CRT TV's that will sync to non NTSC pcb's via Superguns

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hiya peoples

I know Sony Wega's won't sync to pcbs like the Mortal Kombat series since those pcbs refresh at something like 53Hz rather than the standard NTSC 60Hz.

But, what crt tvs will? Toshiba? Panasonic? Specific models that you have experience with?

My PVM 2950 nor my 27 inch Wega will sync with my Raiden 2 board which I believe has a refresh of 54Hz.

I would like something in the 27 inch size.

Please, CRTs that were available in the US please. No need telling me how your awesome mid 90's Grundig crt that you bought in Germany works fine with them via Scart rgb.

Plan to use a scart rgb to component device with it.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
MK is 53Hz due to a higher Vertical resolution....

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
I've got a 24" JVC I'Art CRT (24F703 model) that happens to work fine with MK PCB's through my supergun's JROK encoder. However, there is some faint flickering of brightness since the CRT is trying to use the 53Hz coming from the PCB; but nonetheless VERY VERY playable.

Only other thing that can be done is, well.. measure your yoke for whichever CRT you want to use, find a K7000 chassis (27" if you need, or common 25" size for 25" CRT's), and hopefully that yoke will match the impendance needed for that Chassis (or swap the yoke to the one you need) -- and there you have a very nice dedicated supergun TV :)

It's too bad not all arcade PCB's produce the same sync frequency, or a clean signal for that matter.. MK's 53Hz sync, MVS's 59.14Hz... CPS1 Street Fighter 2's dirty sync signal needing a cleaner for NTSC TV sets...... all need adjusting when swapping game to game

It's a pain that not all arcade PCB's produce the same exact sync frequency, or a clean sync signal for that matter, hence t

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
nevermind just read you are outputting component. I can test my PVM L14 via component.

Last edited:

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Hmm, I just tried a Sony Wega with Mortal Kombat 2 and sure enough, no dice. I KNOW I had a Sony CRT from around 2003 that synced just fine with MK2. I'm a little surprised a PVM won't sync up. I have a Trinitron that I can dig out and test for you.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Hmm, I just tried a Sony Wega with Mortal Kombat 2 and sure enough, no dice. I KNOW I had a Sony CRT from around 2003 that synced just fine with MK2. I'm a little surprised a PVM won't sync up. I have a Trinitron that I can dig out and test for you.

In my experience, Sony TVs generally do not sync with Midway boards.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
In my experience, Sony TVs generally do not sync with Midway boards.

Yeah, I'm not sure which TV I was using before, but I have 2 Trinitrons and a Wega and none of them sync. Funnily enough, MK2 syncs fine with my Panasonic plasma (with a 60HZ refresh) through a Framemeister. Scanlines look like crap though andf the picture is EXTREMELY dark.