Sketching on vacation

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
these look nice, did you teach this to yourself?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Very nice still-life/architectural studies. For some reason, I've never been very good at that type of thing; I often use photo references as models when I draw, but I'm not that great at illustrating things when I'm looking at actual people/objects.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Nicely done, I'm impressed! Sketching is a great way to relax and spend quality time with oneself on vacation. I rarely have anything presentable, like you though.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Very nice still-life/architectural studies. For some reason, I've never been very good at that type of thing; I often use photo references as models when I draw, but I'm not that great at illustrating things when I'm looking at actual people/objects.

I think it's easier with a photo, because you can turn the photo upside down in order to detach your mind from preconceived symbols you have about the subject and just focus on the shapes and forms...

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I think it's easier with a photo, because you can turn the photo upside down in order to detach your mind from preconceived symbols you have about the subject and just focus on the shapes and forms...

The other good things about photo models are that the lighting/shadows never change and, for living subjects, they don’t move on you. I haven’t done it in a while, but I agree that the drawing upside down thing is indeed a good technique to prevent your brain from putting down what you think is there instead of what's really present.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Thanks for your nice words, guys.

It's amazing how I remember even the smells of places I've sketched, they fix into your memory as you fix them on your pad.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Cool stuff, thanks for sharing!