New 3ds early adopters thread

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
The new xl has the face tracking 3d which is a huge plus for me, you dont have to lock your face into it straight on

The best feature about the N3DS. I couldn't even turn on the 3D on the old model without my eyes hurting.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I never had an issue with the 3D on the old model (or even the Virtual Boy) but the N3DS is noticeably better either way.

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
I can use the slider a little bit, too far and I get a lot of ghosting. My biggest problem is my hands move while I'm playing to the 3d would always blur. I just keep the slider off or just cracked on.

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
I haven't bought a new handheld in years but I got the chance to play the new 3ds the other day for a couple hours. Played that game Shovel Knight and really enjoyed it. Now I'm thinking about picking one up. I suppose I'm more likely to get some some good, new 2d games on there than any of the home systems. Right now the only handhelds I really use are the GBA sp, NGX and the AT Games Sega one.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
What are you thoughts on the standard size New 3DS vs New 3DS XL?
I have a New 3DS XL, which I got soon after launch and have to say that more and more I am thinking of selling it and getting the standard sized model. The large screen(s) are nice, but in terms of form factor I am finding it slightly too bulky but more importantly a bit too heavy for longer gaming sessions. After 20-30min I find that one can feel the weight of the machine to the point that its becoming a bit tiring.
Anybody with me on this?

famicommander

15 Year Member
The portability is an issue but the main reason I didn't want an XL is the pixel density on the screen. The smaller screen just makes everything sharper. My up-close eyesight is still very good and I prefer the small screen.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
The portability is an issue but the main reason I didn't want an XL is the pixel density on the screen. The smaller screen just makes everything sharper. My up-close eyesight is still very good and I prefer the small screen.

Can't say I noticed any pixilation related issues on the larger screen, but I find the point you made pretty interesting. I would imagine both the standard and XL version are the same resolution, which would imply that the XL has larger pixels (?). In terms of games development, would the standard model be the default / go to system which the developers would have in mind when developing the games?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Can't say I noticed any pixilation related issues on the larger screen, but I find the point you made pretty interesting. I would imagine both the standard and XL version are the same resolution, which would imply that the XL has larger pixels (?). In terms of games development, would the standard model be the default / go to system which the developers would have in mind when developing the games?

Yes, the pixels are much smaller on the smaller system.

I don't think that really makes a difference as far as development goes. The systems are identical except for physical features.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I noticed on Harvest Moon Tale of two towns that the 3d is rather unstable on that game. (Playing a N3DSXL).

I have a new xl coming from the original 3ds small blue launch model and I would not want to go back to the smaller screen. I love the fact it even upscales the original ds games to fit and find them more enjoyable now then i did on the smaller screens. I feel they made it as big as they could while keeping it comfortable, I keep mine in my cargo pants pocket whenever im out and doesnt bother me at all.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I've been holding out for a non-bundled New 3DS, but Walmart has the Animal Crossing bundle right now for $180. I went ahead and bit and also got the turquoise plates directly from Nintendo. Yay!

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I can see where you're at with the bulkiness of the N3DSXL, but the large screens are worth it. It weighs down your pockets quite a bit, but I deal with it.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
New 3DS bundle showed up today and it's great! 3D is so much better than the OG 3DS and the screen size is perfect. Build quality is definitely a step up too.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Anyone else play BOXBOY? Picked it up in the Black Friday sale and loving it. It's a easy-ish, side-scroller puzzle game from HAL Laboratory. There's zero 3D in it, but it's probably one of my favorite eShop purchases so far.

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
This very moment you can update to the latest firmware and install browserhax, and then menuhax. I recommend doing it now before they close the holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2lEtnNaPVU

You can still use eshop with this and also do things like play emulators.

I finally took the plunge and did this last night on my Zelda Between Worlds XL. What options does this open up now? Imports and emulators?

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I finally took the plunge and did this last night on my Zelda Between Worlds XL. What options does this open up now? Imports and emulators?

Yeah, you can boot import carts plus run homebrew like emulators. Having portal CPS2/SNK games with real buttons is awesome. I didn't see any videos on youtube showing CPS2 in action, so will try to make one sometime.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Damn but does it look classy. Wish I could take the plunge, but even if I could I don't know that I could justify it. I TRIED to like Bravely Default and just couldn't make it happen.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Damn but does it look classy. Wish I could take the plunge, but even if I could I don't know that I could justify it. I TRIED to like Bravely Default and just couldn't make it happen.

Indeed it does look good, but I can't justify a purchase of the SE. I liked BD enough, even after the game-breaking twist, to get BS on launch day. Hopefully BS doesn't suffer from the same thing that made me like BD less.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I refuse to buy anymore of their products. They are falling into the sega lineage now, releasing new hardware every year or so. Make one solid product like you used to Nintendo and I'll continue to buy. Good luck early adopters.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I refuse to buy anymore of their products. They are falling into the sega lineage now, releasing new hardware every year or so. Make one solid product like you used to Nintendo and I'll continue to buy. Good luck early adopters.

The "new" 3ds has been out for almost two years now. Nobody is exactly an "early adopter" anymore. Nintendo has been on a two year cycle with handheld upgrades. Unless you either really care about having the latest and greatest or the few exclusive games, there is no reason to upgrade.