Neo Geo CD keeps re-booting

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Hi All

I was happily playing in the land of Neo Geo and then all of a sudden today the console just reboots?

I have a spare laser so I swapped it over and same thing. I crunched the power cord where it enters the console so its tight as anything, it still does it.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can provide
B

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Just tried another power supply and the same outcome. I seem to not have much luck with Neo CDs

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
When you say reset is it resetting to the radio screen or resetting so you see the neogeo animation around the CD disk? If its the first then make sure your not pressing ABC+START. If your not then its possible there is an issue with the joystick making that button code trigger.

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
It returns to the disc on the screen with the neo geo CD words around it

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Also I am not playing it at the time. I am watching the attract mode. It does it while playing also

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
does it do it if you leave it on the cd radio screen say while playing audio tracks from cd?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
You can also hold UP+LEFT+B at power on to bring up a test menu. Then do the first test which will test the systems memory.

Raz

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Ok popped in a music CD, Public Enemy if anyone is interested. 2 tracks in and... Rebooted

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Just run the test and it passed all the tests, interesting little menu that

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Get a pair of pliers and tightly crimp the end connector of your power supply's cable on both the sides and the top/bottom. It's not how tightly the connector fits in the back of the system, but rather how good a connection the prongs make with the holes. I had the same problem when I got my Neo CD and this cleared it right up.

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
I have tried that. I made the holes oval so they grip. I have tried another power supply and it does the same so I don't think it's that.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
You need to rule out power first - I know you've tried another PSU, they might both need recapping. Is one of them your original that you had with that last Neo CD? The reason I ask, I checked the caps on that other PSU and they were fine.

If you leave it in the CD player and dont leave a disc playing, does it reboot then? ie. when just idle for a period of time? It could be you are getting a crash and the watchdog is kicking in. Crash could be power related, it could also be RAM related. Does that test mode have a repeating test mode where you can leave it going around and around? Ideally you want something that can be running in code, without disc access for a period of time to see if that reboots. Just to rule out some problem with the CD drive. You could also try measuring the voltage from the PSU input board for a period of time whilst its one and see if anything changes before it reboots. From memory there are at least a couple of voltages - 5v, and 8 or 9v I think. Ideally you want a scope on it to see how much ripple there is. Also worth trying to work out if temperature is a factor - does it get worse when left on for a period of time, or if you leave it on for an hour does it stabilise?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Nice, didn't know that.

Yes its a nice little menu I found when doing the unibios for it. I'm not sure if this was a feature or something left in from development. To get it to a CD test you must do the following.

Run the first test, when you get to the memory card option you _MUST_ select the option to clear it. When you get back to the main menu select the total test option. It should then do CD communication testing. I have not looked at this part of the bios yet so I don't know what's actually going on but I think testing results are saved into the backup memory. It also seems to do the other tests again while the CD is being tested, it seemed SNK knew there was an issue with interference.

As to the actual issue with this CD unit resetting while playing audio only also does seem to maybe suggest a power issue.

Raz

Laguy

n00b
Shit, my NGCD has the same problem recently.

You can also hold UP+LEFT+B at power on to bring up a test menu. Then do the first test which will test the systems memory.

Raz
Sorry for the stupid question but how can you hold UP+LEFT at the same time? Did you mean UP/LEFT?
I cannot bring up the test menu.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
My Neo CD has always done random resets but it seems to be getting worse. I tried tightening the AC adapter pins but the problem remains. Then I noticed this:

DSC08331 (Medium).JPG

Am I using the wrong power supply?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's the correct power supply. Have you measured the output to make sure it's holding up? You can easily fix them and just replace some caps and stuff.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I think it might be the little button inside the lid that tells the system there's a disc loaded. Wedged it down and it hasn't reset again...yet. PSU looks okay. Where do I measure the output?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think it might be the little button inside the lid that tells the system there's a disc loaded. Wedged it down and it hasn't reset again...yet. PSU looks okay. Where do I measure the output?

Best place to measure would be inside the console, see if it's getting both +5v and +12v, then check the LM7805s if they are putting out +5v as well.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I think it might be the little button inside the lid that tells the system there's a disc loaded. Wedged it down and it hasn't reset again...yet.

Weren't NCDs notorious for that?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I don't think the issue is that lid switch, normally that takes you back to the radio screen when its triggered if I remember correctly.

Raz