New 3ds early adopters thread

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
What games have you tried? I am sure there is something that will scratch that itch.

Also, MM for 3DS is hardly a "port". Graphical overhauls, improved sound, streamlined bomber's notebook, dual stick play, and many many smaller changes that altered the gameplay to a much more manageable pace make this more in the lines of a "remake".

Nintendo has leaned on Zelda to sell its 3DS hardware. OoT came out three months after the 3DS launched and boosted the sales of the then-fledgling system until stronger titles such as SM3DL and Starfox 64 3D came out. I am sure there is more on the horizon, however your sentiments against nintendo are being more and more echoed by the populace in general these days it seems.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm a proper Ninty fan.
Even now I play my GBA SP more than my 3DSXL.
I was on Ninty's "love" list in the Uk and when I couldn't make the launch party for the SP in london, Cake media sent me a free one!
I had a vip pass for the Shigsy event at Virgin and still have a bunch of the super rare press cds that they used to send me.
I love nintendo!

I just think that they've really let us down with the lack of innovative titles to test the hardware of the 3DS.
Ummm, what have I bought (3DS)....
OK:
Super mario 3D Land (good)
Battleship (ok)
The 2 Resi Games (good)
Luigi's Mansion (ok)
Zelda Link Between (ok)
Ghost Recon Shadow Wars (ok)
Steel Diver (fun: Periscope missions!!)

And for my mrs (so available to me as well)
Fantasy Life (ok)
Tomadachi (not really my bag)
Pac Man Ghostly (ok, but not what I'm after)
DKR (ok, but not what I'm after)
Animal Crossing (good)
Rayman and Rabids family Pack (looks quite good!)

I'm desperate for something with a bit of atmosphere that doesn't require concert pianist dexterity and 100% arcade concentration. Not an update of the hardware!
Oh, and something that avoids fisher-price graphics if possible!
A decent FPS would be a start! A remade Alien trilogy would do!
And if it's just download then it's pretty much invisible to me.

I still have my N64......
In fact I have several because of the revision problems etc.
I've kept about 60 games and a box of controllers...
I do like the N64!
Lylat Wars (Starfox 64) is one of my favs.
But like Majora's mask, how different does it have to be to warrant me buying it again?
(Yeah I know, I've bought the Zelda games loads of times already. Like a compulsive obsessive!)

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Please don't get me wrong. I'm a proper Ninty fan.
Even now I play my GBA SP more than my 3DSXL.
I was on Ninty's "love" list in the Uk and when I couldn't make the launch party for the SP in london, Cake media sent me a free one!
I had a vip pass for the Shigsy event at Virgin and still have a bunch of the super rare press cds that they used to send me.
I love nintendo!

I just think that they've really let us down with the lack of innovative titles to test the hardware of the 3DS.
Ummm, what have I bought (3DS)....
OK:
Super mario 3D Land (good)
Battleship (ok)
The 2 Resi Games (good)
Luigi's Mansion (ok)
Zelda Link Between (ok)
Ghost Recon Shadow Wars (ok)
Steel Diver (fun: Periscope missions!!)

And for my mrs (so available to me as well)
Fantasy Life (ok)
Tomadachi (not really my bag)
Pac Man Ghostly (ok, but not what I'm after)
DKR (ok, but not what I'm after)
Animal Crossing (good)
Rayman and Rabids family Pack (looks quite good!)

I'm desperate for something with a bit of atmosphere that doesn't require concert pianist dexterity and 100% arcade concentration. Not an update of the hardware!
Oh, and something that avoids fisher-price graphics if possible!
A decent FPS would be a start! A remade Alien trilogy would do!
And if it's just download then it's pretty much invisible to me.

I still have my N64......
In fact I have several because of the revision problems etc.
I've kept about 60 games and a box of controllers...
I do like the N64!
Lylat Wars (Starfox 64) is one of my favs.
But like Majora's mask, how different does it have to be to warrant me buying it again?
(Yeah I know, I've bought the Zelda games loads of times already. Like a compulsive obsessive!)

