Any Suggestions for Obscure and Hidden Neo Geo Gems?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Ganryu. That game is awful.

Ain't no Irem's Ninja Spirit, but I wouldn't go that far :tickled:
It has some cool elements. But yeah, nothing really fancy for Neo Geo standards.
It's still acceptable in my book.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
I think you are missing the point of"hidden gem"

What I am trying to say is I consider a hidden gem a game that is not that well known and it is a good game.
Like demon crest for snes is it as good platformer than yoshi island? No. Does it have better graphics/sound? No.
But it has cool design and it shows that Capcom really spent some time with that game and that game can stand proud next to any other platformers out there.
With games like Spinmaster or Top hunter they are ok platformers but they stand out in NEO GEO libary cos there aint that many platformers in Neo Geo.

Elder

NEST Puppet
Maybe you can focus on some decent beat-em ups available? Many people often think of the neo primarily for the fighters, but there are some solid beat-em ups on there, at least IMO:

-Mutation Nation
-Robo Army
-Sengoku series
-8Man

Other games:
-Ninja Commando
-Cyber-Lip

Fighters:
- World Heroes series. Everyone knows Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, KOF, Last Blade, but not this series as much.

There is also a ninja platforming game that the name escapes me at the moment, only available on MVS I beleive.

Cheers for the suggestions :)

Elder

NEST Puppet
Hi Elder,

I enjoyed your Neo Geo section quite a lot. Was wondering when you were going to cover more Neo games, so glad to see you're back at it ;)

My vote goes for:
- Super Dodge Ball
- Blue's Journey
- Crossed Swords (I and/or II, the latter being a Neo Geo CD exclusive at the moment, which might change once Razoola's MVS project wraps up)

Cheers!

I go in cycles. I get tons of requests for NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. games, but at the end of the day I cover what I happen to be playing. Right now I'm back in the Neo/arcade mood, so over the coming months I'm going to start releasing more videos that cater to what I'm playing now :) I'm glad you enjoyed the videos, and hope you enjoy these too :)

Elder

NEST Puppet
I'd definitely go with Last Resort.
Comparing it to R-Type just because of the pod isn't quite right because the whole gameplay mechanics are different.

It's an often forgotten Neo Geo game that is way more competent than most care or think of.
CD version music is ass compared to the original YM2610 tunes so... stick with the AES/MVS cart versions or a well emulated one for the review.

Last Resort has been on my list for some time, only problem being that I'm having a hard time finding a copy.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
What I am trying to say is I consider a hidden gem a game that is not that well known and it is a good game.

We're on the same page here.

With games like Spinmaster or Top hunter they are ok platformers but they stand out in NEO GEO libary cos there aint that many platformers in Neo Geo.

Right, so they are Neo Geo hidden gems. Are we finally in agreement?

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Waku Waku 7, Kabuki Klash and Matrimelee... So awkward and strange but so much fun to play.

Oh hey Elder, I didn't know you had an account on here! I would have to agree with most people that Top Hunter and Kabuki Klash are great hidden gems.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Imho, some good obscure and hidden games that people don't play that much:

Top Hunter
Spinmaster
Ninja Commando
Blue's Journey

---

Windjammers used to be, however it's now mainstream, like most of the other games on your list.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Any hidden gems unearthed and covered on youtube will probably see a huge price hike in the near future.

Elder

NEST Puppet
Oh hey Elder, I didn't know you had an account on here! I would have to agree with most people that Top Hunter and Kabuki Klash are great hidden gems.

Indeed I do have an account here. I'm currently looking for Top Hunter, and will either pick it up via the Neostore or if someone posts one for sale here :)

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Top Hunter homecart contains one extra stage per planet compared to the mvs version.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Top Hunter homecart contains one extra stage per planet compared to the mvs version.
did not know that! Is it a hardware difference or can you play the extra stages on an MVS cart if you change the unibios setting to homeconsole mode?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Most are listed that i can think of elder.If you really enjoy,nightmare in the dark then i can also suggest zupapa for a review.

Elder

NEST Puppet
Most are listed that i can think of elder.If you really enjoy,nightmare in the dark then i can also suggest zupapa for a review.

Thanks Tron. The hard part now is just finding these games. I snagged Crossed Swords, and have been enjoying that right now, but am really looking for Top Hunter. I think I'm going to pick up the copy on the Neo store if no one sells one here over the next few weeks. I'll add Zupapa to the list.

Cheers!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
did not know that! Is it a hardware difference or can you play the extra stages on an MVS cart if you change the unibios setting to homeconsole mode?

Playing the mvs version on the home console via converter doesn't give you the extra stages.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Thanks Tron. The hard part now is just finding these games. I snagged Crossed Swords, and have been enjoying that right now, but am really looking for Top Hunter. I think I'm going to pick up the copy on the Neo store if no one sells one here over the next few weeks. I'll add Zupapa to the list.

Cheers!
Thanks if you enjoy games such as snow bros and bubble bobble then you will enjoy zupapa.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
I wonder if you can add the missing data via eproms?

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Ninja Masters is a cool game. I love the backgrounds also. Karasu and Kamui are awesome characters.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member

Didn't know that either. Thanks for the info. With that, and getting the actual move list for the game, i'd call it a hidden gem. ...more so on the aes apparently.