Sega Saturn / Rhea

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Sorry to bump this old thing, but I'm having a problem. A few months back when I got my Rhea, i had no issues playing games at all. Either CCD or CDI (From Bin+CUE). Now, for some reason, Rhea isn't playing shit. It detects games and will load them only as audio discs. Anyone else having any trouble? I've tried updating the firmware, verifying settings in DiscJuggler, downgrading my Daemon Tools to version 4.... everything...

EDIT: Most of the time it says 'Game Disc Not Suitable For This System'

HELP!

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
The only time I've seen that error is when my 4n1 cartridge is not pushed down all the way or dirty. Don't know if this applies with the Rhea?

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I actually JUST fixed it. I tore it down and realized the ribbon cable was crimped. Thank FSM I had another one in the ga(y)rage.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I had same problem but it turned out to be the main Saturn board was shot. It was sold to me as broken CD-ROM but that wasn't the case.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
I wish pre-orders were open again :/

I need this and the one for dreamcast!

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
the GDEMU preorders opened up a month and a half ago for, i shit you not, like an hour and a half. I landed one fortunately.now if i could get my BLW...

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Just an FYI, the Rhea preorders are open again.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I like the idea but I'm all set with this, I'm sure in time they'll make something that's easier to use, once they cross that gap I'm all over it, for now I'm happy with my modchip.

100proof

10 Year Member
Does anyone know if neuroacid has updated recently regarding a Rhea menu system? GDMenu has been a lifesaver and having to navigate using the button is a pain in the ass.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Does anyone know if neuroacid has updated recently regarding a Rhea menu system? GDMenu has been a lifesaver and having to navigate using the button is a pain in the ass.

Last update I saw from him he said that he was waiting for Deunan to implement the necessary feature firmware side for it to happen.

100proof

10 Year Member
Excellent. Is there a forum that he consistently posts in? All of the information I could find was hearsay and the only place I found actual posts from him hadn't updated in like 6 months.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Excellent. Is there a forum that he consistently posts in? All of the information I could find was hearsay and the only place I found actual posts from him hadn't updated in like 6 months.

Assembler games

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Just paid for a Phoebe to come in for my Saturn today, hopefully I get the shipping notice soon. I am hoping that neuroacid releases that RMENU soon, his GDMENU on Dreamcast works like a dream.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Very nice. I want one of these, as well as one for my DC but it sucks that you can only use a v1 DC for it. I have my tried and true v0 and its a PITA to go hunt down the right models.
The USB-GDROM by MNEMO looks promising but the information about that release went dead at the tail-end of last year.

How can you tell which version DC you have? I have one with a dead laser that I'd love to pop one of these in.

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
Just paid for a Phoebe to come in for my Saturn today, hopefully I get the shipping notice soon. I am hoping that neuroacid releases that RMENU soon, his GDMENU on Dreamcast works like a dream.

Any chance you could provide a link to the website that has them available?

I just checked the GDEMU website and it has said "pre-order closed" for the last few weeks.
https://gdemu.wordpress.com/ordering/ordering-rhea/

100proof

10 Year Member
Any chance you could provide a link to the website that has them available?

I just checked the GDEMU website and it has said "pre-order closed" for the last few weeks.
https://gdemu.wordpress.com/ordering/ordering-rhea/

GDEMU's website is the only place you can get them from new. He opens the pre-orders once every couple of months for 12-48 hours. Usually, he'll put a post up before he starts taking pre-orders giving a general timeframe for when it'll be open but not always. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. Assuming you get on the list, he sends you an e-mail letting you know and then usually it takes 4-6 weeks before he's ready to invoice you. Once you pay, it ships from Poland and gets to your doorstep in a week or two.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
How can you tell which version DC you have? I have one with a dead laser that I'd love to pop one of these in.

Flip over the dreamcast and look at the bottom label. In one of the corners you'll see either a 0, 1 or 2 inside of a circle. That designates the revision. I think you only have to watch out for incompatibility issues with a version 2.

fluxcore

Another Striker

Very interested to hear how the Phoebe goes. I need one for my Saturn, but my dollar's exchange rate is garbage at the moment so I thought I'd wait out the initial run in case there are any problems. I got first batch GDEmu and there were a couple of improvements made down the line.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Very interested to hear how the Phoebe goes. I need one for my Saturn, but my dollar's exchange rate is garbage at the moment so I thought I'd wait out the initial run in case there are any problems. I got first batch GDEmu and there were a couple of improvements made down the line.

I tinkered with it last night, I spent all day converting BIN+CUE and others into CDI images using Discjuggler 6 and the latest Daemon Tools Lite using default settings. Turns out it was a big mistake, out of 71 images I burned none of them worked. If you're burning CDI images, make sure you're using ~version 4 of Daemon Tools Lite and had to set the following four options: scan gaps/indexes; r-w (cd+g); pq; raw read

I also noticed that my rip of Batsugun has messed up audio, but I'm assuming that's not Phoebe's fault. I need to grab another copy and make a rip myself, all of the ones I've found online work like garbage. If someone has a good copy, pls PM me.

NINJA EDIT: I'm going to tinker a bit more tonight and make sure that Batsugun was the only one with unsynchronized audio, I'll report back.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I tinkered with it last night, I spent all day converting BIN+CUE and others into CDI images using Discjuggler 6 and the latest Daemon Tools Lite using default settings. Turns out it was a big mistake, out of 71 images I burned none of them worked. If you're burning CDI images, make sure you're using ~version 4 of Daemon Tools Lite and had to set the following four options: scan gaps/indexes; r-w (cd+g); pq; raw read

I also noticed that my rip of Batsugun has messed up audio, but I'm assuming that's not Phoebe's fault. I need to grab another copy and make a rip myself, all of the ones I've found online work like garbage. If someone has a good copy, pls PM me.

NINJA EDIT: I'm going to tinker a bit more tonight and make sure that Batsugun was the only one with unsynchronized audio, I'll report back.

I thought the most recent version of IMgburn had CDI support making burning DC ISOs pretty easy anymore?

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
I thought the most recent version of IMgburn had CDI support making burning DC ISOs pretty easy anymore?

wat. Gonna look into that. The problem was Daemon Tools working with Disc Juggler, idk if the new version of DT works fine other wise or if it's just got some compatibility issues with DJ6, but DT Lite v.4 works with it. I will test the new version of DT with ImgBurn and see how that works out.

Good news is that my old rip of Batsugun was bad, I found my old copy in my closet and made a new rip and the audio is working perfectly. The Phoebe is working pretty great!

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If the above suggestions don't work, you could always burn the DC images to a CD in their native format and then re-rip them from the new CD in the format of your choice if all else fails. Kinda wasteful, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. ;)

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
If the above suggestions don't work, you could always burn the DC images to a CD in their native format and then re-rip them from the new CD in the format of your choice if all else fails. Kinda wasteful, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. ;)

Regardless, DC games probably don't play too well on a Saturn ;)

Does anyone with a Phoebe/Rhea mess around with the INI file in the root of the SD card? I can't get it to change the region for me, "auto_region = 2" is the first and only line in my Phoebe.ini file and my games won't boot without an Action Replay :/

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Regardless, DC games probably don't play too well on a Saturn ;)

Does anyone with a Phoebe/Rhea mess around with the INI file in the root of the SD card? I can't get it to change the region for me, "auto_region = 2" is the first and only line in my Phoebe.ini file and my games won't boot without an Action Replay :/

Haha, I had dreamcast on the brain, but the technique still applies to all formats.