KOF 2002 UM - Steam

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Saw this announcement this morning, FYI:

KOF 2002 UM is scheduled to be released worldwide on February 27th from 10AM PST! Moreover, you can prepurchase the game at an advantageous price from today 10AM PST!

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I'm looking forward to it. KOF98UM on Steam turned out great after the unfortunate state it was in at launch.

lord7289

n00b
£8.79 here in UK, a 20% discount until launch. 66 characters, hmmmm, tempting.

spoonz

Quiz Detective
How is the netcode on KOF98UM? I was pretty hesitant to purchase it after the Xbox version's netcode was terrible.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I'm looking forward to it. KOF98UM on Steam turned out great after the unfortunate state it was in at launch.

Turned out great? ... No. ..... Better?..... a bit. It's still very wonky and personally I get better connections on the XBL version and that is not highly regarded.

I personally wanted it to put it on my arcade cabinet, but I wouldn't recommend the game to any of my friends. I'm buying '02UM for the same reason, but don't expect a lot better. The only thing it has going for it is the '02UM netcode on XBL is way better then '98UM XBL netcode, and if they are just porting that game (like they did with '98UM) they have a better netcode to work with in the 1st place.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
How is the netcode on KOF98UM? I was pretty hesitant to purchase it after the Xbox version's netcode was terrible.

It's still pretty awful. Even playing people a state away, there's noticeable input lag. That said, even if it didn't have online play at all, it would still be worth $12. The UMs are the best KoFs in my mind.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Okay, ignore netplay, and the port turned out pretty great. I'm just happy to have it be great offline, personally.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I played a bunch of this earlier this morning. It's amazing how much better it is than regular KOF02. I've played the MVS version for years and the Dreamcast version for even longer than that, and this is my first time playing 02UM, and I'm just blown away. It's still no 98UM, but it doesn't feel stunted like vanilla KOF02 did.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
So with no improvement in the signature SNKP netcode, would you recommend this version to somebody who has the XBOX 360 version of the game?

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
So with no improvement in the signature SNKP netcode, would you recommend this version to somebody who has the XBOX 360 version of the game?

I haven't played it online. Still, I'd recommend it over the 360 because what do you think will be around in 20 years? A functioning 360 you can play the game on? Or a PC that can be rigged to play it? Do you think you'll even be able to download it on the 360 in 20 years?

The merits of PC gaming vs. console gaming aside, it plays great and looks fine. The developers have been totally tits about ironing out bugs and even looking into UDP-based netcode for both 98UM and 02UM.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster

It's definately different netcode then the 360 version. The overall netplay is smoother but the tradeoff is the input delay jumps around like a jackrabbit most of the time. It all depends on what you like.

lord7289

n00b
Today's Steam Summer Sale features King of Fighters series heavily discounted to £2.19 in the flash sale. Ends at 1800hrs BST.

Last edited: