New 3ds early adopters thread

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Is it like Knights in the Nightmare?

No. You basically create a party of 6 adventurers (tons of classes to choose from), and then you go down into a dungeon and grind monsters a lot. The story is pretty minimal, but there is a ton of variety because of party composition, crafting items, etc. If you enjoy very grindy rpg's it's great. The older games have virtually no animation, all monsters and characters are just single frame sprites, where I think with the newer ones like IV and the Untold games actually use 3D models for enemies so they do move.

The touch screen is used to display a grid for your map. It automatically fills in as you explore, but you have to go back and draw the lines for the walls, mark secret passages, etc.

One thing I wish they would have added was a play timer. They don't want you to see how much of your life you wasted grinding away enemies.

ggallegos1 said:
I've been tempted still for the n3DS, as I love my current OG 3DS but am intrigued by the built in extra stick. I assume the Zelda Edition on Gamestop's website is not the Majora's Mask one as it looks like a different design.

I think the extra stick really sucks. It's annoying to use with, what I consider to be, my normal white male sized thumb. There are mods people do online that make it much better, though. It just isn't comfortable to use. With that said, I never even considered getting a 3DS until I played with my friend's n3DS. Face tracking was THE selling point for me. It just works so well.

Last edited:

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Face tracking was THE selling point for me. It just works so well.

+1 this. Cus of eye tracking, the 3D is a million times better. You don't have to hold still the whole time just to keep the 3d perspective.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
FYI, I think it's tomorrow that Earthbound hits the VC on the New 3DS.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I got the pokemon bundle n3ds for my gf. I should try the new face tracking, didn't even cross my mind. If worth it, i'll get one but xl version.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, it actually works on the new 3DS, although I rarely use it. I mostly just use it on the Sega 3D classics.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I never touched the 3d settings on my old 3DS, it gave headaches worse than the Virtual Boy. On the new 3DS though I never turn it off, it's that good. Night and day difference with the face tracking.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
+1 this. Cus of eye tracking, the 3D is a million times better. You don't have to hold still the whole time just to keep the 3d perspective.

No. You basically create a party of 6 adventurers (tons of classes to choose from), and then you go down into a dungeon and grind monsters a lot. The story is pretty minimal, but there is a ton of variety because of party composition, crafting items, etc. If you enjoy very grindy rpg's it's great. The older games have virtually no animation, all monsters and characters are just single frame sprites, where I think with the newer ones like IV and the Untold games actually use 3D models for enemies so they do move.

The touch screen is used to display a grid for your map. It automatically fills in as you explore, but you have to go back and draw the lines for the walls, mark secret passages, etc.

One thing I wish they would have added was a play timer. They don't want you to see how much of your life you wasted grinding away enemies.

Yea, face tracking is alot better on the Sega 3D Classics, but on the game I'm currently working on, there's a ton of ghosting, even on the N3DSXL. I couldn't get into the Etrain Odyssey games, a little grindy for my taste, and I kept getting stuck not knowing what to do to advance the story.

I think the extra stick really sucks. It's annoying to use with, what I consider to be, my normal white male sized thumb. There are mods people do online that make it much better, though. It just isn't comfortable to use. With that said, I never even considered getting a 3DS until I played with my friend's n3DS. Face tracking was THE selling point for me. It just works so well.

FYI, I think it's tomorrow that Earthbound hits the VC on the New 3DS.

One thing I don't like about the extra stick is that there is no feedback to tell that you're using it.
Really? I'll probably pick it up eventually as there's a dearth of RPGs on the N3DS.

Last edited:

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I think I'm gonna cave in and buy a New 3DS. I was one of the early adopters who got boned when the 3DS XL came out a few months later, but I just tried the new one and holy balls is the 3D about a bajillion times better. I just turn it off with my current XL.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
N3DS is definitely tits. I was picky and waited for the normal size to get released here in the US. I rarely turned the 3D off on my OG, but the face tracking is so much better. Especially when you're hands are shaking from an intense gaming session.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I never cared much for the 3DS XL, the thing is just too big and uncomfortable in my hands, and I've been waiting for Nintendo to start selling the regular New 3DS separately instead of being in a bundle. With Fire Emblem Fates released I gave up and just bought the Animal Crossing bundle. That thing is adorable, but I don't really care for the Happy Home Design games so I'll probably throw the code and faceplates up on ebay or something to offset the cost. I figure between selling that and selling my Zelda XL I won't have too much cost in the upgrade.

