New 3ds early adopters thread

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I enjoy the shit out of my New 3DS XL. I carry it with me and play games on my breaks at work. Lots of cool VC games, like the Marios, and River City Ransom. I wish they had more RPGs on VC though. And don't even get me started on the Streetpass games!

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I settled on the red Xenoblade faceplates. Cost me about 20 bucks shipped. Also got the Hori tempered glass screen protectors.

I'm so hyped. I was totally bummed when we didn't get the smaller model to begin with.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I passed on the New XL hoping that we'd see the regular size one, but I'm pretty disappointed that it's only in a bundle so far. I'll probably hold out a bit longer to see they unbundle it.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I passed on the New XL hoping that we'd see the regular size one, but I'm pretty disappointed that it's only in a bundle so far. I'll probably hold out a bit longer to see they unbundle it.

They probably will, but also im sure a bundle will happen for Christmas that il cave and get.

Ive been out of the loop on modern gaming. Is there a killer app on this thing yet that requires the additional horsepower? I hhave xenoblade on wii already

famicommander

15 Year Member
They probably will, but also im sure a bundle will happen for Christmas that il cave and get.

Ive been out of the loop on modern gaming. Is there a killer app on this thing yet that requires the additional horsepower? I hhave xenoblade on wii already
Xenoblade is the only one that absolutely requires the N3DS to run but there are other games that benefit significantly.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate runs and looks way better on the N3DS, and it also makes use of the extra stick and buttons.

Any game that worked with Circle Pad Pro works with the N3DS.

Smash 4 uses the c-stick. So do Moon Chronicles, FF Explorers, RE Revelations, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Kid Icarus Uprising, Metal Gear Solid 3, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Majora's Mask 3D and Codename STEAM. Hyrule Warriors only supports 3D on the New 3DS.

All games will load slightly faster and all will benefit from the much improved 3D. NFC games don't require extra hardware.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Does anybody have any good shmups or shmup-like games they'd recommend to play on a N3DS? I know the system isn't ideal for it, but I find myself wishing there were some good arcade ports on it for me to play on the go. I've got a PSP so I could easily use that, I'm just curious if the 3DS has anything worthwhile.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Does anybody have any good shmups or shmup-like games they'd recommend to play on a N3DS? I know the system isn't ideal for it, but I find myself wishing there were some good arcade ports on it for me to play on the go. I've got a PSP so I could easily use that, I'm just curious if the 3DS has anything worthwhile.

Try the streetpass game MiiForce. It's a bit easy to start out with, but gets tougher as you go on, and there are "achievements" in it. If you don't live in a populated area like NY, go to McDs and Best Buy (They have relay stations). Even in my parents podunk town of 8000, I get lots of tags.

juanjuan

World Soccer '96
I hear you. I know those faceplates are stupid expensive, as well, if bought alone.

It's not like the $20-40 more than I think it should be is really going to break the bank, I just wish the big N cut us a break once in a while.

I'll see if it's in store next week. I was going to pick up Happy Home Designer, anyway. It's a good excuse to grab the game and update my 3DS at the same time. Like you, I find the XL to be a pain. I miss my DS sized portable hardcore, and I too play mine regularly and take the XL on trips.

I'm dying for a smaller console and am glad Nintendo brought it over here, finally.

What are the three faceplates that come with the bundle? So far, I've only seen two Animal Crossing themed ones, but is there one that is just solid white? Also, although still unclear, is screen side of the console white with the Dreamcast looking buttons?

juanjuan

World Soccer '96
What are the three faceplates that come with the bundle? So far, I've only seen two Animal Crossing themed ones, but is there one that is just solid white? Also, although still unclear, is screen side of the console white with the Dreamcast looking buttons?

Oh, nevermind, just saw that it's two total faceplates, not two in addition to the regular one (making it three).

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Try the streetpass game MiiForce. It's a bit easy to start out with, but gets tougher as you go on, and there are "achievements" in it. If you don't live in a populated area like NY, go to McDs and Best Buy (They have relay stations). Even in my parents podunk town of 8000, I get lots of tags.