Lol I know how you feel. I'm playing the game now and it just feels smoother.

If you can, there is some real goodness missing from your list.

Zero Escape, Fire Emblem Awakening, Cave Story 3D, Theatrhythm. Check em out , you may find something you like!

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,

Zero Escape, Fire Emblem Awakening, Cave Story 3D, Theatrhythm. Check em out , you may find something you like!

I'm off to check them out now :)

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Forget about the 3D version of Cave Story, it's crap. Buy the 2D one instead, you'll be glad you did.

Fire Emblem is definitely a must buy imo.

Last edited:

EtotheNGSPD

Mr. Big's Thug
Zero Escape, Fire Emblem Awakening,
If MS buys these two games, he can kiss his social life good bye.
Zero Escape is a very long and addictive game if you want to see all the different endings, and in Fire Emblem Awakening once you get into the class system or start with the couple/pairing system, or you are trying to pass on certain skills to your children (I'm looking at you, Galeforce) you are gonna forget about your friends and family for a couple of weeks. Both are great games tho. Definitely a must have for the 3ds.

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I'm off to check them out now :)

Bravely Default, Theatrhythm, Link between Worlds, wtf Sega Arcade Classics with badass ports of Afterburner II, Space Harrier, & Shinobi III, & a lot of others I could list. The system has been amazingly good once a lot of killer titles finally came out for it despite it's rough launch years ago.

If we're comparing things, The Vita while still a nice system has only a few gems of titles compared to Nintendo's handheld. This new system which you've overlooked is now able to play Nintendo Wii games considering it's running Xenoblade Chronicles perfectly compared to the Wii Version.

I don't know if you ever played Xenoblade before but this game is fucking massive for a single player RPG.

Last edited:

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Bravely Default, Theatrhythm, Link between Worlds, wtf Sega Arcade Classics with badass ports of Afterburner II, Space Harrier, & Shinobi III, & a lot of others I could list. The system has been amazingly good once a lot of killer titles finally came out for it despite it's rough launch years ago.

If we're comparing things, The Vita while still a nice system has only a few gems of titles compared to Nintendo's handheld. This new system which you've overlooked is now able to play Nintendo Wii games considering it's running Xenoblade Chronicles perfectly compared to the Wii Version.

I don't know if you ever played Xenoblade before but this game is fucking massive for a single player RPG.

Hi Bonus,

Bravely default looks good, but I've never been a huge fan of the Square/Enix rgps and I crave something a bit darker tbh.
Theatrhythm is a type of game I'm not really into, based around games I never liked anyway. So that's not really one for me.
The Sega classics are a well trodden path... think I've still got them on the PS2? I don't want to just endlessly keep buying ports of old games on new systems. I want games that stretch the system and as I've said, I don't want the coin-op experience. I'm looking for something more relaxed.

Zelda (link between), is in my list above. I like it...... But Ocarina is my fave Zelda game and I would have preferred a new Zelda game like Ocarina/Majora or Windwaker. But not just a port, especially of the two that were already ported to the GC.
I guess that my fanboyism would have made me buy them if they'd put them both on one cart, but single releases and especially with such fanfare feels like a lazy cash-in to me.

My objection to the latest revision of the system isn't based on it's spec. I'm sure it's an excellent machine.
When is Xenoblade being released on it? I agree it looks good!
I also doubt that it's release schedule will be any more inspiring than the 3DS has been so far.

I remember people saying that the 3DS could handle NGC games. I remember talk of lots of good N64 ports on these systems right back to the Mario64 port on the original DS.

For me the problem is that Ninty seem content to play it safe and aren't focusing in areas that interest me.

The 3rd party games don't seem to be happening.
The only 3rd party 3DS games that have really given me hope for the system are the Resi games.
As soon as I saw Alien Isolation on the schedules I was hoping it would get a 3DS version. But like so many others.... :(

What I'd have wanted on the 3DS was some decent Strat games, some first person shooters and some proper 1st party sequels that use the systems full potential.

An Eternal Darkness game would have been amazing!
Pikmin was cancelled!
A proper 3D advance wars.
Where's Samus?

