Cool new guide : Konami Shooters

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I saw this as well, looks interesting, but I have no idea how the integrity of the writing is from these guys, which is why I haven't bought it yet. They also have a Castlevania book that looks neat too. Just sort of waiting on some reliable reviews to state that there are no blatant errors and such.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
The Castlevania book is awesome. I read Konami sent them a cease and desist notice though, and it's come in and out of stock ever since. I'd jump on this soon just in case. Their Sega book is great too.

I bought this last Friday for $15.46 on Amazon btw. So it's the magical Amazon fluctuation price game. :)

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I bought one just now. It's a little more then I want to pay but figured it's a drop in the bucket for the money I spend on Konami shooters :-)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I just ordered one too. Was going to grab the Castlevania one but it's up to $25 now.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
I saw this as well, looks interesting, but I have no idea how the integrity of the writing is from these guys, which is why I haven't bought it yet. They also have a Castlevania book that looks neat too. Just sort of waiting on some reliable reviews to state that there are no blatant errors and such.

Once I get it I will share some first impressions here.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I bought the Castlevania one back in December and spot read entries from it. It's a cool book, but it reads like a print version of Castlevania Dungeon's website. It's updated a little, but not enough in some places as you could just go online and get that exact content. The pictures are nice to have, though, as they're in color.

That said, I went ahead and ordered the Konami Shooter book even though I've read the HardcoreGaming101 entries for most of the games multiple times now. Not sure there's much else a book that uses them as a base could say that the website doesn't already have, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Westcb

Got my book today and I like it a lot. The picture quality is better than I expected and I have already learned a lot about gradius that I didn't know. Example, didn't know that gradius 2 and gradius II were different games. Also didn't know (or I forgot) that twinbee came out on the nes in the USA under a different name. Probably stuff that's obvious to most but I haven't ever really researched Konami games online before. I probably will though after reading this book. Also really enjoy the screen shot comparisons between some of the more obscure ports of games like this ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422414026.477837.jpg
If you like Konami shooters it's pretty neat and I don't think you will be upset for spending 17 bucks.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Got my book today and I like it a lot. The picture quality is better than I expected and I have already learned a lot about gradius that I didn't know. Example, didn't know that gradius 2 and gradius II were different games. Also didn't know (or I forgot) that twinbee came out on the nes in the USA under a different name. Probably stuff that's obvious to most but I haven't ever really researched Konami games online before. I probably will though after reading this book. Also really enjoy the screen shot comparisons between some of the more obscure ports of games like this View attachment 22366
If you like Konami shooters it's pretty neat and I don't think you will be upset for spending 17 bucks.

Okay, that picture gives a good idea of the types of edits and expansions the current Hardcoregaming101 website entries have gone through in their transition to print. That page is based on this one: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/gradius/gradius5.htm

"It also carries over a few elements from Gradius 2 MSX. In order to get the best ending, you need to uncover hidden "predictions" found in each stage. Sneakily enough, the only way to get to the real final level is by sticking Gradius 2 in the second cartridge slot. Additionally, certain enemies will drop "E" capsules - grab fifteen of these and you'll be granted a new weapon. Upgrading your lasers is essential if you want to find all of the predictions. There's also an intro cinematic that details the plotline. You control two pilots - Iggy Rock, pilot of the Sabel Tiger, and Zowie Scott, pilot of the Thrasher - as they defend the planet of Latis from the evil Zelos Force."

Book:
"It also carries over a few elements from Gradius 2 for the MSX. In order to get the best ending, you need to uncover hidden “predictions” found in each stage. Sneakily enough, the only way to get to the real final level is by sticking Gradius 2 in the second cartridge slot. Additionally, certain enemies will drop “E” capsules. When you grab fifteen of these, you’ll be granted a new weapon. Upgrading your lasers is essential if you want to find all the predictions. There’s also an intro cinematic that details the plot and introduces two new characters - Iggy Rock, pilot of the Sabel Tiger, and Zowie Scott, pilot of the Thrasher."

And that paragraph about the X68000 versions is brand new-- the one that starts with "The X68000 version, ported by Sharp, is nearly arcade perfect."

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I bought the konami book along with their other two titles on impulse. Pretty good reads but the paper feels a little on the cheap side.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Their Castlevania book is awesome, and the trouble with Konami was resolved, so it should also be available for purchase.

I'll be getting the shooter book soon.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I bought the konami book along with their other two titles on impulse. Pretty good reads but the paper feels a little on the cheap side.

That's due to it being from Amazon's print on demand program (CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform).

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've only thumbed through it a little, and the book is indeed rad. I had no idea Konami made this many shooters. My only thing is that since it's a thick paperback book I'm afraid to mess it up, I kinda wish I could pay a few more bucks to get it in hardback.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Got mine yesterday. The paper feels little on the cheap side like shadowkn already mentioned. The screenshots look little bit too pixelated for their size and I think they could have done little bit more work in that direction. Other than that the articles are well written with plenty of interesting information. Definitely a good read that will give you nice info on what game to buy in certain series per say. I liked the comparison they do between same games on different systems as that is good to know before investing money on certain game you always wanted to get.

I paid $15 for it and I think that is just about the right price tag. For $25 you would expect a hard back and better paper so I wouldn't suggest paying the full price but wait for discounted sale prices on it.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'll have to pick this up, I have their Sega book and it was a great read.

The only problem is all the money I will spend on Konami Shooters after I've read it.

Westcb

I'll have to pick this up, I have their Sega book and it was a great read.

The only problem is all the money I will spend on Konami Shooters after I've read it.

Haha me too! I been wanting a gradius board for years but now that I have been reading this book I want one even more. Trouble is I never see them for cheap. I have been getting by on just playing the nes ports though.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Haha me too! I been wanting a gradius board for years but now that I have been reading this book I want one even more. Trouble is I never see them for cheap. I have been getting by on just playing the nes ports though.

Yeah, Gradius PCBs cost as much if not more than a lot of CAVE kits.

Seriously, a working Gradius 1 bubble system PCB went for 200,000 yen on YAJ recently.
And what's crazy is a Gradius 1 poster went for 181,000 yen on Monday.
Link:
http://closedsearch.auctions.yahoo....8&tab_ex=commerce&slider=0&f_adv=1&fr=auc_adv

Anyway, my suggestion is to give the Parodius series a try as it is like a colorful, greatest hits version of the Gradius and Salamander series. Yes, it's easier, but it's still a hell of a lot of fun to play and it has the Gradius and Twin Bee ships in it (among others).

Westcb

Yeah, Gradius PCBs cost as much if not more than a lot of CAVE kits.

Seriously, a working Gradius 1 bubble system PCB went for 200,000 yen on YAJ recently.
And what's crazy is a Gradius 1 poster went for 181,000 yen on Monday.
Link:
http://closedsearch.auctions.yahoo....8&tab_ex=commerce&slider=0&f_adv=1&fr=auc_adv

Anyway, my suggestion is to give the Parodius series a try as it is like a colorful, greatest hits version of the Gradius and Salamander series. Yes, it's easier, but it's still a hell of a lot of fun to play and it has the Gradius and Twin Bee ships in it (among others).

I got sexy parodius and love it. They seemed to be priced pretty affordable and i need to try and hunt down another one to switch out with. I wished I had local shmup fans that I could trade boards with though as that would be way more economical :-)