HDMI CMVS?

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Want. this. yesterday. Not sure how I completely missed this thread or the hackaday post. I've been following them for years. Fail.

Now off to research what the hell a FPGA board is. Too bad you couldn't use a raspberry pi or arduino to do the video/audio conversion. I have a handful of those sitting around.

I too somehow missed this. kraquepype I can help with a board design, I'll start with your parts list and look through the repo. I know it won't be super turn-key, but if we had dedicated points to run leads to the board, and a usb port to load new code onto it, then we can at least say it works on x, y, and z boards. I'm rubbish at processing video/audio, but i'm sure even having the board available would let others try to get it going on more boards.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Hey guys ... I've been dabbling in PCB design and have been working on a more turnkey design you just pop on top of the FPGA board and wire up. It'll have an HDMI port on the board and header pins to make it easy. Once I'm done it'll be available on OSHPark.

This is the first PCB I've designed so its a bit of a learning curve. I had it all worked out and realized too late I had the voltage dividers setup wrong and had to scrap it.

I've found a resolution to the residual HDMI power issue that I'll be testing out more as well.

The SSG sound issues are a bit more complex, I need to try out an analog - digital converter chip and see if that'll work without too much rework of the FPGA code. ( I didn't write that so I'm not sure what I'm getting into... It's not too complex though ). An alternative is to use RCA jacks but with HDMI that isn't very convenient.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
I too somehow missed this. kraquepype I can help with a board design, I'll start with your parts list and look through the repo. I know it won't be super turn-key, but if we had dedicated points to run leads to the board, and a usb port to load new code onto it, then we can at least say it works on x, y, and z boards. I'm rubbish at processing video/audio, but i'm sure even having the board available would let others try to get it going on more boards.
I'll share my board design with you when I'm done if you like, I'd always like a second look... And if you beat me too it that'd be great too.

I'll share my board design with you when I'm done if you like, I'd always like a second look... And if you beat me too it that'd be great too.

Awesome! I was trying to take a stab at it yesterday when I realized I am not totally clear on the schematic. Do you have anything drawn up, or more detailed pictures?

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Awesome! I was trying to take a stab at it yesterday when I realized I am not totally clear on the schematic. Do you have anything drawn up, or more detailed pictures?

No schematic, but there is a wiring point list on the gitlab page for the project. I used that to lay out the board.

https://github.com/charcole/NeoGeoHDMI

My board will basically sit on top of the FPGA board, and connect to the Neo through header pins. There is an HDMI port on the board which will make that part easier too. The biggest headache of the mod was wiring up all the points, which is about ~22 wires to the Neo and ~10 to the HDMi port. The daughter card for my implementation of it worked, but was a pain to wire up - I use IDE/floppy cables to connect to the FPGA.

Also, I ordered some some Analog->Digital converter chips I'm going to play with to see if I can take the analog signal off the Neo and convert to digital so it can get injected into the HDMI signal. If those work I'll update the board design to include that chip as well. (Without it, the SSG sounds are cut out of the HDMI signal, since the SSG signals come out of the main sound chip as analog and are mixed into the main analog output before amplification)

Here's the board. It's not finished though, and the HDMI port doesn't look right on OSHPark (It looks like the pads for the port are touching in their rendering ... they aren't touching on my PCB design, so I need to ask them if the actual boards would have that problem)

https://oshpark.com/projects/QzfRYFGk

XtraSmiley

New Challenger
^^ No one has replied to say awesome work, so I'm doing so. What is your end game plan, Kickstarter or just direct sales?

GoodTofuFriday

New Challenger
No schematic, but there is a wiring point list on the gitlab page for the project. I used that to lay out the board.

My board will basically sit on top of the FPGA board, and connect to the Neo through header pins. There is an HDMI port on the board which will make that part easier too. The biggest headache of the mod was wiring up all the points, which is about ~22 wires to the Neo and ~10 to the HDMi port. The daughter card for my implementation of it worked, but was a pain to wire up - I use IDE/floppy cables to connect to the FPGA.

Also, I ordered some some Analog->Digital converter chips I'm going to play with to see if I can take the analog signal off the Neo and convert to digital so it can get injected into the HDMI signal. If those work I'll update the board design to include that chip as well. (Without it, the SSG sounds are cut out of the HDMI signal, since the SSG signals come out of the main sound chip as analog and are mixed into the main analog output before amplification)

Here's the board. It's not finished though, and the HDMI port doesn't look right on OSHPark (It looks like the pads for the port are touching in their rendering ... they aren't touching on my PCB design, so I need to ask them if the actual boards would have that problem)

I'll be all over this. Heck I'll test it for you

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
^^ No one has replied to say awesome work, so I'm doing so. What is your end game plan, Kickstarter or just direct sales?

Thanks for the kind words!

No sales plan reallythough, just me tinkering. I didn't write the original FPGA code so I shouldn't profit from it.

Once I've worked out a decent board design they can be ordered from OSHpark. I'll put some kind of guide together at some point.

I'll have a few extra boards since these come in threes from OSH park, but I owe Xian Xi one first if he still wants it.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

No sales plan reallythough, just me tinkering. I didn't write the original FPGA code so I shouldn't profit from it.

Once I've worked out a decent board design they can be ordered from OSHpark. I'll put some kind of guide together at some point.

I'll have a few extra boards since these come in threes from OSH park, but I owe Xian Xi one first if he still wants it.

Of course I still want one. ;)

XtraSmiley

New Challenger

Well, I guess the final dream would be for him to offer a cMVS with HDMI for sale... hint hint.. :P

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member

Hey kraquepype,

Do you think you'll still be putting together a little guide on how to do this?
In addition to your board what FPGA board is needed and how did you write the custom HDMI code to the FPGA board?

I'd love to try this out but I'm not technical enough to do anymore than follow soldering instructions.

But even if you're done with the project thanks for putting in so much time and effort!

XtraSmiley

New Challenger
2 month bump! With the Hi Def NES finally in the wild I thought this would have made some fresh news?

thrall

bhrall,
bumping this !!! hello hello anything yet my guru friends? on this HDMI for MVS

XtraSmiley

New Challenger
Has it been 8 months since my last bump? Uh, anyone still looking at this? Have most people moved onto full FPGA systems? The Dreamcast HDMI chip guy had said his HDMI would work on other consoles as well, I wonder if he meant the NG?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Has it been 8 months since my last bump? Uh, anyone still looking at this? Have most people moved onto full FPGA systems? The Dreamcast HDMI chip guy had said his HDMI would work on other consoles as well, I wonder if he meant the NG?

Last I heard with this mod were problems with the stability of the Cyclone II.

XtraSmiley

New Challenger
Last I heard with this mod were problems with the stability of the Cyclone II.

Dang. Any other options out there? On the horizon? I heard that Dreamcast HDMI chip guy said it was going to work for the NG, but assembler games has been down so I have no idea what happened with that thread either.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
Sounds like he's trying to make some sort of all in one board...hdmi, gdrom emu, etc... He recently said his partner is busy again and hasn't had time to finish the boards to send of for prototyping.
He posts in the fb "Let's make Sega Dreamcast GD ROM Drive Emulation Happen" page from time to time.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
The Cyclone II shouldn't be the source of stability problems, rather the fragile level translation involved in the clock.

Still no word on solving the missing SSG audio.