New 3ds early adopters thread

Boat200

New Challenger
Great, thanks for the recommendations. (Also the link to the other thread on the topic). I'll post up my thoughts on the New 3DS (non-xl) as soon as I've had some time with it. Initial thoughts on the physical build- quality superb, love the size, style of the buttons, etc. Really impressed

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Guys, what do you make of the official charging cradle? Worth getting in your view or rather just a redundant gizmo?

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I still can't believe I'm the only person that recommended Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon in that thread... Actually, I hardly hear anyone talk about it when it comes to lists of best 3DS games, but it really is a gem. I think a lot of people slept on that one, but seriously, check it out. That game just oozes style, and all of the little old school Nintendo touches that you seldom see these days.

+1. Dark Moon is a great game and probably the best looking 3DS game I've played.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Guys, what do you make of the official charging cradle? Worth getting in your view or rather just a redundant gizmo?

I think it's a reduntant gizmo. Strickly a luxury item. I don't see why they included it initially, because none of the old system had anything like that.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I will probably end up getting the charging cradle. I bought a second power adapter to leave at work and the cradle would be a bit nicer for the desk.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I will probably end up getting the charging cradle. I bought a second power adapter to leave at work and the cradle would be a bit nicer for the desk.

Looked at this some more, I guess the benefits of the cradle are:
- a smaller footprint when charging the unit on your desk, since it goes in vertically
- easiier than plugging in that small plug and no hassles associated with the plug end falling down behind your desk / table when not charging
- unit is always charged ready for use
- can use sleep mode istead of turning on / off

Obviously not killer features, but I am starting to lean towards getting one.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Has it been confirmed that if Xenoblade 3D will have any amiibo functionality?

Also, what do you guys think about Codename Steam? I tried the demo and wasn't too crazy about...but I think its a hard game to appreciate in a demo. Plus, I heard its a more playable/enjoyable on the New 3DS (I haven't upgraded yet).

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I wasn't a fan either. I love advance wars (same developer) and although I've only played the Fire Emblem demo I like the advance wars combat system so I liked Fire Emblem as well, maybe one day I'll get it but I'm just happy with advance wars. I don't like Steam 'cause they are doing too much. Maybe the second Fire Emblem will bring the old combat system back.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Has it been confirmed that if Xenoblade 3D will have any amiibo functionality?

Also, what do you guys think about Codename Steam? I tried the demo and wasn't too crazy about...but I think its a hard game to appreciate in a demo. Plus, I heard its a more playable/enjoyable on the New 3DS (I haven't upgraded yet).

I'm on the fence on codename steam. I like the turn based play, but the rest of it is meh. I'll get when it drops in price or if there's a sale in the eshop.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I wasn't a fan either. I love advance wars (same developer) and although I've only played the Fire Emblem demo I like the advance wars combat system so I liked Fire Emblem as well, maybe one day I'll get it but I'm just happy with advance wars. I don't like Steam 'cause they are doing too much. Maybe the second Fire Emblem will bring the old combat system back.

Yeah I'm in the same boat...I'm a fan of Intelligent Systems but for now I'll probably pass on Steam. The game just seemed to slow for me. I mean, the battles in Fire Emblem feel exciting, but I just couldn't get into Steam. I do however dig the art style.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I've not played a Xenoblade game before but will getting it for 3ds. Watched several gameplay videos of Steam and it looked kind of boring.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Finally snagged a New 3DSXL today. Fred Meyer's got some in, had a coupon for $20.00 off a purchase of $150.00 or more in Home Electronics, plus I had a shopping rebate of $15.99 to put towards it, so I got it for $164.00.

Boat200

New Challenger
Great, thanks for the recommendations. (Also the link to the other thread on the topic). I'll post up my thoughts on the New 3DS (non-xl) as soon as I've had some time with it. Initial thoughts on the physical build- quality superb, love the size, style of the buttons, etc. Really impressed
Just got a waterField case in the mail today. The New 3DS fits perfectly. Class. Recommended if you can spend a few extra bucks on a quality case.
After playing Smash for hours, I must say if you have big hands (or live somewhere where you've got the option) go for the 3DS XL version.
3d works great. Super comfortable with it on all the time.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Does anybody know if any more limited edition New 3DS / 3DS XL versions are in the pipeline? I guess its inevitable that new limited editions will show up eventually - I have to say that I am not overly keen on the current Zelda / Monster Hunter offerings however would consider picking up a limited edition version if something nice became available (would love a Famicom / Super Famicom inspired version).
As for New 3DS XL owners, how comfortable are you finding the system to play? From my perspective, at the risk of sounding like a little sissy, I find you do start to feel the weight of the system after a few hours play. Also if I was to nit pick since the system has both the analogue stick and dpad next to each other, neither is really placed in an ideal position. Due to this I find that I move my grip slightly to compensate and the fingers resting on the back of the system are sometimes in a less than comfortable position - actually found them going numb on a few occasions.
Would like to try the standard sized New 3DS for comfort although judging by the comments here it seems that the New 3DS XL is the preferred version.

