HDMI CMVS?

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Let us know how it goes.
Its going. I got my HDMI port soldered up and my breadboard fitted.

I've identified most of the points I need on my mv-1b, having some trouble with finding the audio points but I think I have it.

Spent lots of time getting familiar with the FPGA and playing around in the altera software. The code from charcole's github page builds and seems to load up on the FPGA.

Tomorrow I'll be soldering up the wiring and may be able to do a test run.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Minor update. I got my MV1B wired up and worked a bit on it over the weekend. I could not get any output however and am working through some troubleshooting. I'm thinking now I may have had the sync pin mixed up, so I'll be giving it another whirl next weekend most likely. I've also reached out to the author of the mod via the hackaday article to confirm a few things. He's been really helpful so far and hopefully I'll be able to get this running soon.

I have a config memory chip for the FPGA as well for persistent storage ( the FPGA only has RAM by default ) and have been thinking about mounting options once I can stabilize the setup.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Making progress! Got video out the FPGA and was able to wire up the MV1B. I'm getting output from it but its off center and the red seems off.

There is also bleeding as you can see from the images.

I will be soldering up a board and that may take care of centering the image and the bleeding, as its currently on a testing breadboard which is probably introducing interference.

8123acc6d15ff82563a96c432edf8c02.jpg

99607658a08db403f8aa41d09b76c810.jpg

a32b42addfee8a98fee74a18b2c54644.jpg

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
That's some great progress! Keep at it :D

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Thanks! Reprogramming the FPGA with the original code fixed the centering issue.

I think I'll take care of the bleeding with solid connections.

I am also noticing odd colouring when I am hooked up via normal RGB. I'll try to take a video so I can show what I mean. I'm afraid I damaged something in my first attempt at this.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
this could be great... looking forward to more of your updates kraquepype!

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Put together the wiring on a PCB and mounted it to the FPGA, hooked the video up.

HDMI out is working but I'm having sync and color bleeding issues. The board looked great in my cab before doing this so I don't think there's anything wrong there. The picture will clear up perfectly when I probe the SYNC output with my multimeter which is really weird.

Having a tough time getting sound too. The board the original used did not have a YM3016 as the DAC, and I can't find the LRCK input for my setup - the original used a SVC Jamma board which I think has the 9480 DAC, like the MV1C.

(Anyone with knowledge of the 3016 DAC know where I can pull the LRCK signal?)

I'd upload some pics but tapatalk is being a whore right now.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Looks like you have oscillating noise interfering with the signal. Do you have a scope?

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
No I need to get one. The FPGA is generating the clock signal so perhaps I need to take a look at the wiring for the clock.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Well, it is sitting right on top of the system clock on the MV1B.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Yeah I'm gonna try something soon But FYI most of my testing has been with the FPGA on the side, not on top.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Even when it's off to the side, make sure no wires are hovering over it.
Yes - no wires under or over it.

I've switched to a short as possible solid core wire, and I've got a ground wire wrapped around it ala the original setup of the standard oscillator. Still got the same issue with that setup. I'm researching clock signal shielding but not sure how to apply it yet if at all.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
So, some awesome news. After tinkering with the oscillator wire and running a wire from the sync input for the FPGA to the heatsink screw ( wacky I know ) I've got a near perfect picture.

There are red artifacts depending on the display I use - my newest display had them but an older one using an HDMI to VGA adapter doesn't. I'll post a video soon but here are some pics.

99e00bdfc90a9b03af722b32d0b0cead.jpg

e50ceff3cd299a9d466cb6ba96056320.jpg

cdcd07e7917ebdc00a1e06ba050e7d84.jpg

e98e2a5232630707534471a9e1091436.jpg

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Fantastic news! Looking good.

Looking forward to the video and how you get everything mounted on that mv1b with the case back on and HDMI port added ;)

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Its in the case now, I put nylon standoffs. Need to get a file so I can fit the port without jacking up the case. Working a video but YouTube is being a dick. Non retro tech is not working for me today lol

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Oh and in the case, the red artifacts go away. This solution very finicky regarding interference.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Man, this is great, congratulations! does it work on other MVS boards, or only the MV-1B? what about an AES? this has huge potential IMHO

Regards.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
From what I've learned, so long as I can figure our how to interface with the YM3016 DAC on here we'll get sound and yeah, it should work on any AES/MVS platform.

The original one was done on a SVC jamma board, which shares the same DAC as the MV1C. The MV1C should work for sound for sure.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
It looks awesome man. Would you consider making some kits for sale? I think some people here with no access to a PVM might be interested. I am interested for sure.

Regards.