Whoop! I'm digging how it looks, thanks for the heads up man!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
I really like that Zelda face plate.

I kind of want to upgrade to the smaller one, but I've been using an XL since they released. Not sure how I'll do going back to the small screens. I'd really like the upgraded 3d, I usually have my slider off I always had locking my eyes into the 3d.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member

I kind of want to upgrade to the smaller one, but I've been using an XL since they released. Not sure how I'll do going back to the small screens. I'd really like the upgraded 3d, I usually have my slider off I always had locking my eyes into the 3d.
I considered it too, but I like the big screens.
It would be a lot easier to carry around, though.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I fucking hate it when Amazon uses USPS.

I have Prime. When I ordered it said I'd have it on release day (the 25th). Then I got an email saying it would be here today (the 29th). Well, the tracking number says it's still in fucking Phoenix. Why the fuck am I paying for two day shipping when I don't get shit for at least five days?

I never have this problem when they use UPS.

juanjuan

World Soccer '96

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener

StarFox is a great rail shooter-highly recommended. Kid Icarus is also largely a rail shooter, although the controls are a bit funky on that one. On the download store, look into Liberation Maiden and Nano Assault EX.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I fucking hate it when Amazon uses USPS.

I have Prime. When I ordered it said I'd have it on release day (the 25th). Then I got an email saying it would be here today (the 29th). Well, the tracking number says it's still in fucking Phoenix. Why the fuck am I paying for two day shipping when I don't get shit for at least five days?

I never have this problem when they use UPS.

Call them. They usually compensate you for the delay. It won't be much. Maybe $5 off your next order, but hey, it's something. I've been having the slow shipping issue a lot lately and the times it really ticks me off, and four to five days off would do it for me, then I'll call and complain. The support staff doesn't want to deal, so they just dole out credit to shut you up.

famicommander

15 Year Member

Have you played the DS shooters?

Geometry Wars Galaxies, Metal Slug 7, Contra IV, Bangai-O Spirits, Ketsui Death Label, Nanostray 1 and 2, Space Invaders Extreme 1-2, Big Bang Mini, etc.

For 3DS:
Starfox 64 3D, Kid Icarus Uprising, Pac Man and Galaga Dimensions (has Galaga, Galaga Legions, and Galaga Impact)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Have you played the DS shooters?

Geometry Wars Galaxies, Metal Slug 7, Contra IV, Bangai-O Spirits, Ketsui Death Label, Nanostray 1 and 2, Space Invaders Extreme 1-2, Big Bang Mini, etc.

For 3DS:
Starfox 64 3D, Kid Icarus Uprising, Pac Man and Galaga Dimensions (has Galaga, Galaga Legions, and Galaga Impact)

Ketsui: Death Label on the DS will make you a better shooter player. The game is great at teaching you how to see and move through bullet patterns. When you first start, and scrub hard with bombs, you don't think the game will ever be possible on the insane levels. After playing for a while, you can move through patterns with ease and laugh at the idea that you ever even had to bomb on this or that section. It's bullet-hell 101 and a Master's Class all rolled into one.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

You may consider that while the New 3ds does have a smaller screen than the xl, it is larger than the regular 3ds. I'm waiting until I see one in person, I might grab one.

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
Yeah, I really need to go to one of my buddies houses who own one and check it out in person. I've bought so many 3ds. I had a launch, sold that and bought the red XL when it launched, gave that to my wife and bought the zelda XL bundle. I haven't been happy with the zelda, the hinge is a little loose on it and somehow has visible scratches on the inside of the hinge.

I started with a 3ds at launch way back when with the blue one. I recently just bought the "new" xl to get into monster hunter and man have I been trying to rebuild my ds collection. I love this thing, I been on it every day now for a couple months. The new xl has the face tracking 3d which is a huge plus for me, you dont have to lock your face into it straight on