Is Mega Man Zero Collection Any Good?

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Been on a DS kick lately and saw this came out, is it worth grabbing? I have no prior experience with MMZ.

For bonus points how's Mega Man ZX Advent?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Yes. Games are the same with a few additional options. All MMZ games are pretty good.

I hated ZX Advent but maybe thats just me. Can't remember why, its been years since I last played it.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
ZX advent is really meh. The first ZX is worth playing.

jt4mtb

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
The MMZ collection is totally worth grabbing. The zero series as a whole is pretty fun and challenging.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Very worth getting. I'd stay away from ZX Advent, though. I couldn't stand it, never finished it.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
It is very good. I'm finally playing through it now and controls are smooth, gameplay is the same as the GBA versions, and its fun.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I dig Zero Collection and both ZX games.

I have every sidescrolling Mega Man ever released except MM Game Gear.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially when mavericks from past MMZ games randomly show up.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
It's a pretty cool collection. I'm surprised to see how cheap it is these days. Figured they wouldn't have made that many copies.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
It's a pretty cool collection. I'm surprised to see how cheap it is these days. Figured they wouldn't have made that many copies.

It got a reprint a couple years ago, just snagged a 'new' one for $17

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Note: The US GBA version had blood censorship. The DS version removed the censorship in the US.

Additional note: I attempted to play MMZ1, the game is hard as fuck.

Last edited:

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Note: The US GBA version had blood censorship. The DS version removed the censorship in the US.

Additional note: I attempted to play MMZ1, the game is hard as fuck.

I had no idea the original versions were censored. I'll have to pick up the DS game.

man9child

Rugal's Thug
The US DS collection is still censored. Unless there's an option to turn it off, but I just loaded up my file on Z1 and there's no blood when using the sword.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
There isn't. All non-japanese versions have white "blood".

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
MMZ 1-4 are all solid games. The collection adds an easy mode for all you pansies out there and there are plenty of unlockables as well. The zero series offered the same fun gameplay that made the X series so famous (with some slight differences). And it also really expanded on the story of the mega man universe.

I really like ZX series as well and was sad to see it end on such a cliff hanger. Its a shame capcom has really stopped caring about the MM franchise.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
The only problem with the MMZ Collection is that you are playing it on the DS instead of a backlight modded big GBA.
My thumbs ache already.

Other than that, it's great.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I have to agree, the orginal GBA is the comfiest handheld I've ever played. Too bad the screen sucked, even modded still sucks, I did the AB kit, sucked. If only you could install the GBA SP Ver. 2 screen on it, it would be heaven, the fact they didn't do this puts into question the engineering team's proficiency. They could have released it when they released the Micro, it would have sold real good.

Oh yeah back on topic. MMZ collection is awesome and the pixel transition was flawless.

I highly recommend Aliens Infestation and Thor, both wayforward games. Lot of fun, good controls, beautiful pixel art, they did an excellent job on these 2 titles. I played the bejesus out of them. I didn't loose any of my troops on Aliens, you don't get anything special for it sans the satisfaction of keeping everyone alive. Bachalo art FTMFW!

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
EG, there is a mod out there that lets you put the GBA sp backlit screen into the og gba. I've been wanting to try it, but I think like the SP better than the original design.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I have a NES GBA SP screen ver1. that I wanna swap with my GBA SP screen v2. Just 'cause the NES GBA SP looks so sweet. Now I'm gonna be on the look for a second GBA SP ver2 screen then 'cause I'm up for trying that out, sounds very exciting, thanks!

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
You can't swap the screen from an AGS-101 (backlit) with an AGS-001 (shitty front-lit). The flat-flex cable for the screen is different, and it needs the new processor to drive it.

You CAN, however, take the guts of an AGS-101 and put them in your sweet NES AGS-001 shell.

You can also take an AGS-101 screen and put it into the chunky GBA with an adaptor cable and a couple of soldered wires for the LED voltage and ground.
You just have get the right cable for your chunky GBA model.
GBA backlight mod.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yes, that's what I meant as far as the GBA SP goes, a total swap. As far as the original GBA, well I thank you for the advice, seems like it's more than I wanna chew on. I'm happy with the GBA SP, maybe some day I'll attempt it, maybe by then someone will be selling them knockoffs like the GB Color backlit model out there.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I have to agree, the orginal GBA is the comfiest handheld I've ever played. Too bad the screen sucked, even modded still sucks, I did the AB kit, sucked. If only you could install the GBA SP Ver. 2 screen on it, it would be heaven, the fact they didn't do this puts into question the engineering team's proficiency. They could have released it when they released the Micro, it would have sold real good.

Oh yeah back on topic. MMZ collection is awesome and the pixel transition was flawless.

I highly recommend Aliens Infestation and Thor, both wayforward games. Lot of fun, good controls, beautiful pixel art, they did an excellent job on these 2 titles. I played the bejesus out of them. I didn't loose any of my troops on Aliens, you don't get anything special for it sans the satisfaction of keeping everyone alive. Bachalo art FTMFW!

Thor a d aliens are such good games, surprisingly so. They are still relatively cheap, so snag them while you can

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I have a NES GBA SP screen ver1. that I wanna swap with my GBA SP screen v2. Just 'cause the NES GBA SP looks so sweet. Now I'm gonna be on the look for a second GBA SP ver2 screen then 'cause I'm up for trying that out, sounds very exciting, thanks!

I did that very thing

bKK9Ntul.jpg

Worth doing, now it's perfect. My phone camera doesn't do the screen justice.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
A thing of beauty. Oh I know that screen is boss, I played the shit out of mine.