at the time.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
inside a cart? could also some flux that got too hot during production. As long as the boards are legit and working, everything should be fine. (If it bothers you: Wash the board.)

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I've seen things from inside the cab leak onto the motherboard (and cart - it gets in through the air vents).

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Here's a picture. I guess I can just clean it, but I wanted to make sure this wasn't something that will cause lasting damage.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
It doesn't look like leakage to me. I'd recommend just cleaning it off.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Looking flux like to me! Just clean it off with cotton buds and alcohol. If it works after that, don't worry about it.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Be careful with rubbing alcohol on the boards. It will dissolve the protective coating on them and create a sticky mess. Try distilled water and a q-tip first.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Put the board in the sink and dump some alcohol on the flux. Let is sit like 15 minutes to break down that old dry flux then scrub it with a toothbrush and degreaser type kitchen cleaner. Repeat if needed. Rinse it off and let it dry for a day. And don't be stingy with the alcohol
it is fine for pcbs and will not harm the solder mask.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
The industry uses a mix of Isopropyl & deionized water to pretreat boards before Solder Masking & cleanup afterwards.

Solder Mask is a tough compound and can handle most regular cleaning products. It's weakness is scraping and scratching.

Solder Mask removal is either:
- Grinding or milling it off.
- Blast beading it.
- or the use of heavy acids.

Isopropyl & Rubbing Alcohol are different products.

While Rubbing Alcohol contains a % of Isopropyl or Ethyl which are forms of denatured alcohol. You want the Highest Percentage of Isopropyl for electronics (90%+) which takes it out of the "Rubbing" category in the US.

Isopropyl is typically one of the main ingredients in most contact cleaner formulas as well. For example, DeoxIT uses Isopropyl.

Last edited:

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I don't think I've ever bought rubbing alcohol that wasn't just isopropyl and water... Just saying

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
denatured-alcohol.jpg

is not in RUBBING Alcohol
label.jpg

it cleans stuff and evaporates fast...people say there are better things to use, but its quick,cheap and easy for just general cleaning/disinfecting(I'm not talking about the countertop here_it does a good job on glass though)?

edit: i.e. whatever kind of rubbing alcohol you get at the pharm probably won't damage stuff (its safe for your skin...sooo). but if you go to the hardware store in the camping or paint sections you can probably come up with some alcohol that will destroy ''electronics'' among other things. some non flavored vodka would probably not leave any residue either?...don't put lotion on boards! unless you think cleaning them thoroughly is fun. ruplicax said: While Rubbing Alcohol contains a % of Isopropyl it also contains denatured alcohol and other ingredients. Which is why its not used the cleaning of Electronics, Contacts, and lens. and after I pmd him cuz he said too he said he was just gunna edit it to save confusion--well see about that now:eye::loco:sorry for

Last edited:

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Like Karou said but don't use anything under 90% alcohol.

Cheers.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
is not in RUBBING Alcohol

Denatured alcohol is used as a solvent and as fuel for alcohol burners and camping stoves. Because of the diversity of industrial uses for denatured alcohol, hundreds of additives and denaturing methods have been used. The main additive has traditionally been 10% methanol, giving rise to the term "methylated spirits". Other typical additives include isopropyl alcohol, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone, and denatonium.

label_0.jpg

Awaiting PM of randomness

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I don't think I've ever bought rubbing alcohol that wasn't just isopropyl and water... Just saying

10 years ago its was just called "Rubbing Alcohol" which was usually Ethyl. Now they have to state whether its Ethyl or Isopropyl on the front, not just the back under active ingredients.

When I state "Isopropyl" its 90% or higher. Beyond being a "Rubbing Alcohol".

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
But, but, but, it says for minor cuts, scrapes, and burns. That means it's rubbing alcohol.

And no one is butt hurt. Except maybe my cat. Cause his shit stank is horrendous.

Edit: Karou, I'm gonna go to cvs and get some of that 70%. The whole 'massaging' on the label should mean I'm good to 'rub' one out with it, yeah? I mean... It's that what ReplicaX was getting at with the jack off smiley?

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
But, but, but, it says for minor cuts, scrapes, and burns. That means it's rubbing alcohol.

And no one is butt hurt. Except maybe my cat. Cause his shit stank is horrendous.

Edit: Karou, I'm gonna go to cvs and get some of that 70%. The whole 'massaging' on the label should mean I'm good to 'rub' one out with it, yeah? I mean... It's that what ReplicaX was getting at with the jack off smiley?

I just wanted Karou PMs, all this snow is boring.