New 3ds early adopters thread

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Also getting c.a. 4-5h play time on my New 3DS XL. Not really bothering with sleep mode since the system boots up pretty quickly and can't really see added value of leaving it on especially if I dont play everyday and then when i do play find i got a dead battery.

That said I got the charging cradle today, so I will be testing it out for sleep mode. First impressions on the cradle are that the built quality for what is essentially a piece of plastic is solid, but a major disappointment is the lack of rubber feet - IMHO the cradle slides around a bit too much when putting in / taking out the system.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to get the ambassador new 3ds. I love it. Such an improvement on the original. The 3d is great and the wee extra stick actually works great. I'm probably going to keep my old ones as I tend to not part with my gaming stuff. can't wait for xenoblade next month and bravely second hopefully next year!

childsremix

Overtop Pathfinder
Also getting c.a. 4-5h play time on my New 3DS XL. Not really bothering with sleep mode since the system boots up pretty quickly and can't really see added value of leaving it on especially if I dont play everyday and then when i do play find i got a dead battery.

That said I got the charging cradle today, so I will be testing it out for sleep mode. First impressions on the cradle are that the built quality for what is essentially a piece of plastic is solid, but a major disappointment is the lack of rubber feet - IMHO the cradle slides around a bit too much when putting in / taking out the system.

Any chance you can post pics of the bottom and top of the cradle? I'm waiting for Nintendo to restock them so I can snag mine but I was planning to modify it so that I can use it with my Hori case.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Any chance you can post pics of the bottom and top of the cradle? I'm waiting for Nintendo to restock them so I can snag mine but I was planning to modify it so that I can use it with my Hori case.

Here you go:

2015-03-19 19.38.22.jpg

2015-03-19 19.38.41.jpg

childsremix

Overtop Pathfinder
Awesome thanks! Those 4 small holes have screws in them right? Does it look like it can be disassembled?

Last edited:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Awesome thanks! Those 4 small holes have screws in them right? Does it look like it can be disassembled?

Yeah, there are 4 Phillips head screws there. Haven't disassembled mine, but it looks like that if you remove the 4 screws you can take out the rectangular module where the power plug goes.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Also, get a DSi XL while you are at it.

I wanted to, after reading that they were basically the best way to play standard DS games rather than on the 3DS, but they wanted nearly as much as I paid for my New 3DSXL for one.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Couldn't resist anymore. With Xenoblade Chronicles 3D right around the corner I took the plunge and bought a New 3DS. So far the system's pretty awesome; the super-stable 3D works well (about a four inch give in any particular direction you move your head and the 3D vision still holds), and processor really helps with load times. My only gripes are the necessity to remove that backplate (phillips size #0 required) to get access to the memory card port and Nintendo's policy about allowing only one Wii U and one 3DS per Nintendo Network ID.

Guess I'll be trading in my old 3DS XL after all.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
That thread makes my bank account hurt.

You must have a small bank account because only a select few titles are up there in price. Generally tho the DS isn't a very exspensive system to buy games for at this time. If you can find something good at a low price then grab it now because years from now I'm sure the shit is gonna spike up once hipsters start getting in this shit also.

Last edited:

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
You must have a small bank account because only a select few titles are up there in price. Generally tho the DS isn't a very exspensive system to buy games for at this time. If you can find something good at a low price then grab it now because years from now I'm sure the shit is gonna spike up once hipsters start getting in this shit also.

It is flatlined at the moment because a guy just pulled out of a major deal and I am holding the bag for now. I still bought Knights In The Nightmare, though.

I have a Valkyrie Profile DS game I bought at Sam's Club for $12.88 and it seems to be spiking already.

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I love my 3DS, but hate how nothing ever goes on sale for the system. It seems first party Nintendo titles never go down, and only get more expensive when they go out of print. I also do not have a Target or Best Buy close to me, so the only stores that do run deals I am not able take advantage.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
+1. Dark Moon is a great game and probably the best looking 3DS game I've played.

Put in quite a few hours into this one now and my view is that it is definitely a notable game, however I wouldn't go as far as saying its a must have / A-list Nintendo title. IMO the restart points are pretty badly designed (one ends up having to repeat rather large chunks of the levels), some of the puzzles are not all that clear /logical to figure out, the music is pretty repetitive and annoying, as is that nutty professor dude. The gameplay is also rather choppy - too many cut scenes and annoying phone calls from the nutty professor which have to be answered. Also, out of the games i have this was the only 3DS game which didn't draw me straight in - I only started enjoying it after I was a few levels in - perhaps more an acquired taste.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Last edited:

SAKAMOSTRO

Rugal's Thug
Couldn't resist anymore. With Xenoblade Chronicles 3D right around the corner I took the plunge and bought a New 3DS. So far the system's pretty awesome; the super-stable 3D works well (about a four inch give in any particular direction you move your head and the 3D vision still holds), and processor really helps with load times. My only gripes are the necessity to remove that backplate (phillips size #0 required) to get access to the memory card port and Nintendo's policy about allowing only one Wii U and one 3DS per Nintendo Network ID.

Guess I'll be trading in my old 3DS XL after all.

Hope you are enjoying by now. If it should've been released in the beginning like this, but that's Nintendo for you!

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I don't have one yet but do plan on getting one by the end of this year.
I did buy the first version of the 3ds, and traded that in for a 3ds xl. But the new 3ds xl seems like a vast improvement over the old one. And since i can transfer over my ambassador reward games, it makes the decision that much easier.

I just wished it had more strategy games on that system. I keep saying that Firaxis should release a special edition version of xcom. Or they could even re-release xcom ufo defense and i would be happy with that.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I just preordered the regular size N3DS, which is finally coming to the US in an Animal Crossing bundle next week.

Glad I waited it out and didn't get the stupid XL.

Now to find some faceplates that aren't $30

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I just preordered the regular size N3DS, which is finally coming to the US in an Animal Crossing bundle next week.

Glad I waited it out and didn't get the stupid XL.

Now to find some faceplates that aren't $30

I want that version as well, but fuck me, Nintendo, why the $40 premium markup. They're selling the New 3DS for the price of a 3DS XL bundle. I know it has a couple Animal Crossing faceplates in it, a card and the game, but older non XL bundles were in the $180 range. Not sure why this one is $220.

Still want it, and happy it's a non XL model like you wouldn't believe. Having a physical game would probably make me less bitchy about the price, too. Oh well.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I don't care that it's more than the XL. To me, it's a better piece of hardware and also a huge upgrade over my launch 3DS, which still gets played 4-5 times a week.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I don't care that it's more than the XL. To me, it's a better piece of hardware and also a huge upgrade over my launch 3DS, which still gets played 4-5 times a week.

I hear you. I know those faceplates are stupid expensive, as well, if bought alone.

It's not like the $20-40 more than I think it should be is really going to break the bank, I just wish the big N cut us a break once in a while.

I'll see if it's in store next week. I was going to pick up Happy Home Designer, anyway. It's a good excuse to grab the game and update my 3DS at the same time. Like you, I find the XL to be a pain. I miss my DS sized portable hardcore, and I too play mine regularly and take the XL on trips.

I'm dying for a smaller console and am glad Nintendo brought it over here, finally.