I recently sold my New 3DS XL precisely for the reason you mentioned - its was uncomfortable to use for any prolonged period of time. For me the problem was partly to do with its size but more so with its weight - found my hands going numb after c.a. 20 minutes of play.
Also I was getting a bit fed up with how locked down the device was - I had Retroarch installed which was pretty neat, but that meant using the eShop became problematic, since it wanted to force a firmware upgrade. Supposedly some workarounds exists but couldn't really be bothered to get into that.
Also why does it have to be region locked? Instead of dicking around they should have followed in the original GB footsteps and made it region free.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Weeks ago I sold my New 3DS XL too, got fed up with using it and really at the heart of it NOT using it. It wasn't my fault, it's squarely on Nintendo selling a lie since they made nothing really for it that uses the damn thing. You got a couple titles that run better among physical releases (Smash and Hyrule) and one Wii port (Xenoblade) which I did own on there and not Wii and it ended up being a dragged out boring slog I stopped 30ish hours into. A couple weeks earlier I hit this out of the county yard sale at a pretty wealth home and they threw all these old (and not so old) handheld Nintendo devices out there from the DS and 3DS line, all models and a stack of random games for it, GBa and a few Wii/GC things too. I scooped up what I traded out my New3DS for, a red 3DS XL and it only set me back $30 with the charger and a dozen games and it was spotless. I turned around and sold off my barely used New3DS XL complete in the box still for $150 and don't regret it one bit. I never enjoyed the 3D depth much, sure the head tracking made it more interesting but it was a gimmick like the movies which I got over. It had an added weight to it even over the 3DS XL so I got that numb arm/elbow thing going too if I held/sat with it certain ways which was stupid. I've put more time on the 3DS XL than the New one this year, won't take long to surpass that over all.

Oddly that find had some DS games in it and I kept a couple, got me to buy (not collect) for DS again on specific games I'd like to tool around with so it was an all around win. I'm sorry I ever wasted time on the New 3DS XL, but at least that screw up was remedied unlike that atrocity last gen with the DSi which started their rampaging hard on for region locking their systems as it was so so stupid removing the GBA/slot support on that one.

_2xs

War Room Troll
Hmm, I dont understand why you traded it back to the old model.

I got 3 types of 3DS. The 1st release, a Pikachu XL Edition and now a normal new 3DS.

The new 3DS outstands all others in screenquality, doesnt matter if you look at 2D or 3D. But 3D rocks, I really use it often. The big minus point is the software. In germany we got only 1 game (Xenoblade) so far. I doubt, there will be more till the release of the NX in 03/17. Also Regionlock sucks. I use my 1st 3DS to play my japanese games now.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Because I had no value in it. They decided to fuck people like they did with the DSi and make a more powerful system that you support with less games than fingers on a hand which is straight up wrong. I knew what I had into things, and I figured why not sell it and lose nothing. I got that New3DSXL when it came out, but had sold my 3DSXL as it was CIB for such a good price the 'New' only cost me $60 in the end. By rolling over past systems and price into them I've always come out even or slightly ahead and it was just going to waste. I saw no point in keeping something I'd get nothing out of and preferred the style of the 3DSXL itself so why not let it go to someone who will value it?

I didn't see any improvement in the screen, if you did, good for you. The improvement on the head/face tracking to stabilize the 3D was fantastic but since I rarely used it it was a non-factor to me. To me it's about the games, other than Xenoblade which I didn't have on Wii, it has nothing. I know Hyrule Warriors is sketchy on 3DS but I don't intend to ever pick it up and Smash Bros was a damn snore since they really only sell that now for online players which I'm not so I sold that off. Nothing I own or may own in the future I'm aware of will ever get any benefit. And as you said NX is coming, so I got out before the bottom (price) dropped out on it.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Decided to get some new face plates after having the same teal ones since I got my N3DS:

zVxh39F.jpg

Which match my other shit pretty well:

brTK2VA.jpg

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Decided to get some new face plates after having the same teal ones since I got my N3DS:

zVxh39F.jpg

Which match my other shit pretty well:

brTK2VA.jpg

The Neon Pink in Green looks pretty rad. Not going to change my case since it's brand new but nice to have the option, where did you buy them?

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
So what options are out ther for new 3ds consoles that aren't the xl Edition? I know there was an animal crossing Edition...what others are there? And what is the MSRP on them, I have a feeling any special edition ones are gonna be subject to a significant flipper tax :(

Yoshi

20 Year Member
There was the AC one, a Mario 3D Land bundle, a Pokemon anniversary bundle, and the two Black Friday versions (black and white). They're all way gone from retail, so you're likely to pay some degree of "flipper tax" or get a refurb straight from Nintendo.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
There was the AC one, a Mario 3D Land bundle, a Pokemon anniversary bundle, and the two Black Friday versions (black and white). They're all way gone from retail, so you're likely to pay some degree of "flipper tax" or get a refurb straight from Nintendo.

Thanks for the info. Crazy that they Nintendo doesn't offer some standard one in regular stock. It's a good idea to check Nintendo's refurbished though, thanks!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
The refurb from them is the best savings pretty much as you still get a like new system, new parts if any needed switching inside, clean screens, and the new 1yr warranty with it too as a good savings.

neomeo

New Challenger
Congratulations on your 3ds. Unfortunately there are different displays for the 3ds. It’s basically a lottery.