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,

Just been looking at Zero Escape! Would you need to play the previous game first?
I've not noticed it before.
Not even sure if it's out in the UK, will have to check.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Just been looking at Zero Escape! Would you need to play the previous game first?
I've not noticed it before.
Not even sure if it's out in the UK, will have to check.

No, the game does a good job of filling in the story gaps. My brother didn't play the first one and he played ZE on Vira and went for the platinum trophy.

That being said, if you can track the first one down, by all means play it. One of the best stories on the DS.

Reminds me, has anyone tried playing DS games on the new 3DS? Do they still look iffy compared to the original 3DS backward compatibility?

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
My objection to the latest revision of the system isn't based on it's spec. I'm sure it's an excellent machine.
When is Xenoblade being released on it? I agree it looks good!
I also doubt that it's release schedule will be any more inspiring than the 3DS has been so far.

April this year is what it's set for.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Picked up a New 3DS XL in Metallic Blue over the weekend and so far I am very impressed both with the system and the games. So far I have:
- Super Mario 3D Land
- Zelda - Link Between Worlds
- Pilotwings Resort
An often mentioned downer is the lack of any real third party support, but with the quality of the Nintendo titles available and having other systems for the usual third party generic drivel I for one am not concerned. I bought the system to play Nintendo titles - period.
Also, dunno about US, but in Europe Nintendo's approach to online gaming and also the loyalty program seems to be backwards. Even the newer titles rarely seem to have online play and as for the loyalty program here scratch cards are offered in each title, you register the games on Club Nintendo website to get stars (points) which you can then exchange for a Nintendo Points Card - only to find out that that these are useless on the 3DS - doh!
But not to worry, one can always keep collecting to get some severly overpriced 'goodies' like festive Nintendo wrapping paper or a Super Mario hat... :mad_2:

PS. bit disappointed not to get a proper printed instructions manual with Zelda - just a lousy inlay card saying 'electronic manual included'. Was expecting a nice manual and also some additional goodies e.g. a map of Hyrule like with the SNES Zelda LTTP.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm so close to buying one, I just don't know if it's really worth buying a 3rd revision of the same console. I bought both the 3DS and XL when they came out, so have already spent over £300 on 3DS hardware. Do I really want to add another £150?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I'm so close to buying one, I just don't know if it's really worth buying a 3rd revision of the same console. I bought both the 3DS and XL when they came out, so have already spent over £300 on 3DS hardware. Do I really want to add another £150?

Since it seems you enjoy the system and games I would say it is. That said I would seriously consider offloading the earlier models or maybe swapping them for other gaming stuff to somewhat lessen the cost of upgrading to the latest model.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I personally think DS games look fine on my 3DS XL. The resolution is fine, and this is coming from someone who played these before on a regular DS Lite, non-XL, teeny screen. :D I still play a lot of the older games on the DS Lite, simply because I have a ton of games on an old Acekard, but I've been replaying some on my 3DS lately and really don't think they look any worse for it.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Since it seems you enjoy the system and games I would say it is. That said I would seriously consider offloading the earlier models or maybe swapping them for other gaming stuff to somewhat lessen the cost of upgrading to the latest model.

Agreed. Unless you have some special editions you adore, I'd just dump at least one of those for the newer model. We only have the XL version over here, which kind of stinks. I find the XL too big for just about anything, but playing at home. If I'm traveling, I far prefer the size of my old DS Lite. So, I wanted to get a New 3DS... So... So bad. Especially with all the faceplates and fun times Nintendo has planned for it. So, for me, I didn't care so much about buying a 3DS XL and getting a New 3DS. Nintendo just said, fuck you America. We want to give you choices... and by choices we mean we want to make sure you still buy every New 3DS XL Limited Edition we pump out. Choices!

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I personally think DS games look fine on my 3DS XL. The resolution is fine, and this is coming from someone who played these before on a regular DS Lite, non-XL, teeny screen. :D I still play a lot of the older games on the DS Lite, simply because I have a ton of games on an old Acekard, but I've been replaying some on my 3DS lately and really don't think they look any worse for it.

