New 3ds early adopters thread

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I got the new 3DS and I love the fuck out of it. Such a solid handheld, I have it for a different purpose than my Vita (I use the 3DS for upcoming/newer games and the Vita to emulate all my favs from the past mostly) but I like it more than my Vita simply because Monster Hunter 4U is fucking good as fuck, the new Pokemon games are killer, Star Fox, and fuckin translation of Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner Soul Hackers fuck yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh~

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I played luigi's mansion....then it sat in a drawer. Maybe if the stupid thing wasn't region locked. (I don't like having to hack/tinker)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I played luigi's mansion....then it sat in a drawer. Maybe if the stupid thing wasn't region locked. (I don't like having to hack/tinker)

what would you be playing if it wasnt region locked?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member

I don't blame you; I don't like to hack and tinker either.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
been loving Steamworld Heist

great RTS with self-aiming mechanics and a whacky cast of mechanical characters

their first game Steamworld Dig was great in its own right as well

was thinking of trying Final Fantasty Explorers next

read that it's like Monter Hunter on easy mode which is fine by me as those games always seemed like way too much of a time sink for me

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I never cared much for the 3DS XL, the thing is just too big and uncomfortable in my hands, and I've been waiting for Nintendo to start selling the regular New 3DS separately instead of being in a bundle. With Fire Emblem Fates released I gave up and just bought the Animal Crossing bundle. That thing is adorable, but I don't really care for the Happy Home Design games so I'll probably throw the code and faceplates up on ebay or something to offset the cost. I figure between selling that and selling my Zelda XL I won't have too much cost in the upgrade.

I haven't played it yet since I'm waiting for some screen protectors to come in, but just holding it in my hand it's already more comfortable. Seems like the perfect size without being too bulky.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm on the other end, I do not like the regular 3DS, I liked the Lite a lot so it's not the size, the sharp edges get to my middle finger while holding it after long sessions. Also I find the DS original, DSiXL and 3DSXL to have better D-pads.

I'm not pressed to get a "new" 3DSXL, maybe later but not really in need for now.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
IMO the original 3DS was kind of a piece of shit. Maybe it was because I had a launch unit, but the design seemed great but it had all kinds of shitty manufacturing problems. When the XL first came out and Gamestop offered a bunch of trade in credit I couldn't give it to them fast enough. The 3DSXL just isn't comfortable to me, although it was a huge improvement otherwise. I'm hoping this new unit has the nice middle ground, as it's bigger than the original but smaller than the XL.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The bundle ones aren't XL right? I reserved the new Pokémon bundle for my GF, I think it's the regular size, not XL.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
The bundle ones aren't XL right? I reserved the new Pok駑on bundle for my GF, I think it's the regular size, not XL.

There is the original 3ds, the "new" 3ds and the "new" 3ds XL. The one with the Pokémon edition is the "new" 3ds. It is slightly bigger then the original 3ds, with the better 3d and second thumb stick.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That's correct. In the US the smaller one has only been released as the Animal Crossing and the upcoming Pokemon bundles. I was going to get the Pokemon bundle until I realized the included games were just the old B&W Gameboy games on there, so I just went ahead with the other bundle since it was readily available locally, and that Pokemon one might be hard to come by if you didn't already preorder.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Best new reason to own a New 3DS;

12787086_10156485631245577_573573000_o.jpg

Glorious SNES goodness.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
yeah, just saw the news. ABOUT TIME.

Also have you seen the pics of New 3DS XL SFC model? Course it's japan only :annoyed:

mm0ebsdtv8hxdini1aig.jpg

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I'm still trying to find a good grip for my n3dsxl.

I had this one for my DSi XL and it was amazing. Wish I could find one just like it.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I'm still trying to find a good grip for my n3dsxl.

I had this one for my DSi XL and it was amazing. Wish I could find one just like it.

I find the n3dsxl pretty comfortable as is, not sure I would need the extra grip. Besides, kinda hurts the portability of the thing. My hands aren't that big though, not sure what kinda heat you're packing.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I don't think I have huge hands but they aren't little Asian ones. With my old DSi XL I would get hand cramps after playing by for a while, and even after a short while with games like Contra 4. I actually haven't had any problems yet with my n3dsxl, but I really miss the little kick stand thing my other one had. I thought it was a gimmicky at first but ended up being really awesome. I used it all the time for Etrian Odyssey when grinding exp and doing the auto movement thing (which is a feature I wish more jrpgs had!).

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Le me get this straight; You want a holding hand JRPG to hold your hand just a bit more by doing less than you already have been doing...I wonder, why even bother playing this game?! I'm genuinely curious, let me have it.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
What was hand holding about Etrian Odyssey 3? Manually walking around in circles to get into a battle isn't a skillful act.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Everything about JRPGs are a hand holding fest. You have yet to answer the question though but now I'm also confused about the second sentence, what is that about?

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I thought your hand holding thing was a reference to the Etrian Odyssey feature where you can draw a path on your map and have your group autowalk the path so you can get into encounters while paying, uh... less attention.

I just like [some] jrpg's and don't really care for the newer ones where you actually hack and slash. I don't really play that many games nowadays anyway, but you know.. to each his own.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Etrian Odyssey isn't really a JRPG in the traditional sense. It's a dungeon crawler and it's a great series.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I've been tempted still for the n3DS, as I love my current OG 3DS but am intrigued by the built in extra stick. I assume the Zelda Edition on Gamestop's website is not the Majora's Mask one as it looks like a different design.