Congratulation Jasen Hicks - SRK Fight Stick of the Year & Tech Talk Company of the Year

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
Maybe the Navy is relocating him, every 2 years right or is each branch different?

Re-locations are kinda common in the US Military and reassignments don't always follow obvious rhyme or reason.
In the end its simply Uncle Sam needs someone with your same skills and attributes here instead of there.

I believe in the end Jasen is holding his career in the Navy as priority over his side business with arcade sticks.
And I do believe he making the right call.

Hell for you nay-sayers and critics, I am still wondering how a jerk got me won Member of the year.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Hell for you nay-sayers and critics, I am still wondering how a jerk got me won Member of the year.

You really have no clue what goes on here and in the hobby do you? There is a reason why SRK in general is disliked by many here.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
As impressive looking as that is, and I am sure it took a lot of build time, 90% of what I see on that stick serves no purpose at all.

Kinda like these PC case modders that do all these crazy mods on computer cases. Lots of work with really zero benefit.

At the end of the day, that's still just a Joystick that doesn't appear to offer any advantages to the user in comfort, control and certainly not in price.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

B15's sticks are sure nice to look at, but something that's hundreds if not thousands of dollars wont see a minute of game play. It's an art piece.

Again, different strokes.

undamned

Pleasure Goal
LOL

I'm sorry, but that's just fucking stupid.
So, the high quality samurai sword hanging on my wall is stupid because I don't go around hacking up stuff in the back yard with it? Same exact argument.
-ud

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
So, the high quality samurai sword hanging on my wall is stupid because I don't go around hacking up stuff in the back yard with it? Same exact argument.
-ud

The difference being that high quality sword could be an instrument of precision and death in the right hands. It's build quality and design allow for it to stay razor sharp and slice bone like butter. It's was purposely designed to be an incredible tool regardless of of it hanging on your wall or in the hands of an experienced swordsman.

That joystick earlier?

Dude, it's a Pinto that's been tricked out with stickers and a spoiler from Jegs.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Games you can't play
Carpet you can't walk on
Now we need a new one for arcade sticks...

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Lol, no. Custom built from the ground up.
for the purpose to look nice first whereas the usability is not focused at... brokens argument stands.
Also I highly doubt the B15 sticks are art, no aesthetic experience.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
-ud

If it were one of the display pieces that would break in half the moment you actually needed it, yes. If it were a real sword, and the user is trained to use it, then no, it's a weapon like any other.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
If it were one of the display pieces that would break in half the moment you actually needed it, yes. If it were a real sword, and the user is trained to use it, then no, it's a weapon like any other.

Most are in fact Stainless Steel Display swords aka useless and will snap in half if used.

Real Katanas and swords are not Stainless Steel.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
could be an instrument of precision and death in the right hands. It's build quality and design allow for it to stay razor sharp and slice bone like butter.

Pretty sure you just described my knife hand technique.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
And before ANYONE jumps to conclusions, I don't think anyone here has issue with Jasen's service in the military, or that he's putting a side project on hold while he focuses on his day job. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I think ki_atsushi's post was pointing out that the award came at a time that he would not be able to ride high on it.

Jasen's reputation is pretty strong in the FGC so he's not going to be hurting for business when he bounces back.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
And before ANYONE jumps to conclusions.

Too late.

Of course I don't think this guy understands the Tech/Dark side of SRK and its members. Has really nothing to do with Jasen.

SRK has allowed its members to steal the work of others and not give 2 shits about it. From code to artwork and boots years before Jasen even started.

I admire Jasen's work and builds. As far as SRK's recognition, its not worth shit to me. His reputation and how he handles business is what is important.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
The votes were based on contributions by people who are actually active in SRK Tech talk. Anomaly hardly ever posts there (I think he's pretty active on facebook these days) and (to his detriment) anything I've seen him post in the "post your arcade stick" thread has horrid photo quality, so you can't even tell how good it is. I've actually hung out with him and seen his stuff in person at events, so I know his stuff is pretty legit, but that's not what the voting is based on. And not to slight Anomaly, but his work is far from the best out there. It's great, but the best is in the clouds. Here's the stick I voted for "Custom Arcade Stick of the Year":

KTMCustomArcadeStickResized1_zps8d1982e9.jpg

KTMCustomArcadeStickResized3_zpsd64b2807.jpg

I think B15SDM has won "Custom Arcade Stick Builder of the Year" every year (including this last one) and there should be no question why.

For anyone who would like to read more about the SRK Tech Talk Awards (rather than make blind speculations), here's the article:

http://shoryuken.com/2015/01/22/shoryuken-tech-talk-awards-2014-winners-announced/

Just take a look at the winners and nominees (especially the "Custom Arcade Stick of the Year" nominees). All amazing work and great contributions to the Tech Talk community.
-ud

Looks fucking dumb.