+1 to all of this. I could take pics of some DS games running on the new 3dsxl, but my phone wouldn't really do it justice. They do look fine, though!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
No, the game does a good job of filling in the story gaps. My brother didn't play the first one and he played ZE on Vira and went for the platinum trophy.

That being said, if you can track the first one down, by all means play it. One of the best stories on the DS.

Reminds me, has anyone tried playing DS games on the new 3DS? Do they still look iffy compared to the original 3DS backward compatibility?

I played the shit out of 9,9,9, but I'll be honest with you, I've stayed away from Zero Escape because of the horrid save corrupt bug in the 3DS version. If you have a Vita, I'd say get it for that way before considering the 3DS game. The bug is real, and it seems to hit a huge number of people. You can limit it by never saving in a puzzle, but then... Sometimes you'll want to save in a puzzle room. There's only one save file on the cart, and you need to keep building off the same save to see all of the endings and unlock the full story, so this save corruption problem is basically a deal breaker for me.

I know it fixed a lot of the problems 9,9,9 had with being overly repetitious at times. I saw just about every ending in 9,9,9 but I admit sometimes I was jamming on the buttons to skip story cut scenes I'd already seen a dozen times. That, and some of the writing is painfully bad, but the story is good, so it's a fair trade ;)

Main point: If you can play Zero Escape on the Vita, play it there since you won't have to even worry about that save corrupt bug of the 3DS version. If you can't... maybe pick up 9,9,9 instead first on the cheap and see if you like the game's format either way.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I played the shit out of 9,9,9, but I'll be honest with you, I've stayed away from Zero Escape because of the horrid save corrupt bug in the 3DS version. If you have a Vita, I'd say get it for that way before considering the 3DS game. The bug is real, and it seems to hit a huge number of people. You can limit it by never saving in a puzzle, but then... Sometimes you'll want to save in a puzzle room. There's only one save file on the cart, and you need to keep building off the same save to see all of the endings and unlock the full story, so this save corruption problem is basically a deal breaker for me.

I know it fixed a lot of the problems 9,9,9 had with being overly repetitious at times. I saw just about every ending in 9,9,9 but I admit sometimes I was jamming on the buttons to skip story cut scenes I'd already seen a dozen times. That, and some of the writing is painfully bad, but the story is good, so it's a fair trade ;)

Main point: If you can play Zero Escape on the Vita, play it there since you won't have to even worry about that save corrupt bug of the 3DS version. If you can't... maybe pick up 9,9,9 instead first on the cheap and see if you like the game's format either way.

I honestly didn't even know the 3DS version had that bug. I never experienced my data being corrupted, but then again I don't remember saving in a puzzle room since it's been quite some time since I played the game. Thanks for sharing that, I'll be more careful in subsequent playthroughs

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
In the 3DSXL, it kinda sucks, IMO.

Too dependent on viewing angle. I had to dork out and get the Zelda one, couldn't wait just one more generation ...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I just accidentally turned off the New 3DS thanks the odd position of the power button. This is not the first DS design to poorly place the power button.
I was in the middle of a Fire Emblem battle when the sleep screen came on, and then it turned off. Very cute.... very.

The first time it was sitting on the couch and I think my belt bumped the button. I thought it was just a random glitch.
The next time I was on the elliptical at home. I learned the 3ds can't be rested on anything because you will likely hit the power button.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I just accidentally turned off the New 3DS thanks the odd position of the power button. This is not the first DS design to poorly place the power button.
I was in the middle of a Fire Emblem battle when the sleep screen came on, and then it turned off. Very cute.... very.

The first time it was sitting on the couch and I think my belt bumped the button. I thought it was just a random glitch.
The next time I was on the elliptical at home. I learned the 3ds can't be rested on anything because you will likely hit the power button.

I did that a few times when I first got my 3DS XL as well. Sucks to hear it's even easier to do now on the New 3DS XL :( Thing I do a lot on the older 3DS is hit that damn home button. At least that's only a temp thing, unless you're also reaching for the X button at the same time :( :(