Jamma to MiniDin -- no signal??

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I'd like to run some vertical jamma boards to my XRGB-mini Framemeister. I read that I can hook it up directly if I wire up my Jamma harness's video wires to a MiniDin plug (making a "Jamma to MiniDin cable").

I know I'd need to hook up Red, Blue, Green, Ground...
but what about Video Sync? Does that go to the CSync pin on the MiniDin?

Also, I read that I need to add 220 or 280 ohm resistors to the R/G/B to drop the voltage, but do I need only 3 (for R/G/B) or do I need a 4th one on Sync also?

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Is the Jamma's "Video Sync" and the MiniDin's "CSYNC" the same thing?

And do I need to put a resistor on that Sync line (like with the R/G/B lines), if so?

Last edited:

purple

Geese's Thug
it depends on how strong is rgb output, why don't you use 500ohm or 1k pots on rgb lines so you can adjust colors. yes cysnc and video sync is same, csync usually for consoles, but you can wire jamma video sync there.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
it depends on how strong is rgb output, why don't you use 500ohm or 1k pots on rgb lines so you can adjust colors. yes cysnc and video sync is same, csync usually for consoles, but you can wire jamma video sync there.

Thanks for the suggestion on the pots and clarifying the sync question. Now to order the parts!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'd honestly put pots on the RGB lines, there is no JAMMA standard as far as video voltages and levels.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I wired everything up, but I don't seem to be getting any kind of signal at all when I connect things up to the Framemeister's MiniDin port on the front. Could I have wired something up wrong or am I missing something...?

Here's what I built. It has three 1k Pots for the RGB lines and the wires going into a female MiniDin port.

20150207_044109_zpsmge89ot8.jpg

20150207_044052_zps5bddehng.jpg

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Have you tried adjusting the sync level on the Framemeister in its menu?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
You sure you have the pots wired correctly? I would have tried first without pots and then added them after you verified it works.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Have you tried adjusting the sync level on the Framemeister in its menu?

I just got a Framemeister, so I'm not that familiar with all the options on it yet. It's got the English menu patch, and I know it works as I plugged a Playstation 1 into it via RCA and got a picture. I know I set Sync to auto, though.

You sure you have the pots wired correctly? I would have tried first without pots and then added them after you verified it works.

From what I understand, the bottom posts are the source and the ground, and it doesn't matter which one is which. The other is the output. That said, I DON'T get continuity on the RGB wires once output through the pots, but I was guessing that was normal since none of the posts on the pots gave continuity (not bottom/left and top, bottom/right and top, or the two bottom posts).

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
With the XRGB Mini, you need to sometimes adjust the sync level as mentioned above. It's defaulted I think at 15, adjust it down to 1-5 or until the picture stabilizes. Setting it to auto sometimes makes shit go bonkers.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Okay, I managed to figure out why I wasn't getting a picture--I had wired up the Sync to the Scart post. So no picture problem solved. ^_^;

[old]The picture I'm getting is a bit green/blue for some things, so I'll play around with the color settings later to see if I can sort that out. (I tried it both with pots and direct and the difference is that without pots, the picture color is the same but brighter.)[/old]
Update: figured out the color issue. I had also miswired the Red and Blue connections. Male and Female pinouts can be so confusing... Had to figure it out by checking the continuity. @_@

With the XRGB Mini, you need to sometimes adjust the sync level as mentioned above. It's defaulted I think at 15, adjust it down to 1-5 or until the picture stabilizes. Setting it to auto sometimes makes shit go bonkers.

Thanks, I'll try that out tonight.

Last edited: