New 3ds early adopters thread

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Does anybody know which games use amiibos on the new 3DS? Smash Bros. I hope.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Does anybody know which games use amiibos on the new 3DS? Smash Bros. I hope.

Smash Bros 3DS does use Amiibos now, thanks to the last update. So far it's the only game out on the 3DS that uses them. Codename: S.T.E.A.M. coming out soon will also use them. I imagine more will as the year goes on.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I pre-ordered my copies of Xenoblade Chronicles yesterday, but I'm still hoping for a bundle, although I'm pessimistic at this point. It's the most logical choice for a bundle since it will be the first game to require the new system, and yet, the logical choice is usually not the one taken...

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Does the New 3DS XL come with a memory card like the old ones did?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Does the New 3DS XL come with a memory card like the old ones did?

Yep, you get a 4 GB microSDHC card included. The card is now located underneath the battery cover instead of in a side slot like in the old 3DS XL.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I knew I wouldn't be able to resist for long...

Would be interested to read whats your take on the new model, given that you obviously are in a position to compare it to the older models.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Yep, you get a 4 GB microSDHC card included. The card is now located underneath the battery cover instead of in a side slot like in the old 3DS XL.

I saw a youtube review where the reviewer said that it's a pain in the ass to put in. In that true?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's not that difficult, but it is inconvenient. You have to actually open the system. I guess it is easy to lose micoSD's if there was an external slot.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I've installed a 64GB microSD card in mine, it wasn't that hard. The whole transfer thing is a joke though.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I've installed a 64GB microSD card in mine, it wasn't that hard. The whole transfer thing is a joke though.

I had a 16gb card I got for cheap on clearance a while back, so I used that. The transfer process was probably close to two and a halfhours. I know it would have gone faster if I had used the PC method, but that was still a ridiculous amount of time.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I just got the New 3DS last week. I didn't have an older model, so I didn't have to do the transfer. Loving it so far; the battery life has been pretty good and the 3D is way better than the older models, IMO. (I played my brother's old ones a lot.) The screens are bloody enormous--can't wait to get an art game or two! I got the red one, and I love how pleasantly deep the color is.

I had to go to two stores to get mine. Kmart isn't going to stock them in-store at all, and the local game shop's units were all reserved. Luckily, someone backed out, so I was able to get one about an hour after I checked in.

I tried out the Ultimate NES Remix without having researched it, and regretted it. It's way too goldfish-attention-span for me. I was hoping there'd be some full NES games on it, and I should've known Nintendo wouldn't offer a reasonably-priced collection of classic games. I returned it to the store the next day and got a couple used games with the store credit. I've been sinking time into the most recent Paper Mario game; it's got a lot of personality.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Went to 2 different Targets, and called a third which has a black one on reserve for tomorrow. The other 2 only had red, which I think looks ugly. Got a 32G card for $17 on amazon.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Would be interested to read whats your take on the new model, given that you obviously are in a position to compare it to the older models.

The most noticeable difference at the moment is the speed of the systems. Turning on the system or starting a game, there is a big difference in the amount of time it takes, or at least it feels that way. Also the 3D is obviously a lot better. I will have to try using the same app or game on 2 consoles side by side and see if I notice any other improvements.

Conker73

n00b
A really cool feature, that hasn't gotten that much attention, is that the browser on the New 3DS lets you play stereoscopic 3D videos on Youtube. Some om them give very good results :)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
A really cool feature, that hasn't gotten that much attention, is that the browser on the New 3DS lets you play stereoscopic 3D videos on Youtube. Some om them give very good results :)

any links?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member

Damn. Didn't know that. That's cool. Doing the transfer process now, but I'm thoroughly impressed with the system. It does everything right, the 3D is better, the power comsumption seems to be less, you get the extra analog pad, the buttons for home, select and start are in a good place, and the stylus is within better reach. Its nice that it uses Amiibos too.

Boy, that transfer process is a bunch of bullshit. I had to page through like 30 pages to start it. And I had to reset my Nintendo Club password.

Yes, there are some good examples here:
http://3dn3d.com

Bookmarked.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I've been sinking time into the most recent Paper Mario game; it's got a lot of personality.

I played it about 1/2 way and got stuck. I liked the GC one better. I didn't like the battle system in it and the puzzles were hard.

Boat200

New Challenger
Recommendation for the 1st game to pick up for the New 3DS? I know there's a huge backlog of DS titles that also await me. I've only really gone as far as the GBA which is my go-to handheld. Piddled with a friend's Vita for awhile, but got annoyed that many of the good titles were download only.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Recommendation for the 1st game to pick up for the New 3DS? I know there's a huge backlog of DS titles that also await me. I've only really gone as far as the GBA which is my go-to handheld. Piddled with a friend's Vita for awhile, but got annoyed that many of the good titles were download only.

If you're into JRPGs, and have a lot of time to play games, Bravely Default and Fantasy Life are excellent. Otherwise, Super Smash Bros. is content-rich and very fun, albeit hard to see on a small screen. Mario Kart 7 is great too.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Just FYI : It fits in a pocket pretty well if you're wearing baggy pants. In jens, it barely fits.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member

Just got my new 3DS XL last week and am loving it. Right now I'm playing through Bravely Default and am about 14 hours into it and it's fantastic. My other most played game would be Mario Kart 7 -- I've got all the courses unlocked and have had fun with multiplayer. Online play is really cool but I randomly get disconnected in the middle of a race sometimes.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I still can't believe I'm the only person that recommended Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon in that thread... Actually, I hardly hear anyone talk about it when it comes to lists of best 3DS games, but it really is a gem. I think a lot of people slept on that one, but seriously, check it out. That game just oozes style, and all of the little old school Nintendo touches that you seldom see these days.