Laserdisc Collecting

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Are there any other Laserdisc collectors here?

Laserdisc is kind of like Neo Geo for me, it's something I never had or could afford as a kid but always wanted.

I picked up a player a couple of years ago and have since collected a pretty impressive collection of Horror films. I have some other discs as well but it's mainly horror in my collection, I just love the big artwork, especially the Japanese discs.

Any other collectors of this dead format?

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Yup. Years back I bought a very nice Pioneer player with built-in side changer. Comes in handy for those 2 or 3 disc editions. My first priority when I bought it was to get me the classics. For me, that meant scifi. And pretty much anything Spielberg. I got the player around the time when DVD was still a very new format, and a lot of people still used VHS. Off the top of my head, here are some of my discs:

Star Wars Definitive Edition THX Box Set (Kick Ass 9-disc Edition)
Star Wars Special Edition THX Box Set (Yes, the heavily altered movies)
Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (Multiple versions)
Blade Runner (Multiple versions)
Alien Box Set
Aliens Box Set
Alien 3
Terminator 2 Box Set
Krull Box Set
Starchaser: The Legend Of Orin
Stargate AC-3 Digital
Fifth Element
Predator
Tron Box Set
The Lion King Box Set
Lady And The Tramp
Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Iron Maiden - Maiden England
Seven Box Set
Tremors I & II
Back To The Future I,II,III Box Set

There are many more but I can't think right now.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yeah and no...Where I really believe there was a time not so long ago where having a LD was a good move, it is quickly becoming a relic. Take in mind these rules:

A. You should have a analog TV set with a good Y/C filter. Where the Y/C filter on many LD players were good for the time and would look good over built in S-Video, they can't compare to the units found in quality TV sets made around the mid 2000's. LD on modern HD sets looks pretty shitty unless you have some sort of external scaler/processor.

B. To get AC3 from a LD you have to have one of three things: 1. A player with an optical out, 2. An old receiver with an RF demodulator built in. 3. An RF demodulator (like a Yamaha APD-1). If not, you get stereo and some Pro Logic encoding.

C. Many of the rare LDs from the past are now finally available elsewhere on DVD or BR. While there were many reasons to get them in the past, you can get a better version elsewhere for cheaper now.

D. High end units command a HIGH PRICE still to this day. My middle of the road, CLD-D504 will fetch $75-100 in good working order. High end units are far more than that.

If you want one to have and to watch knowing the product will be inferior to anything on the market now...go right ahead. They are fun to use, I have one myself. If you plan on getting some sort of amazing PQ and/or sound quality...look elsewhere.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Yeah, I'm under no illusion that I will get any great picture quality out of them, I collect them more for fun and as an oddity. I do watch them though, I own most of the films I have on DVD or Blu Ray already, but sometimes it's just more fun to watch the film on Laserdisc :)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
This is the same for me, I only really watch old 80s and early 90s action flicks on my LD player. It just gives me those warm and fuzzies from when I was younger. Other than that it's meh at best.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I started buying them in the mid 90's with my dad. When he died I took over his collection so I got quite a few. I rarely worrying about buying more but for some reason it's just kinda cool to have anime in LD. Even though I can buy it cheaper and better on DVD it kinda feels like turning back the clock to watch it on LD.

The other thing I do is hang some of the covers around the house. I have the Street Fighter II Movie (anime japanese cover) and Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers) Vol 1 in my game room. I gave my wife some Bond movies, a classic my roommate likes called Hamburger The Motion Picture, and AC/DC Live to hand in the living room and front room. She hangs records so it kinda works.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I still pick some up from time to time. I find some great LD's in vinyl sections of various stores.

I don't make the argument for soft PQ or great sound anymore for the reasons Smokehouse mentioned. It's a different experience just like vinyl, but I don't think it's vastly superior. The jackets and boxsets are the best aspects of this hobby. Animation holds up very well in LD format.

I did take advantage of the price spike in great players. I kept my well maintained CLD-59, but I sold my CLD-99 and other players. I do have a demodulator and an external video processor w/line doubler. They take a up a lot of space!
I still keep an eye out for some of the more rare players. Almost had an LD-W1.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'd love to pick up some more anime on LD, as NeoSneth just said, animation does hold up well. I have a few Tenchi discs and Akira, which still looks great on LD. Anime in english doesnt show up very often here in the UK though.

I might have to steal that idea of hanging the covers up, Mr Bakaboy. Some of my horror films have amazing covers, they'd look great on the wall.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I still pick some up from time to time. I find some great LD's in vinyl sections of various stores.

I don't make the argument for soft PQ or great sound anymore for the reasons Smokehouse mentioned. It's a different experience just like vinyl, but I don't think it's vastly superior. The jackets and boxsets are the best aspects of this hobby. Animation holds up very well in LD format.