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
This is somewhat off topic, but related to nintendo. I just recently attempted a system transfer from one 3ds XL to another. My old memory card was 32GB and the stock one in the system was 4GB. Like a fool, i thought it was large enough, so I initiated the transfer with the stock card inside. Once it completed, the new 3ds XL only had my dsi ware games. It did not contain any streetpass information, or my ambassador certificate!! Is that stuff still on my old memory card? Just wondering if there is any way to retrieve my ambassador status? Looks like all my normal purchases also transferred to the new system. I noticed that my old memory card still has stuff in it... can i just merge the two memory cards together into the larger one and plug it back in?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Best thing to do before you do any migrations is to just pop your old memory card into a computer and dump the contents to your hard drive. You can move files from one card to another as long as it's going into the same system that way as well. I did that moving from the original 4GB SD to 32GB MicroSD in my 3DS XL. Since you only got a partial transfer due to the smaller size, I would backup that bigger card first and then try the transfer again to a bigger card. I wouldn't trust Nintendo to be able to handle a failed migration gracefully.

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
Best thing to do before you do any migrations is to just pop your old memory card into a computer and dump the contents to your hard drive. You can move files from one card to another as long as it's going into the same system that way as well. I did that moving from the original 4GB SD to 32GB MicroSD in my 3DS XL. Since you only got a partial transfer due to the smaller size, I would backup that bigger card first and then try the transfer again to a bigger card. I wouldn't trust Nintendo to be able to handle a failed migration gracefully.

I figured it out, the internet transfer only did the dsi ware games. The rest was stored in the eShop under settings->redownloadable games. I found all my ambassador stuff there also. Now it's time to wait for a xenoblade/fire emblem themed new 3ds to play on!!! *crosses fingers*

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
+1. Dark Moon is a great game and probably the best looking 3DS game I've played.

Just picked this one up today on the strength of your recommendations - here the Dark Moon in the title is missing and its just called Luigi's Mansion 2:

2015-03-14 19.08.30.jpg

Haven't yet had the chance to fire it up as I am alternating between Link Between the Worlds and Outrun at the moment.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Is it just me or does the New 3DS XL seem to drain extremely fast while closed in sleep mode? I have the Wifi off and it was at 3/4 charged when I put it in my pocket, and when I pulled it out a few hours later it was blinking red.

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
Is it just me or does the New 3DS XL seem to drain extremely fast while closed in sleep mode? I have the Wifi off and it was at 3/4 charged when I put it in my pocket, and when I pulled it out a few hours later it was blinking red.
With my 3DS XL, if I play games in 3D mode and volume turned up, I get a little over 3 hours of play time. I'm guessing that the new 3DS probably gets less battery life from the better sound quality and improved 3D effects.

If I turn off 3D and play with the sound off, I get about 5 hours of play time. Battery life is really poor to begin with on this console.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet

Never had that problem on my XL, or my N3DS. At 3/4 charge, I could leave it in sleep mode for 2 days before I'd see red. Assuming I wasn't playing it in the meanwhile, of course. On average I got about 4 hours with wifi and 3D turned on using my XL, and between 5 - 5.5 hours with everything turned on with the N3DS. Of course my GBA SP, and DS Lite just laugh at that kind of battery life, but hey.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Maybe you were downloading software in the background? If you hit download later it downloads when the Gameboy is closed.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Maybe you were downloading software in the background? If you hit download later it downloads when the Gameboy is closed.

Not if Danthor has the wifi off though.

I never really leave my 3DS in sleep mode, I usually just turn it off unless I am taking it somewhere I know I will get street pass (very rarely). I just bought the standard new 3DS model, not the XL, but the battery life has been pretty good for me, I've only charged it a few times.