Anyone switch from NES/SNES to Famicom/super famicom

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Smoke, join the Famicom World forums, there are a few sellers there that are noob friendly and often have great deals. Some of them are based in Japan, so it doesn't make sense to buy individual carts but they are cheap enough to get a whole box. And stick around, it's a pretty good forum of gamers who aren't necessarily parasitic collectors like most Nintendo specific forums.

Personally, I never really switched, but I did add an original Famicom, FDS, and a Super Famicom to my arsenal a few years ago. The actual system is irrelevant as I mostly use an Everdrive on both systems, but having a tiny AV famicom with an Everdrive stuck in it with everything you'd want to play is ridiculously awesome. Same thing with the SFC. I will say that collecting Japanese for the most part is the way to go, as most non-RPG games are either in English anyway or have so little Japanese text as not to matter.

Yup, I was just going to say stop buying all this overpriced horseshit and get some flash carts.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Thanks for the info fellas. Been thinking about switching to SFC for some time now, but have a modest SNES collection, I don't know if I'd want to sell the carts (considering they're my wife's). The PAL slowdown is probably the main contributing factor as to what's getting me thinking about switching.

I sold my NES years ago so I've been looking at the AV Famicom as the potential addition for NES gaming. Those that have one, what would you say are te pros and cons compared to other NES/Famicom systems?

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I've got a converter cart/pass-through device to let you play SNES on SFC/SFC on SNES I don't need if somebody wants it.

That way you don't need to re-buy everything in your collection.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I sold my NES years ago so I've been looking at the AV Famicom as the potential addition for NES gaming. Those that have one, what would you say are te pros and cons compared to other NES/Famicom systems?

AV Famicom Pro:
AV out! The regular Famicom is RF only, but can be AV modded.
If you want to go the RGB route, installing Tim's RGB kit is easier on a AV Fami than any other NES/Fami system by far.
Size, this fucker is TINY.
NES compatible controller ports. All other models have hardwired controllers.

AV Famicom Cons:
Volume levels in expansion audio are a little off compared to a stock Famicom (personal note, I am a FDS whore and don't care)
Expensive
Those cheap Yobo NES to Famicom converters do not work well with AV famicoms, and other converters are expensive. You can do a ghetto fix to the converter to make it work though. NES carts with a converter do look really funny on the AV Famicom.

Personally, as someone who has either owned or used every official model of NES/Famicom except for the Titler, the the AV Fami with a FDS, converter for NES compatiblity, and a Everdrive is my favorite setup. Admittedly, the tiny size and my love for the Dogbone controller do have a lot to do with that.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I didn't switch, but I did obtain the means of playing both, with a Famicom to NES converter, and a Super Famicom (I didn't want to mod my SNES).

The real best way is to get the appropriate flash carts and not have to worry about the insane collector market. I have a SD2SNES and I'm working on getting more in the Everdrive family for other systems.

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
Personally, as someone who has either owned or used every official model of NES/Famicom except for the Titler, the the AV Fami with a FDS, converter for NES compatiblity, and a Everdrive is my favorite setup. Admittedly, the tiny size and my love for the Dogbone controller do have a lot to do with that.

I agree that the AV Famicom is a fantastic little system. I've been thinking about getting a FDS for a while now. Is the infamous broken belt flaw easy to fix? Don't know a lot about the inner workings of that thing.
Also, how would you describe 'loading times' on the FDS?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The belt itself is easy. Doing further adjustments, not so much. I bought a refurbished unit from a guru on Famicom World, so it runs like a champ.

Loading in most games isn't a factor, but the are a few that are annoying. Castlevania 2 is a nightmare.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
My SNES with the tabs removed plays Japanese SFC carts fine. No pass though device needed.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Thanks for the run down, I am now even more inclined to go with my initial choice of the AV Fam.

Considering the expansion audio issues, I have read the Twin Famicom has improved audio over the AV Famicom. Would it be better to just go with the Twin considering it has the FDS as well? The controller leads are longer too right?

I'm guessing at this stage it is just personal choice or is there more to it between the Twin and the AV models?

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
One small note: 3p and 4p controllers work differently between the NES and Famicom. If you ever want to use a game's 4 player functionality, you have to do it on their respective consoles. I got rid of a system too soon before I realized that.

Edit: I don't know if what I said is true for the Famicom AV that has US style controller ports. It only holds for the old style and twins that have the single D-style port.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The AV Famicom just needs a modification to work with the US Zapper and US Four Score/Satellite.

FDS drive alignment is very easy, if you know what you're doing.

MrRoboto19XX

Rugal's Thug
I switched to buying Famicom games about six years ago and I'm really glad I did. While it's felt the current upward trend that all of classic gaming has, the Famicom market isn't nearly as ridiculous as the NES is right now. Like many have said, the carts themselves just feel more fun to collect, and it seems like there's more to discover in terms of the console library.

In regards to fixing FDS's, I've found this guide to be helpful.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Is that Eric Bischoff in your avatar?

If so, why is he eating corn flakes?