Ash Burton

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
And before ANYONE jumps to conclusions, I don't think anyone here has issue with Jasen's service in the military, or that he's putting a side project on hold while he focuses on his day job. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I think ki_atsushi's post was pointing out that the award came at a time that he would not be able to ride high on it.

Jasen's reputation is pretty strong in the FGC so he's not going to be hurting for business when he bounces back.

He is on a deployment as of about a week ago, unfortunately for Jasen but I agree with Lemony in the fact that he will be just fine.

undamned

Pleasure Goal
SRK has allowed its members to steal the work of others and not give 2 shits about it. From code to artwork and boots years before Jasen even started.
I've only been involved w/ SRK Tech Talk for a few years, so this is news to me. Mind listing which particular instances (with links, if possible) make you say that?
-ud

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I've only been involved w/ SRK Tech Talk for a few years, so this is news to me. Mind listing which particular instances (with links, if possible) make you say that?
-ud

By 2009, CPS2 Phoenix dumps went to MAME without Razoola's permission at the time. A few SRK members starting doing them on SRK as a service, using MAME ROMs. The person that originated many of the dumps is a former NG, SRK, and SegaNaomi bootlegger and submitted them via Dumping Union.

Reproductions of some of Brandon's work (formerly MCS Arcade) has shown up there. Never have I recalled Brandon sharing any of his art files.

Links, can't provide any now. A lot of the older threads on SRK seem to be gone. Did they have a mishap or issue a few years back?

undamned

Pleasure Goal
By 2009, CPS2 Phoenix dumps went to MAME without Razoola's permission at the time. A few SRK members starting doing them on SRK as a service, using MAME ROMs. The person that originated many of the dumps is a former NG, SRK, and SegaNaomi bootlegger and submitted them via Dumping Union.
Yeah that's lame. This actually goes on all over the arcade community under the guise of "repair." Got a dead CPS2 game? I'll "repair" it for you. And even if the "repair" guy stated explicitly that these were "Phoenix" ROMs, probably nobody would ask (unless it were someone like you or me) if the "repair" guy has permission from Raz to use his files because most people don't even know how that exchange actually works.

Reproductions of some of Brandon's work (formerly MCS Arcade) has shown up there. Never have I recalled Brandon sharing any of his art files.
Also lame. But like the above, alot has to do with people not knowing who owns what. If some guy posts his custom arcade stick or shock box or whatever with flashy graphics, you can't fault the community for not calling him out if they don't know where it came from in the first place. If homeboy was like "hey guys I just lifted this art from some bloke over on Neo Geo" and no one called him on it, then yeah, that is a serious problem.

I also have a hard time believing that every piece of artwork that pops up here is rigorously background checked by the community to verify it wasn't lifted from someone else. I, too, hate people not getting proper credit for work they've done, but it's hard to police on something as vast as the internet. The best you can do is call out the cases you can actually prove.

Links, can't provide any now. A lot of the older threads on SRK seem to be gone. Did they have a mishap or issue a few years back?
I'm not sure. When I first started lurking/posting there, I did a lot of searching old content, but I honestly can't recall how far back it went. They did change to a new system maybe a year or 2 ago, but I don't know if they lost anything in the process (I do know that since then I was able to search for and find a few old threads).
-ud

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Don't get me wrong, I respect SRK for the one thing it holds, a very strong FGC. They will easily burn out a cheater or fake within the community when it comes to competitive play.

Just like NG forums does when someone gets screwed over in the marketplace or the most recent example. Someone selling boots of a NG Dev game even outside these forums.

Just 2 different animals. Tech is mainly profit driven there IMO. Which is good for a FGC and multiple vendors. Here we are more player driven with collectors and demand controlling a market and the tech side is more contributing than profit.

Just my opinion.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Also lame. But like the above, alot has to do with people not knowing who owns what. If some guy posts his custom arcade stick or shock box or whatever with flashy graphics, you can't fault the community for not calling him out if they don't know where it came from in the first place. If homeboy was like "hey guys I just lifted this art from some bloke over on Neo Geo" and no one called him on it, then yeah, that is a serious problem.

I think the right approach concerning the arcade graphics is the Southtown Homebrew model. They graciously host the same very inserts they offer for sale. They aren't going out of their way to make sure they are the only source of shockbox inserts. They give people options whether or not to use their services and many people do so with repeat business. Its bad form to sell arcade artwork lifted from arcade-otaku and not provide the source especially since he did not create any of it.

PS: undamned, clear your pm box. I've been trying to message you all day.