I did take advantage of the price spike in great players. I kept my well maintained CLD-59, but I sold my CLD-99 and other players. I do have a demodulator and an external video processor w/line doubler. They take a up a lot of space!
I still keep an eye out for some of the more rare players. Almost had an LD-W1.

Like any old technology, it really is a labor of love. You basically get to chose between going in 1 knuckle deep...or just ramming the entire hand/forearm in there. There's really no middle ground. You can get an ok player like mine and run it stereo audio and composite video...or you can go your route and go all out. High end player, RF demodulator, scaler, etc.

You karate do "guess-so"? *SQUISH* Just like grape...

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I still own a LD player. However, I rarely watch LDs these days. This is mostly due to how superior BD is these day. I was really into LD before BD hit, because LD can sometimes offer better audio quality than DVD. But, the audio quality is tied to everything else in the setup. At the time I had a high end prepro that had killer AC-3 support, Cinema Re-EQ, RF demodulator, PCM, and everything else. Now on the rare occasion when I watch an LD, it's mostly for nostalgia.

When it come to available material, I think that a much higher percentage of LD has been made available on DVD/BD in comparison to VHS. There's a lot of stuff that was available on VHS, that never made it past that format.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Yeah I collect them still. These days mostly for video game related LDs. Once in a while I'll pick up a somewhat obscure Japanese movie that's probably only available on VHS or classic 80s/90s western live action movie/anime.

Love the big cover art on these.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
At the moment I'm running a Pioneer CDL-59 Elite. It's okay for watching stuff but isn't anything fancy.

I almost never use it. I've a few discs that I keep because I can't find the show on a better format. Also, a few discs that I just like the covers or such.

Some day I'll dvr the videos I have on it and get rid of it.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I've always wanted to get into collecting LaserDiscs, but thankfully I haven't because I don't really have the space or any real need for it.

a classic my roommate likes called Hamburger The Motion Picture

That movie is hilarious!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
At this point...the only real reason why I still have a LD player is so that my daughter can watch the un-edited Star Wars trilogy. I do have the DVD LD rips that came as a bonus disc, but I think the LD looks batter, sadly.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've never own or even seen a laserdisc, but I keep hoping I'll find a cheap one at a flea market or something, I've always wanted to give it a try. I have no logical reason why, other than I think it's cool.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
At this point...the only real reason why I still have a LD player is so that my daughter can watch the un-edited Star Wars trilogy. I do have the DVD LD rips that came as a bonus disc, but I think the LD looks batter, sadly.

I have the pre clean up LD's (father's) and post Lucas clean up LD's (mine) that happened in the early 90's but haven't decided if I want to get the special edition Star Wars Trilogy on LD. Besides the changing Anakin from an old man to Hayden Christensen is there any good reason to get the special edition on LD?

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Anybody know where you can get a player repaired? I have one I was going to use to transfer stuff over to DVD, but the assembly died on me before I could.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Anybody know where you can get a player repaired? I have one I was going to use to transfer stuff over to DVD, but the assembly died on me before I could.

Did you try Kurtis Bahr - kbahr@comcast.net ?

He did a great job with mine when I owned one.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Why Lucas has released this yet is beyong me. I asked my brother to find LD rips for me for the original trilogy and I can finally see why everyone treasures them so much.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
If someone could steer me to an Akira, Vampire Hunter D, and Ninja Scroll on LD you would be my hero

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I don't collect anymore and don't really watch mine very often but I keep them around for the killer packaging and nostalgia.

I'll post some pics. of my favorites later.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
If someone could steer me to an Akira, Vampire Hunter D, and Ninja Scroll on LD you would be my hero

Japanese Vampire Hunter D isn't too hard to find on auction sites.

Ninja Scroll US or Japanese is fairly rare.

I've never own or even seen a laserdisc, but I keep hoping I'll find a cheap one at a flea market or something, I've always wanted to give it a try. I have no logical reason why, other than I think it's cool.

My parents had them when I was growing up. Mainly for Karaoke (I eventually inherited their player, along with getting a few more myself). Every now and then they would get a movie or I would. An ex of mine back in the days had one at her house too. Her dad was really into the LD movies, so I'd watch a lot at their place.

Always thought the format was neat and of course the big beautiful cover art.... especially on the Japanese releases.

IMG_0558_zps30567e53.jpg~original

Last edited:

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Mr. Bakaboy and NeoSneth. South Couty Mall VStock has had a pretty good selection of LD's for the past few months. They're in boxes on the floor by the registers up front. If you're looking at Wii games turn around and look at the floor. Not sure what titles or if there's anything even collectible/rare in there, but figured I'd give you the heads up.