Congratulation Jasen Hicks - SRK Fight Stick of the Year & Tech Talk Company of the Year

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I think the right approach concerning the arcade graphics is the Southtown Homebrew model. They graciously host the same very inserts they offer for sale. They aren't going out of their way to make sure they are the only source of shockbox inserts. They give people options whether or not to use their services and many people do so with repeat business. Its bad form to sell arcade artwork lifted from arcade-otaku and not provide the source especially since he did not create any of it.

I have to agree, especially when it comes to reproduction artwork for restoration.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Here is an example for ya undamned:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/profile/mikeidge
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hyper-Street-Fighter-2-Anniversary-Cps2-II-Arcade-Board-Conversion-/131405152303?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e985b802f

For sale here is a street fighter 2 hyper anniversary arcade Jamma board. It was originally a marvel vs capcom board and was converted into a Phoenix version of anniversary. It plays exactly the same as the original and since it is a Phoenix version you don't have to worry about the suicide battery.

He sells them every few months, mostly all Hyper conversions.

He is also a member on here: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/member.php?33976-mikeidge

Last edited:

undamned

Pleasure Goal

I know Mike, actually, as well as some history on those boards (because he discussed it openly a while back. Don't recall if on SRK or not). Long ago (before he was even aware of conversions) he was shocked when he came across some guy selling HSFII for much less than the going rate. He ordered 1 and was intrigued because he wasn't aware of converted games. He is thick in the oldschool SF scene, so he bought a few more for events or whatever (as all he cared about was that they worked). I think he bought 4 total. He's slowly been offloading boards over the last couple years (both original carts as well as those conversions).

Being as he bought the conversions for legitimate use and his description is not misleading about what exactly he's selling, I can't technically fault him for selling them. Now, if he had personally converted these purely for profit, I would have a huge problem with him selling them. I think his prices are straight idiotic (I'd say CPS2 conversions should be no more than $100), but that's really the only thing I can fault him for on this particular issue.

I see this as a completely different situation than people offering a conversion service where they are stealing business from Raz.
-ud

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I know Mike, actually, as well as some history on those boards (because he discussed it openly a while back. Don't recall if on SRK or not). Long ago (before he was even aware of conversions) he was shocked when he came across some guy selling HSFII for much less than the going rate. He ordered 1 and was intrigued because he wasn't aware of converted games. He is thick in the oldschool SF scene, so he bought a few more for events or whatever (as all he cared about was that they worked). I think he bought 4 total. He's slowly been offloading boards over the last couple years (both original carts as well as those conversions).

Being as he bought the conversions for legitimate use and his description is not misleading about what exactly he's selling, I can't technically fault him for selling them. Now, if he had personally converted these purely for profit, I would have a huge problem with him selling them. I think his prices are straight idiotic (I'd say CPS2 conversions should be no more than $100), but that's really the only thing I can fault him for on this particular issue.

I see this as a completely different situation than people offering a conversion service where they are stealing business from Raz.
-ud

So charging $350 for a $120-$150 dollar tops conversion years ago is acceptable because he is known in the FGC and it was for events. That is acceptable?

He most likely bought them from BillD, the biggest CPS2 booter of that time period. If he cared and now knows full well what they are and advertises them as so. He would be selling them off for what he paid. Not marking them up for a profit.

While he didn't make them, its still an unacceptable practice.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Since when the hell did known bootlegs go up in value?

Time to start churning out some Pulstars.

undamned

Pleasure Goal
He most likely bought them from BillD, the biggest CPS2 booter of that time period.
I remember he said they were from a guy overseas. Is BillD outside the US?

So charging $350 for a $120-$150 dollar tops conversion years ago is acceptable because he is known in the FGC and it was for events.
There are 3 points here. First, the fact that I've had decent dealings with him at multiple events lends some personal credence (not that it really helps your view of him) that he's not just some internet gargoyle hiding behind his computer. Secondly, he purchased them years ago, used them for years to benefit events, and is now getting rid of some old gear. Nothing wrong so far. Third item is the problem: price gouging. I cannot support this personally, but at the end of the day he can charge whatever obscene prices people are willing to pay for something that has been properly described to them (yes, it still boils my blood).
-ud

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
So charging $350 for a $120-$150 dollar tops conversion years ago is acceptable because he is known in the FGC and it was for events. That is acceptable?

While he didn't make them, its still an unacceptable practice.

So charging market rate for a Neo cart now you bought 10 years ago for less is similarly unacceptable? 'Legitimacy' notwithstanding, that argument doesn't really hold water. Of course that's a pretty absurd price for a Hyper conversion, but it seems random to drag this particular user through the mud for shooting the moon on eBay.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I remember he said they were from a guy overseas. Is BillD outside the US?

There are 3 points here. First, the fact that I've had decent dealings with him at multiple events lends some personal credence (not that it really helps your view of him) that he's not just some internet gargoyle hiding behind his computer. Secondly, he purchased them years ago, used them for years to benefit events, and is now getting rid of some old gear. Nothing wrong so far. Third item is the problem: price gouging. I cannot support this personally, but at the end of the day he can charge whatever obscene prices people are willing to pay for something that has been properly described to them (yes, it still boils my blood).
-ud

Naw BillD is in the US.

My opinion on the price gouging still stands.

So charging market rate for a Neo cart now you bought 10 years ago for less is similarly unacceptable? 'Legitimacy' notwithstanding, that argument doesn't really hold water. Of course that's a pretty absurd price for a Hyper conversion, but it seems random to drag this particular user through the mud for shooting the moon on eBay.

You are saying a Neo Cart and market value. Not a Boot and false inflation.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
As some of you here know I have never offered a service to convert CPS2 games from one game to another. The only acception being SFZ2 to SFZ2A given that was an upgrade. The phoenix fixes were never designed for this purpose and I am against the practice. I guess if people want to buy these conversions from third parties with the potential of the issues that come with some of the incorrect phoenix fixes in MAME or the other fixes that have not had the encryption taken out correctly in many then that is up to them.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Thanks for the input Raz. I have come across a few ebay boards clients have purchased from sellers using those MAME dumps for original boards and have seen some issues and even Phoenix features not working at all. They also chose to go the clean ROM route to fix it.

The encryption code and fixes for coding is beyond my knowledge, you are the resident expert.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
You really have no clue what goes on here and in the hobby do you? There is a reason why SRK in general is disliked by many here.

No I understand too well, it is some the logic we used in the outside world that falls apart in the community.

Not referring to Jasen here (he's been great), but there a separation between free enterprise and contributing to the community.
Here in the Neo Geo forums like for example flipping items you got on the cheap for profit is not allowed here.
In SRK hell anything goes and idea stealing is quite problematic (not dropping any names here, I want to avoid that drama).

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
No I understand too well, it is some the logic we used in the outside world that falls apart in the community.

Not referring to Jasen here (he's been great), but there a separation between free enterprise and contributing to the community.
Here in the Neo Geo forums like for example flipping items you got on the cheap for profit is not allowed here.
In SRK hell anything goes and idea stealing is quite problematic (not dropping any names here, I want to avoid that drama).

Which is exactly what happened to KLOV as well. Many here just dislike or hate SRK.

I am starting to hate KLOV more and more. Just because flippers are selling trashed or half working boards at full price. Then their members are paying techs like me to fix them. KLOV is just full of Warehouse raiders doing clean outs and most not testing anything and have zero tech skill or knowledge. All about the quick flip and buck.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
A good community or avoiding drama - seems like you can't have both. I'd go with drama any day.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Drama here is better than anything on free tv, that's for sure.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
There are certainly those who try and make money off the back of work people primarily do for the community. When people do such work it is expected that they may want to make a little money from it and mostly the people in the community as a whole respect that given it keeps movement moving forward. The problem comes when people jump on top of that work and ultimately try any make their own money on top or even take money away from the person who did the original work. That is not in the community spirit. Things like Booting NGDT games, TurfMasta NBMs and people selling the latest universe bios (even when a free version is offered). These are acts by people who do not respect the community spirit at all and in effect are raping it instead. Then there are those who come into the community with the intent just to make money from it even if it is selling a unique item (which may also be a good product). The goal was to make money first and give something to the community 2nd. You can normally spot these people because they are the ones who also don't respect the work others have done for said community. The reality is people who do give to a community do it for the community first and the make a little money 2nd.

Last edited: